Newcastle United vs Tottenham Hotspur. Sat 13th April. 12:30pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes.

No.

I'll never understand some people's rigid disdain for statistics. Goals scored is a statistic, and it's what the entire game is about. A statistic is just a way to quantify something for comparison with similar situations.

Analytics is all about probabilities - what can you do to maximize the probabilities of scoring goals and minimize the probabilities of conceding. That's where, at a base level of analysis, possession became the Wenger (and others) dream. If you have the ball, the other team can't score.

But, of course, better analysis has come along and proven that your likelihood of scoring decreases proportionally to the length of time you have possession. The "most goals are scored within X seconds of a change of possession". Because, obviously, the longer you have the ball the deeper and more organized the defence gets. At the same time, your own defence pushes higher and becomes less defensively organized and more attacking oriented - leaving you much more vulnerable when you do concede possession

What we do poorly is hold the ball all the time cycling back and around and trying to play ourselves around 2 banks of 4 and through to the 6 yard box. What City and Liverpool at their height do is attack relentlessly, but quickly. Get the ball, move forward with direct intent to score. If you don't, the ball has turned over and the opponents defense is now in transition - press and get the ball back and you're facing a much less organized and rigorous defence.

I like Ange's philosophy of not lumping it out from the back and just giving the ball back to your opponents. But sometimes an attack has fizzled, and instead of just cycling back and side-to-side, just have a fucking shot from 30 yards and turn the play over. If you haven't scored after having the ball for 180 seconds, you're probably not going to score so stop fucking about.

I think my main problem is that our season has been backwards. Performances at the start of the season were of a team bedded into a system playing it fluently everyone knowing what we were doing.
Now we look like weve never met before and are not used to the system. We should be be playing now like first 10 games and vice versa.
If it was i think things would be a lot more positive but the fact it looks like we're getting worse is truely worrying.
Yes we're higher than expected in the league than i first thought we would be but its all petering out with a whimper

Takes longer than a season to bed a system in.

Klopp took 3 years to win anything

it’s time…

Premier League Celebration GIF by MolaTV
Well to be fair he would probably organize our defence, and get some decent defenders in 😜

This and Fulham A show what a basket case our squad and the whole set up of our First Team are. Hotspur Way needs to be gutted. It’s a cosy, luxurious nurturer of mediocrity. You can lose matches after a decent contest. Or you can just roll over like the lazy fat mammals we are. Embarrassing and pathetic. Ange is starting to worry me too. Talk of no tactics in training. Complete lack of pragmatism. Fuck me we are a cursed and diseased club.

#ConteWasRight

We can say all we want about the bad things Jose, and Conte brought to the club.

But both recognized winners throughout their managerial careers, and there aren't that many in that starting eleven that were out there today.

We struggle against the lowest of the low, something that is glossed over by a goal or three in injury time.

I am still out on Ange, his tactics and unbending plan on how to play the game. Time will tell but I have seen little progress since January, and wonder how he plans to improve players when we all see no genuine improvement playing just one game a week.

After recent performances and results we should not be surprised at that result. I am not sure why many posters put us as favourites for this game. Our defending of corners was abysmal and I am surprised it took so long to concede from a corner. We were the root of our downfall as individual mistakes led to the goals. Difficult to see where our next point is coming from and we need that 10 point cushion between us and 6th. We are missing Richie although I doubt he could have done much today.
Ange now has 2 weeks to get an improvement and he must not just obstinately stick to the same. Does not need to change his way of playing but needs to tweak it. 2 weeks to our next match and I am not looking forward to that as how can we have confidence of a good result after recent results.

Strangely, the ref pointed at parts of the pitch where other of our players had committed fouls, so he got booked for "totting up". I've never seen a player booked for other players cumulative fouls before. He was probably including Newcastle fouls too.
That was mad ridiculous. But refs are untouchable and they know it all too well.

We can say all we want about the bad things Jose, and Conte brought to the club.

But both recognized winners throughout their managerial careers, and there aren't that many in that starting eleven that were out there today.

We struggle against the lowest of the low, something that is glossed over by a goal or three in injury time.

I am still out on Ange, his tactics and unbending plan on how to play the game. Time will tell but I have seen little progress since January, and wonder how he plans to improve players when we all see no genuine improvement playing just one game a week.
Horribly I agree. We’ve been turgid this calendar year. Maybe it’s written in the stellinis that this time of year is just dogshite.

100%

People always say we melt or lack courage.

We don’t. There’s bottle in this side. We just crumble the moment we face any genuine quality.

I don’t even think that’s totally true either, we haven’t lost to a side above us have we?

It’s not so much crumbling against quality, I think it’s just not having enough quality to make it pay every week.

Back
Top Bottom