New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Remember before all the disappointments the joy of seeing a major piece of construction completed? The cranes, the roof lift, the seats, the Cockerel?
Now we have almost become unbelievers. Now there is only dates and Safety Certificates to debate.
Woe is me. Woe, I tell you.
:memeokay:

I am curious about these test events ( I heard last week that they are happening in March ) one is on reduced capacity and one at full capacity....

But how do you “Force” 30,000 people in and then 61,000 for non competitive games. Even a big pre season game never sold out at WHL. What happens if 12,000 and then 17,000 turn up ? Are we even sure that “test events” are completely necessary in the way it’s being spun ?

Also, why would anyone demand 2 weeks notice ahead of a test event. What does 2 weeks guarantee?

I am curious about these test events ( I heard last week that they are happening in March ) one is on reduced capacity and one at full capacity....

But how do you “Force” 30,000 people in and then 61,000 for non competitive games. Even a big pre season game never sold out at WHL. What happens if 12,000 and then 17,000 turn up ? Are we even sure that “test events” are completely necessary in the way it’s being spun ?

Also, why would anyone demand 2 weeks notice ahead of a test event. What does 2 weeks guarantee?

Where did you see one of the test events was a full capacity one? Seems like a waste of time to me.

If there are 61,000 in the stadium then play a PL game, not a test event.

I think they'll give deadlines for tickets purchased via the level of membership or loyalty points etc in order to lock in certain fans for buying the tickets and give windows of opportunity to others. Let's be honest, the anticipation of the stadium opening would make a majority of fans turn up to watch an episode of Supermarket Sweep getting filmed there.

I also think that if the club needs a bare minimum regarding the numbers specified that fans will 100% turn up to help those numbers get achieved. Imagine being a fan knowing the club needs another 2,000 fans to go or they miss the criteria required to open the new build. We'll get enough, there's too many yiddos out there that simply wouldn't no show

Last edited:

We had 6,000 people turn up just to have a look in the South stand in December. I've got no worries about getting the amount of people need for these events, it's perfect for non season ticket holder to take the whole family to the new ground and see a friendly match or a training session

Does any one foresee any new theme music to be used....

I am sure that Duel of Fates ( is that right - the Star Wars one ) won’t be used ahead of kick off at the new stadium.

What could we have to signify our identity next ? Hopefully nothing as wanky as the Chav’s and fucking Madness !

I’d like something that screams aggression and fuck you ! Like Babe by Take That :deledoubt:

Does any one foresee any new theme music to be used....

I am sure that Duel of Fates ( is that right - the Star Wars one ) won’t be used ahead of kick off at the new stadium.

What could we have to signify our identity next ? Hopefully nothing as wanky as the Chav’s and fucking Madness !

I’d like something that screams aggression and fuck you ! Like Babe by Take That :deledoubt:
It won’t be, but I’ve always rated Fast As A Shark by Accept as walk out music. Total aggressive attitude.

The Test Events are a requirement to get a Safety Certificate, as laid down by the Sports Ground Safety Authority https://sgsa.org.uk/ and its not legal to hold events without one.

They will set down spectator numbers to pass the tests, thought to be circa 20,000 for the first one, circa 50, 000 for the 2nd test. If the SGSA believe the numbers are insufficient to pass the test then we don't get a Safety Certificate.

The notice period is more to arrange staff - both for the club (eg stewards) but perhaps more importantly for the various public bodies the club depends on to get people safely in and out of the stadium - including staff for extra trains and policing - and to arrange things like road closures etc.

Would have thought a possible home champions league qf first leg would be at wembley if the brighton game is postponed.
Just can't see our first game at the new stadium being a champions league game, don't think i want that either.
Huddersfield would do me.

Would have thought a possible home champions league qf first leg would be at wembley if the brighton game is postponed.
Just can't see our first game at the new stadium being a champions league game, don't think i want that either.
Huddersfield would do me.

4 potential CL quarter finalists have already beaten us at Wembley this season. Absolutely no way would we play there if the new stadium is ready. Be a massive hit financially as well.

Friends dad is working on the stadium. He doesn’t think it will be ready this year, let along in time for the start of next season.

The lack of transparency is a disgrace

That’s a horrible thought. Hope it’s not going to be that way. I was told system testing would be completed as of this weekend and we would know this week. Fingers crossed.

It would appear it's really close. I think it's less down the opinion of the workers now but down the logistics of the following:

- Council approval
- Prem approval on change venue
- Broadcast logistics
- Commercial deals
- Naming rights

Are we really going to play the first few games in an unnamed stadium?

You know full well Sky will take the opportunity to do a long segment on the new stadium which has massive appeal to a naming rights partner, they aren't going to part with the same loot after the hype has settled down.

When it's officially opened there will be a huge global PR push that loads of outlets will pick-up and run. A partner will want in on this action so for now I think the naming rights is the biggest piece of the puzzle we're waiting for.

Please, please, please let this be so, I don't think I can bear Wembley any more ................... trouble is, if we do have to be at Wembley for the rest of the season, I will still turn up!
I went the Chelsea SF game and said I wouldn't go back, missing the Dortmund game made me decide to break that for the weekend - I wish I hadn't, its not very good at Wembley.

After the match on Saturday I went over to the new stadium to take a quick look for the first time in nearly 2 years.

Holy crap, you could pretty much see it from the train at Bruce Grove! Then coming out of WHL station (which still looks like shit, hardly any work done there yet) you see it immediately.

You can't walk up any of the steps to the stadium as it was all cordoned off, but most of that area looked ready. It is hard to know for sure though as it's elevated so high from street level.

Behind the south stand and along the east there's clearly a lot of work going on still, but looks like it's pretty much just cosmetic stuff - paving etc. Imagine that could be wrapped up pretty quickly if there was a need to do so, but no point in rushing it if there isn't a need.

Through the glass of the main west stand entrance there's a lot of stuff unfinished, but not sure how integral that is to anything. Looks like a lot of stuff that could be just cleared away if the stadium was to open.

Oh, and the "M" above the media centre entrance isn't red, it's more copper/bronze coloured.

Back
Top Bottom