New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Did I just read that people believe that levy had no intention of moving to the Olympic Stadium?

I'm all for both sides of the arguement but that just plain daft .

Of course he wanted to go there if he could.

I don't think it was a bluff from Levy, it was a no-brainer from a financial POV to take over the OS site (and Sugar himself said that IIRC). We would now be looking forward to moving into a state of the art stadium, with fantastic infrastructure. Not still wondering when the new WHL will finally arise, and whether we will be playing in Milton Keynes for a couple of years.

And I don't see how Levy's fucked over West Ham. They've had the third biggest lottery win in English football history (after City and Chelsea), getting to use a £700m stadium for £15m and £2.5m a year. That deal is worth a minimum of £200m profit for West Ham IMO.
Have you even been inside the OS ? "State of the art Stadium" stop talking bollocks. It is the most expensive prefab on the planet. It was built with one purpose in mind, to house an athletics tournament, then to be reduced in size to do the same thing again albeit on a much smaller scale.
Just because it cost £700+ million doesn't make it fit for purpose.
You can't polish a turd !
As for your Lottery win scenario, they will always be a council tenant in an estate where all the other residents are "Home Owners". They can't possibly compete. Once the initial curiosity factor subsides West Sham will pale into insignificance. They have set themselves up for commercial and on the field failure.
Gold, Sullivan and Brady have played a blinder. They have successfully asset stripped and Arse Fucked a relatively high profile Football Club right underneath everyone's noses. I have no doubt they will do very nicely, the club and its fanbase will not.
You are right on one thing Greaves, Levy hasn't fucked West Sham over directly, he is far too clever. He has used a 3 horse race (if you include the Orient) to lean on Haringey and the Mayors office to get his way (mostly). If anything we have potentially won the lottery by staying where we are and getting what we want, A purpose built Arena with the options of other non football based commercial activity that THFC will benefit from. Do you really think anyone will want to invest heavily and over a long term in a Athletics Stadium that is hired out to a Football Club approximately 20 ish times a season.
Short term thinking-long term failure.

It's funny isn't it. Every few months we get a snippet of "positive" stadium news like this one about planning permission for an underground car park.
And before you know it people are lining up to suck Levy's cock.
We still don't know who's building it, or even what exactly is being built. Or when. And because the existing plans are 7 years old, the club very carefully let us know that some knew plans will be applied for towards the end of this year.
My oh my.....
Aaahhhh bless, you haven't been involved in the latest design plans? Mate I wouldn't stand for that. I mean, after all, you (and most of our fans) should be consulted with design options first so we can vote on whether we'd prefer a hot dog stand or coffee machine in block 42, right?

What sort of fanbase expects to be informed of every minor fucking detail in what is probably the most difficult and complicated stadium build in this country to date, given the land acquired, the opposition from council and certain businesses etc

It'd be 2050 before building started if they had a press release every time a decision needed making.

Seriously, I realise some transparency and communication is expected, but do we genuinely have fans that expect to be informed immediately of design changes?

I'd love to know another club/sports team that has done that.

Had we built a new stadium on the OS, as was the plan, (the plan wasn't to use the current stadium as at least one poster seems to think), I think it would have been cheaper, built quicker, and we would have benefited from the location, with both its infrastructure and nearness to the City, good for corporate hospitality I would imagine.

My guess would be it would have been worth between £200-400m for us, and for ENIC that would decided them, they would have chased the money. (As indeed they made it clear they were going for the OS option) And as an added bonus that would have fucked West Ham over, big-time.:thumbup:

Instead West Ham won, we lost, and it could be a turning point in the respective fortunes of our two clubs. West Ham were never to a threat to us at the Boleyn, they might now become one.

As for us, the stadium is still nowhere near built, we have the prospect of moving to Milton Keynes for a season or two, at some time in the future.

Have we raised sufficient finance for our new stadium yet, I don't know. Will the huge stadium cost impact on our spending on players, I don't know.

ENIC have been talking about the need to increase capacity/build a new stadium for well over ten years now, and still there is no definite completion date. Furthermore is Levy chasing NFL football now, and will that further delay matters with talk of 'retractable pitches' and the like. Whereas West Ham know pretty much for sure when they're moving in, and they're having a stadium built for them by the taxpayer. Nice work if you can get it.:thumbup:

Last edited:
More to the point though, why do us, as football fans, give a fuck who the building contracts are given to?

Am I missing something?

I just don't get it.

I'm a football fan, not an architectural enthusiast. WHO BUILT LILYWHITE HOUSE I NEED TO KNOW NOWWWWWW
Well I suppose the awarding of contracts means that something is happening. That's not the same as giving a fuck about who gets them.

Well I suppose the awarding of contracts means that something is happening. That's not the same as giving a fuck about who gets them.
thing is, you cant do that until you know whats going to happen long term. archway might have been given leave to appeal again. they might have been able to tie the whole thing up for another 5-10 years. you cant award a main build contract until you get the permission to build. so it will most likely go to tender once the final designs are approved

thing is, you cant do that until you know whats going to happen long term. archway might have been given leave to appeal again. they might have been able to tie the whole thing up for another 5-10 years. you cant award a main build contract until you get the permission to build. so it will most likely go to tender once the final designs are approved
Absolutely, I was just trying to point to something that indicated some forward thinking.

More to the point though, why do us, as football fans, give a fuck who the building contracts are given to?

Am I missing something?

I just don't get it.

I'm a football fan, not an architectural enthusiast. WHO BUILT LILYWHITE HOUSE I NEED TO KNOW NOWWWWWW

I think you may be missing something, yes.. This thread is about the NEW STADIUM and that does come squarely under Architecture. Plenty of Architects, Contractors, Plumbers, Ground workers are Spurs fans and ARE interested in this thread.

There are plenty of other threads on player transfers, paper gossip etc..........

There is quite a lot of evidence to suggest we didn't. It's probably the wrong thread to go into the details, but considering what was at stake for the US and the fact no one's been back for over 40 years. ......who knows. Why were there no stars in the sky etc.etc.
I'd say I'm 50/50 on this one

Okay. Got it now.

People seriously think we didn't land on the moon, and we're not building a stadium?

2258345996_a5fe2f9ced.jpg

Back
Top Bottom