Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Here's just a few techniques ... are you saying a professional at both International and EPL level for a decade can't handle these as well as a raw 18 year old .... is that the argument?

Passing with the inside of the foot
with the outside of the foot
with the instep
crossing the ball
Shooting with the instep
with the inside of the foot
on the half-volley
on the volley - from the front
Heading at goal from high crosses
Trapping the ball with the foot
Feint and dribble the passing move
the shooting move
the body move
the back-foot move
the scissors move
Ball control looking up before you receive the ball
close control
Running with the ball close control
Turning with the body move

Attacking play
Principles of attack give support
passing - distance
Passing play looking up
2-1 situations wall pass
Runs deep runs
diagonal runs
v-runs
create your own space
create space for others
Crosses late crosses
Finishing runs for crosses
clear - unpressured

Defending
Principles of defence goal-side
marking
covering
pressing
danger areas
1-1 situations challenged - intercept
Defending around the box central attacks
attacks on the flanks

Which of those techniques would you say Sissoko excels at, in the context of top PL level?

You are making a fool of yourself. You know perfectly well what I meant when I said technique. And even then, most of those criteria, Sissoko is technically poor at in the context of the level he is operationg, and in relation to some of our (and many at other clubs) academy players.

Do you think gaining an international appearance suddenly makes you a different /better player. 24 months ago, was Mbappe’s technique automatically worse than Sisdoko’s because Sissoko had 50 caps and Mbappé played in an academy?

Sissoko started accumulating caps when France were in a transitional phase, had also banned the 23 players from the Squad and were managed by two coaches who failed miserably (Domenech and Blanc), Deschamps kept picking him as they went through that transition, to many peoples incredulity. In the same way that international managers often take daft choice (see every England manager ever).

There is a reason why Sissoko has played the majority of his club football at Toulouse and a very shit Newcastle (that was relegated).

Here's just a few techniques ... are you saying a professional at both International and EPL level for a decade can't handle these as well as a raw 18 year old .... is that the argument?

Passing with the inside of the foot
with the instep
crossing the ball
Shooting with the instep
with the inside of the foot
on the half-volley
on the volley - from the front
Heading at goal from high crosses
Trapping the ball with the foot
Feint and dribble the passing move
the shooting move
the body move
the back-foot move
the scissors move
Ball control looking up before you receive the ball
close control
Running with the ball close control
Turning with the body move

Attacking play
Principles of attack give support
passing - distance
Passing play looking up
2-1 situations wall pass
Runs deep runs
diagonal runs
v-runs
create your own space
create space for others
Crosses late crosses
Finishing runs for crosses
clear - unpressured

Defending
Principles of defence goal-side
marking
covering
pressing
danger areas
1-1 situations challenged - intercept
Defending around the box central attacks
attacks on the flanks

Yes, there are a number of techniques. That doesn't change the fact that an unknown 18 year old can have better technique, overall, than a well known professional. You seem to overestimate technique as a determining factor for wether or not one can make it as a professional Of course, technique at a certain level is necessary, and better thsn said certain level is advantageous, but to make it as a professional it is equally or more important to have:
- Physical ability;
- Mental strength;
- Tactical awareness; and
- Effort.

Edwards, although having better technique than Sissoko, most likely has less physical ability, mental strength, tactical awareness and effort.

He's fit in bloody well these last couple of weeks when we have played a 4-3-3 imo

I am certainly not saying that he has nothing to offer. And particularly when we are under pressure or we are facing threatening turnovers (probably not the correct term) from attack to defense or when we have a chance to counter attack, he can be very good (in the latter situation: up until the point where he has to release the ball). But most often we face a compact, careful team, and the lad has little creativity and even less in terms of technical ability to open a tight defence (yes, I am aware of the assist).

He is continously showing an ability to get into dangerous positions, but is just incapable of actually scoring. If he could get the ball acrosd the line, he could be good as an am. As it stands though, he has quite a few players ahead of him.

Which of those techniques would you say Sissoko excels at, in the context of top PL level?

You are making a fool of yourself. You know perfectly well what I meant when I said technique. And even then, most of those criteria, Sissoko is technically poor at in the context of the level he is operationg, and in relation to some of our (and many at other clubs) academy players.

Do you think gaining an international appearance suddenly makes you a different /better player. 24 months ago, was Mbappe’s technique automatically worse than Sisdoko’s because Sissoko had 50 caps and Mbappé played in an academy?

Sissoko started accumulating caps when France were in a transitional phase, had also banned the 23 players from the Squad and were managed by two coaches who failed miserably (Domenech and Blanc), Deschamps kept picking him as they went through that transition, to many peoples incredulity. In the same way that international managers often take daft choice (see every England manager ever).

There is a reason why Sissoko has played the majority of his club football at Toulouse and a very shit Newcastle (that was relegated).

I have no feckin' clue what you are on about most of the time ... your so obviously pre-written match analysis where you rate the player 90% of all pundits, media, and fans had as Spurs MoM as 'rubbish' just about sums your agenda up ...

As to the question do I think playing top flight football and International football make you a better player than an unproven spotty teenager? ... of course I feckin' do ... only a complete idiot would think anything else ...

If your teenagers were all so much better they'd be playing at the top level .. that's how it works ...

53 caps for France were all down to luck ... so no agenda with that statement ...

Any player in a lesser team, or in a team that gets relegated is shit? ... so no agenda with that statement either ...

How about DeCanio relegated with West Ham, Roy Keane relegated with Forest, Juninho relegated with Boro, Parker relegated with West Ham ... all great players at shit teams ...

We all know you have an anti Sissoko agenda - you're not alone - but to try and claim that a seasoned top level professional got a load of 'lucky' caps, only played at rubbish clubs, and has less ability than an unproven academy player ... that's just taking an agenda and going feckin' mental ....

I have no feckin' clue what you are on about most of the time ... your so obviously pre-written match analysis where you rate the player 90% of all pundits, media, and fans had as Spurs MoM as 'rubbish' just about sums your agenda up ...

As to the question do I think playing top flight football and International football make you a better player than an unproven spotty teenager? ... of course I feckin' do ... only a complete idiot would think anything else ...

If your teenagers were all so much better they'd be playing at the top level .. that's how it works ...

53 caps for France were all down to luck ... so no agenda with that statement ...

Any player in a lesser team, or in a team that gets relegated is shit? ... so no agenda with that statement either ...

How about DeCanio relegated with West Ham, Roy Keane relegated with Forest, Juninho relegated with Boro, Parker relegated with West Ham ... all great players at shit teams ...

We all know you have an anti Sissoko agenda - you're not alone - but to try and claim that a seasoned top level professional got a load of 'lucky' caps, only played at rubbish clubs, and has less ability than an unproven academy player ... that's just taking an agenda and going feckin' mental ....

Bangkok - have you any evidence for your assertion that '90% of all pundits, media and fans had Sissoko as Spurs MoM" on Monday night??

Because, if you have, then I (presumably along with bus conductor) am one of the 10% and if that is the case I'm failing to see something obvious.

It is that faction that need are ruining constructive discussion. Not those of us, more realistically, saying "he's trying hard, he did well by his standards, but those standards are well below the level we are aspiring to".

That's very constructive, I don't think

In fact for someone who asks for " constructive discussion" all your posts on Sissoko and , more especially, Dier are incredibly Destructive.

Bangkok - have you any evidence for your assertion that '90% of all pundits, media and fans had Sissoko as Spurs MoM" on Monday night??

Because, if you have, then I (presumably along with bus conductor) am one of the 10% and if that is the case I'm failing to see something obvious.

I posted comments and links a few pages back .... he was either MoM (for Spurs) or in the top 2/3 of player ratings with just about every newspaper, he was also or highest rated player on both OPTA and SQWAKA ....

He may not be "world class" but on Monday he was very good ... should also be noted that he was the player called on to see out last night ... Poch has faith, why can't a few more of us get onboard? ....

So on that argument what is the reason that we paid £30 million for him and he is clearly in Poch’s plans?
And don’t trot out the old ‘panic buy’ argument because it doesn’t wash and no way would Levy have sanctioned his purchase without Poch’s say so

Poch clearly rates him even though you and a few others clearly don’t

Why not try and concentrate on his attributes and what he brings to the team instead of constant carping criticism?

So you didn’t think that he had a good game?

I was at the pub last night and spoke to 10 people
9 said he had a good game
= 90%
The other was a Chav!

I kept count as the Guinness flowed

Honestly

I think people need to get over their Sissoko hate. He's not going anywhere, he seems like a good teammate and worker from all reports, and he can be very useful against certain opponents and matchups. He's a very good squad/depth player.

I think people need to get over their Sissoko hate. He's not going anywhere, he seems like a good teammate and worker from all reports, and he can be very useful against certain opponents and matchups. He's a very good squad/depth player.

Well, fair enough. It's not hate though, it's despair.
Like you say, I'll try to get over it!

Ha! No Baz, I agree - he had a good game.
But I sure as hell didn't think he was MoM, neither apparently did most of the fans sat around me......

Well they were probably all Sissoko fans but were intimidated by your wit and repartee and biceps

:nawty:

Just want to say that the way Sissoko has played these last few games has made me feel a bit guilty about some of the things I've said about him in the past. He's trying and, in a few cases, succeeding very well. Still a WiP, but actually thought he deserved a MoM against Shitty.

:pochbye:

Not his natural position, and that showed, but still a good shift, certainly made Tripper look a bit better player with Sissoko giving him cover .....

Watch at the end of the game - the away fans give it a "woah Mousa Sissoko" and he comes over and gives his shirt to a guy in a wheelchair ...

Haters could learn a lot from this lad's class .....

Last edited:
Solid again... Had another good game.

As mentioned above, crowd now starting to warm to the big fella, and he deserves some praise. May it continue.

Lacking that finesse and finishing touch, but all teams need a worker.. Going well IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom