Newcastle United vs Tottenham Hotspur. Sat 13th April. 12:30pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So does that mean, once and for all that it's NOT a possession game
Yes.

and that statistics means fuck all??
No.

I'll never understand some people's rigid disdain for statistics. Goals scored is a statistic, and it's what the entire game is about. A statistic is just a way to quantify something for comparison with similar situations.

Analytics is all about probabilities - what can you do to maximize the probabilities of scoring goals and minimize the probabilities of conceding. That's where, at a base level of analysis, possession became the Wenger (and others) dream. If you have the ball, the other team can't score.

But, of course, better analysis has come along and proven that your likelihood of scoring decreases proportionally to the length of time you have possession. The "most goals are scored within X seconds of a change of possession". Because, obviously, the longer you have the ball the deeper and more organized the defence gets. At the same time, your own defence pushes higher and becomes less defensively organized and more attacking oriented - leaving you much more vulnerable when you do concede possession

What we do poorly is hold the ball all the time cycling back and around and trying to play ourselves around 2 banks of 4 and through to the 6 yard box. What City and Liverpool at their height do is attack relentlessly, but quickly. Get the ball, move forward with direct intent to score. If you don't, the ball has turned over and the opponents defense is now in transition - press and get the ball back and you're facing a much less organized and rigorous defence.

I like Ange's philosophy of not lumping it out from the back and just giving the ball back to your opponents. But sometimes an attack has fizzled, and instead of just cycling back and side-to-side, just have a fucking shot from 30 yards and turn the play over. If you haven't scored after having the ball for 180 seconds, you're probably not going to score so stop fucking about.

Last edited:
Let's stop kidding ourselves.

Ange ain't all that good, really. And neither are half our players.

Average manager. Average squad. But lots of money, nice hotels and Karting tracks
Levy out???

angry mob GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

Knowing us, we'll take points off Liverpool and Man City, whilst capitulating at home to the Arse!

we always seem to find more and more creative ways of giving them EXACTLY why they want!

...they've already won the league (twice) at our place, created Lasagnegate to pip us for 4th...
If we somehow conspire to help them to the title by taking points off the only two teams that can stop them. I think this season might somehow represent the full set!!

......hang on, who am I kidding... We're gonna get anhiilated by all THREE!!!

Yet again I have to say, Don’t play Sonny as a centre forward. He just cannot do it. With luck Richy is back v Woolwich.
We surely cannot buy Werner.
Never saw that coming with the team they put out. Cannot cater for Micky falling over all the time. Just a nightmare.
2 weeks till Woolwich. Christ.

was on here this morning seeing Blakey getting pelters. Hope there’s been a few apologies going his way.

Levels of baseless optimism among our ‘fan base’ are embarrassing and betray a lack of basic football knowledge

Knowing us, we'll take points off Liverpool and Man City, whilst capitulating at home to the Arse!

we always seem to find more and more creative ways of giving them EXACTLY why they want!

...they've already won the league (twice) at our place, created Lasagnegate to pip us for 4th...
If we somehow conspire to help them to the title by taking points off the only two teams that can stop them. I think this season might somehow represent the full set!!

Our club will do it's best to disappoint.

Yep. Contrary to what the Ange cultists at the start thought (with their bizzarely delusional proclamations that Ange was a '''winner'' and would have us challenging for a title) football managers are not wizards and ultimately are not the ones who go out on to the football pitch and play matches.

They're important, hugely so. But if you don't provide the framework for success they're not going to achieve miracles. I like Ange, he is clearly a good football coach and his style of play is progressive and works for this club. But there is no one mastermind plug-in-and-play coach who we could bring to this club and deliver consistent excellence with the squad as it is.
We have scored more goals at this time of the season without Kane, than with him last season

We have conceded more goals than any of the top six sides.

Therein lies the true issue.

We need a midfield worthy of the name, and a game plan that doesn't feature the word suicidal.

I think my main problem is that our season has been backwards. Performances at the start of the season were of a team bedded into a system playing it fluently everyone knowing what we were doing.
Now we look like weve never met before and are not used to the system. We should be be playing now like first 10 games and vice versa.
If it was i think things would be a lot more positive but the fact it looks like we're getting worse is truely worrying.
Yes we're higher than expected in the league than i first thought we would be but its all petering out with a whimper

And Chelsea. We're clearly not up for a fight.

Yes.

No.

I'll never understand some people's rigid disdain for statistics. Goals scored is a statistic, and it's what the entire game is about. A statistic is just a way to quantify something for comparison with similar situations.

Analytics is all about probabilities - what can you do to maximize the probabilities of scoring goals and minimize the probabilities of conceding. That's where, at a base level of analysis, possession became the Wenger (and others) dream. If you have the ball, the other team can't score.

But, of course, better analysis has come along and proven that your likelihood of scoring decreases proportionally to the length of time you have possession. The "most goals are scored within X seconds of a change of possession". Because, obviously, the longer you have the ball the deeper and more organized the defence gets. At the same time, your own defence pushes higher and becomes less defensively organized and more attacking oriented - leaving you much more vulnerable when you

What we do poorly is hold the ball all the time cycling back and around and trying to play ourselves around 2 banks of 4 and through to the 6 yard box. What City and Liverpool at their height do is attack relentlessly, but quickly. Get the ball, move forward with direct intent to score. If you don't, the ball has turned over and the opponents defense is now in transition - press and get the ball back and you're facing a much less organized and rigorous defence.

I like Ange's philosophy of not lumping it out from the back and just giving the ball back to your opponents. But sometimes an attack has fizzled, and instead of just cycling back and side-to-side, just have a fucking shot from 30 years and turn the play over. If you haven't scored after having the ball for 180 seconds, you're probably not going to score so stop fucking about.
Hang on, you're talking well thought out, tactical sense... So SOON after THAT performance?
.why aren't you screaming blue murder and melting like the rest of us??

's the MATTER with you man??

Son can absolutely do that in system where we have most of the ball provided you kept the ball to him quickly. There will always be opportunities for transition. The season started that way. Ange allows them now to keep the ball and pass incredibly slowly. So he's marked out of the game.
You've hit on something we see that hasn't come along like Postecoglou wants. The decision making still isn't quick enough. Hopefully that will come going forward.

Hang on, you're talking well thought out, tactical sense... So SOON after THAT performance?
.why aren't you screaming blue murder and melting like the rest of us??

's the MATTER with you man??
Something something Aussies are shite at football something something go karts something something something #LEVYOUT

:pochohshit:

Back
Top Bottom