New rules for next season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As if they’re introducing this after one of the breaks. Implement it to start the season; you don’t change the rules partway through a season, that’s just bush league.

And we know how it goes. We get screwed by a bad call and it wouldn’t have happened two weeks later after the new implementation.

As if they’re introducing this after one of the breaks. Implement it to start the season; you don’t change the rules partway through a season, that’s just bush league.

And we know how it goes. We get screwed by a bad call and it wouldn’t have happened two weeks later after the new implementation.

Seems absolutely stupid not to have it for day one of the season. Amateur hour as usual!

View: https://x.com/henrywinter/status/1778414846591000752

Uh oh....the reason it is late is because it is still being tested!

A source has told ESPN that the Premier League is to part ways with Hawk-Eye, the current provider of offside technology, and the replacement company will not be ready with SAOT in August as additional testing is required.

SAOT will not be available until after one of the three Autumn international breaks -- though there's no confirmation if that will be in September, August or November as the Premier League wants to be sure the technology is reliable.

A source has told ESPN that the Premier League is to part ways with Hawk-Eye, the current provider of offside technology, and the replacement company will not be ready with SAOT in August as additional testing is required.

SAOT will not be available until after one of the three Autumn international breaks -- though there's no confirmation if that will be in September, August or November as the Premier League wants to be sure the technology is reliable.
I thought that they had already trialed this? For a league that makes as much money as they do, and has these enormous resources it's really amazing how inept they are. Never mind that this should've been done this way 3 years ago, now they're announcing this which will come into use partway through a competition...and it's not even tested?

I hate it already.

"SAOT also provides a much-improved graphical visualisation of an offside decision, rather than the current method of displaying lines on the broadcast camera."

I hate the fact that we'll be presented with a graphic the 'proves' offside, without us being able to judge for ourselves. We're not at a tennis match ffs! Offside is important.

SAOT is doomed to failure already. How long will it be before SAOT is proven to have got it wrong? I give it a month at most.

SAOT? Nah. Semi Hyped Innacurate Technology - I'd prefer the good old blind linesman. Then at least we know to expect errors and we're not being sold snake oil.

I hate it already.

"SAOT also provides a much-improved graphical visualisation of an offside decision, rather than the current method of displaying lines on the broadcast camera."

I hate the fact that we'll be presented with a graphic the 'proves' offside, without us being able to judge for ourselves. We're not at a tennis match ffs! Offside is important.

SAOT is doomed to failure already. How long will it be before SAOT is proven to have got it wrong? I give it a month at most.

SAOT? Nah. Semi Hyped Innacurate Technology - I'd prefer the good old blind linesman. Then at least we know to expect errors and we're not being sold snake oil.
But only for those at home watching on the telly. Those in the stadium still sat there without a clue what’s going on

But only for those at home watching on the telly. Those in the stadium still sat there without a clue what’s going on
True, unless you're inline with the play - and they'll put the bogus graphic up on the screens, to convince you Sonny was offside when he wasn't.

I hate it already.

This is comfort for a fool. 100% it will not be infallible.

That's slightly unfair, nothing is infallible.

If it's less fallible than the naked eye or current VAR it'll be a step forward.

In any event, the genie's out of the bottle now, it was probably uncorked when goal-line technology came in. Rightly or wrongly there's no going back.
Thinks, "Hmmmm - maybe my next username should be 'Nothing' ".

I thought that they had already trialed this? For a league that makes as much money as they do, and has these enormous resources it's really amazing how inept they are. Never mind that this should've been done this way 3 years ago, now they're announcing this which will come into use partway through a competition...and it's not even tested?

They have. Sounds like it is a new company the PL are using, presumably because they are in cahoots with them and have paid the PL to be the chosen company.

We will never just go back to it being a bloke with a flag. The game has now changed for ever. Will it be ruined within the next 20 years is the bigger question.

It'll be at Anfield, that's just one of those unwritten laws.

Then carry on the testing until the end of the season and bring it in at the start of the next one.

Changing rules part way through a season is farcical, and means that those who weren't impacted, by whatever caused the rules to change, will have gained an advantage.

9 times out of 10, we're the team that's suffered the issue that causes the change.

All they need to do now is automate 'ball out of play' and 'ball outside quadrant for corner kick' and they can do away with those bloody Linos for good.

Then they can work at doing away with that useless referee thing.

Then they can turn their attention to the real enemy - the fans in the stadiums. Piped crowd sounds will be much more acceptable.

That's slightly unfair, nothing is infallible.

If it's less fallible than the naked eye or current VAR it'll be a step forward.

In any event, the genie's out of the bottle now, it was probably uncorked when goal-line technology came in. Rightly or wrongly there's no going back.
I don't think it matters if it's actually right or not.

The important part is that people believe it has been decided by a program which would make the same decision regardless of the context.

Does anyone argue with a millimeter hawk eye decision in tennis? Nah, we don't bother, doesn't matter if it's actually right, it just seems unbiased.

I don't think it matters if it's actually right or not.

The important part is that people believe it has been decided by a program which would make the same decision regardless of the context.

Does anyone argue with a millimeter hawk eye decision in tennis? Nah, we don't bother, doesn't matter if it's actually right, it just seems unbiased.
The trouble with comparing it with Hawkeye in tennis is that they're very different scenarios...

In tennis Hawkeye can be called upon several times per game and scores of times during a match. Often the player gets a second chance (if it's a serve). Even if it's not 100% accurate, things probably balance out over a match. It's kind of run-of-the-mill.

In football it happens infrequently and often it's a very important, crucial decision. Get it wrong and it really matters. Additionally, it will be reviewed after the game and fans will see if it has made a mistake. Therefore I disagree with your first statement. It matters HUGELY.

Will be live all the time? Will it replace Linesmen or will the VAR operator send a message to the Linesman to put up the flag? How will it work? At present it only comes into effect if a goal is scored.

The trouble with comparing it with Hawkeye in tennis is that they're very different scenarios...

In tennis Hawkeye can be called upon several times per game and scores of times during a match. Often the player gets a second chance (if it's a serve). Even if it's not 100% accurate, things probably balance out over a match. It's kind of run-of-the-mill.

In football it happens infrequently and often it's a very important, crucial decision. Get it wrong and it really matters. Additionally, it will be reviewed after the game and fans will see if it has made a mistake. Therefore I disagree with your first statement. It matters HUGELY.
Yes it matters if people can see it's wrong.

My take is that if the program looks like it's always right, it doesn't matter if it actually is. Or rather, the marginal for error is so small that other footage can't disprove it.

Back
Top Bottom