New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I always maintained that Chelsea's Wembley plans were obviously a blocking effort designed to fuck us over. Absolutely no way that any reasonably managed stadium construction would require the 3 or 4 seasons at Wembley that Chelsea was asking for.

Chelsea's collapse this season has been so fucking massive for us on the stadium front. At the start of the season absolutely all of the authorities were adamant that we couldn't share Wembley. Look at them now. "Errr, did we say Spurs couldn't share Wembley? Well... umm maybe you can after all."

Chelsea's negotiations to play at Wembley helped rather than hindered us - the FA showed no interest in engaging with Spurs until they had got close to agreeing a deal with them.

Because they can't openly be seen to favour one team over another they had to talk to Levy.

Also, because of where Stamford Bridge is located it will take fucking ages to demolish and rebuild - loads of wealthy stakeholders that will make the process a nightmare.

The Evening Standards Monday sports reporter Tony Evans wrote an excellent piece on Spams last game at the Caravan, which outlines how new stadiums have sanitised and quelled atmospheres in most stadiums and West Spam might lose that effect in the free Olympic bowl !
With Celtic introducing safe seat area, I do believe it won't be long before English clubs try their luck.
Please let our new stadium still have that special feeling and noise to be proud of COYS

I'm not certain he is saying that new stadia are the issue. He says pricing and all seater are the issue.

The atmosphere at the Lane can be mental; see Woolwich last season, Everton last season and United this. Standing, as he points out, used to create a different atmosphere because mates could all go in together with the same intentions (throwing darts at West Ham fans....) but those same groups are now separated.

New Stadia is far from the issue, although it is absolutely spot on to berate the flat packed look of so many, it is all about the 700% rise in ticket prices, the inclusion of families (not a bad thing), and the unimaginable rise in media focus, meaning every and any possible affront to some berk is now vomited on Twitter, almost certainly by the pioneer of offence, The Daily Mail.

West Ham have a great deal on their stadium, which is why they can sell the tickets cheap and thus sell more. Thing is, huge numbers of West Ham fans won't turn up if the football isn't that great, and if they aren't winning something, or at least competing. That may be a problem for them, though I expect them to be better next season. Problem for them is that a lot of clubs will be better next season. Obviously, we won't know for a season or two as there will be a novelty at first. What I can see happening is a lot of neutral fans buying tickets because they are easy to get hold of, affordable and you can see the great teams like Spurs smashing West Ham. But those fans won't be cheering for West Ham they will be tourists and that will destroy their atmosphere even further - and atmosphere is clearly going to be a downside at the stadium already. If they increase their capacity to 66k that will just mean even more tourists. It isn't as if West Ham are going to challenge for the title is it, at best they might scrape into the CL in a very fortuitous season (but they didn't manage it this year, did they) but there is a lot of competition so it will be hard for them to become the kind of club that 66k true fans are going to want to go watch. Their stadium and deal means they make the most money from selling by volume, that is their bussiness model, cheap.

Their own manager today said: "You need to have a hostile atmosphere, be intimidating for away teams. Forget about it. No chance," said Bilic.

It improves West Ham's situation financially, it's basically good for them the size of club they are, but fortunately for us we have something better coming our way. We get to stay at WHL, while getting a huge stadium that is purpose built with over a decade of design having gone into making it atmospheric as well as profitable and somewhere that other fans envy.
I was hoping that WH would be forced to give more seats to away fans thus also reducing home advantage but does not look like the case.

Hey has any one had any information or any idea on how much season tickets will be at the new stadium? Me and my brother will get offered two and we will probably share them with a few other mates to spread the cost. I know the club sent out a questionaire before about possible pricing but i missed it.

I was hoping that WH would be forced to give more seats to away fans thus also reducing home advantage but does not look like the case.
They are not being forced to allocate more seats to away fans, however, they are selling season tickets to anyone that wants one.
This could lead to serious problems in crunch games such as ours or any London derby.

Changes from February until May...
OFeEW13.gif

So a lot of talk about how our send off at the end of next season will compare to West Hams last night.

Despite the obvious point of having a lot more to go on about than just "Pardew and Wenger had a fight", I saw the Hammers "celebrations" last night as more of a mourning. Perhaps this explains why the atmosphere went sour before the game (or perhaps they're just scumbags).

The move away from their spiritual home will have a profound effect on the fan base, one that shouldn't be underestimated by them. A move to a new stadium, whilst intending to be a driving force that helps a team to progress and grow its potential, can cause massive upheaval (Southampton's move from The Dell to St Mary's sticks in my mind)

Their slimeball chairman can talk it up all he likes about how much money they're going to be able to spend on players in their shiny new, preferentially sourced, rental stadium but the history and atmosphere that surrounds Green Street and Upton Park will be impossible to replicate in their new sterile and remote location. Think what you like of them, but Upton Park has always been a proper football place to go.

This is the major difference between our move and theirs. Yes, we are also losing our enshrined home of 118 years but to me what makes the Lane a special place is its location. Yes we have countless memories within its 4 stands but to me the ground is just steel and concrete. What makes it special is the environment and community that surrounds and the fans that fill it. Yes the new stadium will bring inevitable changes to the area and perhaps to the fanbase, but that is why we must work hard as it's new tenants to ensure that as much of the soul and spirit of Tottenham is invested in the new ground, and that the new ground belongs to the Tottenham area, as it does now, rather than the other way round.

Agreed mate. We are very lucky to be staying in Tottenham where we can keep with our pubs and our routines. I have been to the Olympic stadium once and it is a good distance from Stratford st and the boozers in west field. Imagine having pre match drinks in west field. Can't think of anything worse

They have basically thrown away those 100+ years or history. Given up for somewhere soulless that isn't a real home even. They are doing it for good financial reasons, but it still remains the case. Us...we are moving out while our house is renovated and remodelled, and then we go home, history more or less intact. It's still our house. I don't envy West Ham that's for sure and I think when they see what we get at the end of it they will envy us.

Back
Top Bottom