New Manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree mate. The other month people were shouting we should go for Ancellotti. FFS!! Why would he leave RM?? We have to be realistic. Pochettino or FDB is our limit at the present. Until we start winning cups and move to a lovely new stadium, we have to hope for the best.

Agreed, I think Levy's over the top prefectionism has worn on the fans with everyone expecting god should be coming to manage us, we get Poch or FDB we are doing alright.

For sure, people can't just bleat people's names out at will and think that we have a realistic chance of attaining them. We are, at present, the 6th best team in England (and a financial clout similar to that). Frank De Boer is the best we can hope for, and even he looks more likely to stay at a club that is much more stable and welcoming than ours.

Blatant "I'm Dutch" post!!

I'm in the Potch camp, but this is interesting

Top be fair... you could argue that Poch AND FDB have turned 'decent enough' club sides (in terms of players) into teams that can, and have punched well above their weight.
The main difference being, is that is finishing 8th with Southampton (in terms of club size/history/fan base etc) a better or equal achievement to winning the Dutch title with a club like AJAX (with all their HISTORY and fans' expectations... sound familiar?)

In my mind, winning a trophy, and especially a League title, takes some doing... regardless of what league you're in (heh-heh, I said 'urine') so for my money, FDB's achievement is more impressive, and would stand him in good stead... then again, you could put FDB and AVB (when he went to Chelsea, and failed miserably) in similar brackets... both won titles/trophies in an inferior league to the Premiership... and, in AVB's case, was well out of his depth when he came over here... is FDB made of sterner stuff? I farkin' hope so!

Pochettino having experience of the premiership is a big plus, at least in the short term. It should enable him to hit the ground running.

If FDB struggled at first would he get the time to straighten it all out?

Converseley, one of the things I really like about FDB is that he has shown a pragmatism and adaptability in how he has managed that team. Year after year losing his best players, year after year he copes and wins the title. Thats a massive strength IMHO.

Thats aside from managing through the pressure and expectation year on year and seeing it to the end with a win.

I noted earlier - Pochettino lives a pretty pressure free environment. What are the expectations at Southampton?

FDB remains my top choice, but I think there is merit to either.

I would sign Steve Clark if it were up to me. He already did a (looks for a copy and paste of his name) Pochettino with WBA last season. Then the board thought the grass was greener Jol style with a run of bad results and fired him.

There isnt a team that hasn't had some slide of form, and it happened to him early and was one of the first fired in Dec. They went on to do worse and almost got relegated.

He was in the background of the resurgence of Chelsea. Everything about his style = what our team lacks: Corner/set piece beasts, non flashy handling of the press, firm but fair player/man management, always has a solid spine and he got the best out of a shit team.

I don't think will underthink it like Harry, overthink it like AVB and not get too emotional like Sherwood.

Last edited:
Still pulling for it to be one of the Dutch fellas, Just think the way the club is set from youth upwards would suit them perfectly. Plus I seem to recall reading something pre season last summer about how all levels at the club are trained to play 4-3-3 with emphasis on rotation and a crazy number of touches per session. Sounds like a Total Football advocates' dream to me.

That said I wouldn't be against Pochettino or even at a push Benitez. As long as it's not Moyes from the perceived frontrunners then I'll be behind them all the way.

Ajax is a great example of how the modern game has changed the world of football. I remember when Ajax were still a European Giant, but the game is all about money now, and the Dutch League just doesn't have it.,

As an Ajax fan, do you think FBD is a good fit for Spurs, and Spurs a good fit for FDB?

He is a great coach. I think Vitesse, psv and maybe even twente and feyenoord have better players if you compare them one on one. Slight differences though. Ajax played mainly decent but won cause they broke down teams with passing game. All from the organization, not based on the skills of one player/ striker. When he took over ajax was the brink of collapsing; financially, organization wise and even technically (depending on suarez, huntelaar etc.)

Now we got 4 titles

80m on the bank.

We havent bought any player over 4m (think maybe 4 players of 2-4m)

Makes semi decent players like blind and schone top players

Salarycap of 1m

Pbb 10 youth players in the squad

Average squad age is 23

Never ANY trouble in the dressing room (fdb put el hamdaoiu, a 2m a year striker on the bench in his first game; only he ever bitched (look at him now lol)

Always great with the media (when its shit, he says its shit. Never puts down players unless needed for motivation purposes) Hardly ever bitches about the ref

Lose best players every year; never complaints, even proud/ happy for them

So yes, he is fucking great and deserves a statue if he stays. Downfall at spurs would be kinda obvious; crazy expectations, no time to build up the team (he was youth trainer first so he knew all young players well). He should demand a 40m clausule if he gets fired. He is not in it for the money; fuck, he pbb agrees donating it to unicef

not sure about Poch, he's done alright at southampton, but let's not forget he was sacked at espanyol - where they were bottom of the league with 9 points from 13 games, before fionishing mid-table after he was sacked. FDB or the crazy spanish waiter for me

Personally, I think the next manager should be 'consistency'. I am sure that Mr Consistency is the one that will prove to be the best in the long-run. If that is FdB Consistency or Pochettino Consistency is secondary to me

So City have no history as well now, according to you? They won the old Division One exactly the same amount of times we did, along with 6 domestic cups and a European trophy in the pre-prem days.

At the end of the day your argument is illogical. Why do RM "piss all over the other clubs"? Tradition and history? That helps in terms of expectation and attractiveness to fans maybe, but in the modern era it is largely irrelevant. 78Spur is right. It is down now to who pays the most when building a side that can challenge - and the fact is that history is not just what happened 50 years ago, but what happened yesterday and what happens as we go along. Players go to Real because they can pay stupid high wages, have the best players in the world and have a realistic prospect of decent trophy hauls. They don't go there because of the trophies Real won 50 years ago.

There is certainly an argument that the recent successes of Chelsea and Man City have been considerably helped by the financial investment. But games still have to be won and these sides still have to compete against other teams with good players or similar investment. So, from that point of view, their trophy wins are still trophy wins - and that constitutes a history. An inferior history because of they way these trophies were won? Maybe, but it's still a history. Oh, and I never said Chelsea were "bigger" than us. What I said was that they are now a big club and they do now have a history, whether it's been "bought" or not. It's simply stupid to bury one's head in the sand and pretend that they are still midtable minnows. Like it or not they are direct competitors and now have ten times the amount of fans we have - and seriously, how long have you been holding onto that? I think I said that about 2 years ago. Wow. Anything for an argument, eh?

The problem with a lot of Spurs fans is that they are stuck in the past, clinging onto this notion of us as a big club with a grand history. But the vast majority of our trophies and success pre-date the Premier League era. For the past 20 years we've done very little and do you know what it's taken to even get us to be competing for the CL spots? Inward investment from a portfolio funded by, yup, a billionaire. Investment in a new training ground and a new stadium has come directly from that - and it's all being done so that we can fill more seats and afford to pay the better players the bigger salaries. What's more it's pretty much the only way we can remain in contention for CL, and eventually the title, and stay in with a chance of creating new history for ourselves. The only difference between City, Chelsea and us in the modern era is that the level of investment that they have is more direct and higher than ours. But talk to a fan of another club with past glories such as Nottingham Forest and they will likely make the case that we are where we are because of a billionaire benefactor. In historical terms, they are a big club too. But it doesn't seem to be helping them create new history.

These may be uncomfortable truths for keyboard warriors and blokes in the pub, but the fact is that the football world of 50 years ago is lost to the past and isn't coming back. We have to accept the reality of the present and move with the times.
Such an excellent post with so many home truths, and indeed home runs, to use a baseball analogy.

I love it for example when West Ham fans say, for example, Chelsea have no history, it just really shows them up big/time.

First time Chelsea were champions of England - the 1950s (IIRC 1955) - first time West Ham were champions of England ... oh wait (a very, very, very, long time :)

Amount of major trophies Chlesea won pre their lottery win - 7 (from memory) maybe more- West Ham obviously much more, being as they have 'istory - must be about 20, okay no, 15 then, 10? - nope 4, yep less than no 'istory Chelsea.

Of course City and Chelsea had 'history' before their lottery wins, (City won the lge in 1968, we last won the lge in ... you know the answer) but they were smaller clubs than us. Now Chelsea have 'more history' than us because they have more trophies and higher quality ones (5 titles, about, to our 2 - one CL/EC to our none, etc)

City are catching up, and unless we get new owners will probably overtake us in the next 20 years.

Really don't see what all the fuss is about Pochettino - a big risk so no thanks. Got a feeling Levy is letting the press build him up to flush out his real targets.

For me it has to be Benitez or maybe FDB.

Benitez is my favourite as he has loads of top level experience and did a good job at the bindippers - if Manure hadn't won 12 of the last 13 games a few years back they would have won the PL plus he's a Champions League winner . He also did a great job at the chavscum in very difficult circumstances - ideal preparation for Mr Levy's antics !

Just hope whoever gets the job is given time to implement their plans but I am doubtful they will get the chance.

For the long term, FDB has authority, experience and an attacking blueprint. Benitez would seem to be a good option in terms of stabilising the ship, but doesn't excite me. Pinocchio seems too much like previous managers- done ok elsewhere, might be the next big thing, but won't last two seasons and will end up coaching in Azerbaijan.

People already cunting Poch before he's ever even potentially coached a game at Spurs. Then we'll all act confused why Levy has such a quick trigger finger.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Your support matters.

Martinez (proven, not likely), de Boer (a top prospect) or Benitez (proven, if a little eccentric & not much prospect of equalling his past achievements)... In that order please Mr Levy... I just don't feel the love for Pochettino. Frankly if he is our next thing- I genuinely think we should've stuck with Tim or AVB or Harry. Improvement is needed. & time to implement improvement- through some minor squad changes & management stability. Just give us a bloody season where we all see it taking shape with no major changes & knee jerking.

Back
Top Bottom