Midfield

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think you need to look at the calibre of teams we've faced since losing Sandro. Since we've played QPR and lost Sandro, the only team you wouldn't have expected us to beat is United. I think it's only fair to compare results when it's an even field.

At the same time, I don't think we've looked as solid from the middle, and less capable of moving the ball forward.

I dont think we have really lacked anything in midfield since Sandro's injury. Bringing Parker in for Sandro isn't as bad as its being made out to be.

Yes Sandro is better but to have but Parker as back up, to slot into his spot that he played so well in last year is ok with me. Hopefully his fitness will improve as he gets more games and just like any player, once you get a rhythm going performances will improve.

Hopefully Sigurdsson will get his chance soon. It's a shame the majority of our new signings are fighting for similar positions,it will test his character wether he can stay motivated to get in to the starting line up on a more consistent basis.

But don't get me wrong Dembele Holtby and Dempsey have all performed well which has kept Sigurdsson out, but maybe some players just take more time to settle at a new club than others.

Not to turn this into a transfer thread, but I'd love to see us sign Wanyama. Parker, for me, doesn't seem to be in the same page tempo-wise with the rest of the squad. Parker is still capable of that fantastic through ball (See Bales goal in the FA cup semifinal), but I'd love to see us get goals from everyone in the midfield.

Not to turn this into a transfer thread, but I'd love to see us sign Wanyama. Parker, for me, doesn't seem to be in the same page tempo-wise with the rest of the squad. Parker is still capable of that fantastic through ball (See Bales goal in the FA cup semifinal), but I'd love to see us get goals from everyone in the midfield.

I agree. When the time comes for transfers, then yes we do need some one to fit in with the rest of the squad tempo-wise but for now having Parker as cover is ok at the moment. Yes we compensate when he is there but were compensating for someone who is proven in our squad, who can do a good job.

We have enough quality with the rest of the midfield to attack the opposition. It's up to them to make it happen. Not necessarily Parker or Sandro

The thing that really gets to me with Parker is that rather than playing a 25 yard pass to someones feet as soon as he gets it, he instead chooses to run the ball to that person, taking away or making smaller the space the player he is giving the ball to has and also adding an extra one or two defenders. :parker:

And then having run straight at the player and passed to them, he continues to run straight at them and demand the ball back, effectively taking his own team mate out of the team while giving the opposition all day to adopt their defensive stance...

I think you need to look at the calibre of teams we've faced since losing Sandro. Since we've played QPR and lost Sandro, the only team you wouldn't have expected us to beat is United. I think it's only fair to compare results when it's an even field.

At the same time, I don't think we've looked as solid from the middle, and less capable of moving the ball forward.
Fair comments, but you can only beat what's in front of you. We lost to Toon and only drew with West Brom and AFAIK Sandro played in both of those games, so there's a like for like comparison. We also drew with Norwich both with and without Sandro, IIRC. Again seems like and even playing field to me.

We got five points from the 4 teams with Sandro playing and eight points from the same 4 teams without him, so on 'even playing field' we did considerably worse with Sandro.

I think Parker and Dembele are being way over-criticised, though may change my mind in 3 hours time :)

I dont think we have really lacked anything in midfield since Sandro's injury. Bringing Parker in for Sandro isn't as bad as its being made out to be.

Yes Sandro is better but to have but Parker as back up, to slot into his spot that he played so well in last year is ok with me. Hopefully his fitness will improve as he gets more games and just like any player, once you get a rhythm going performances will improve.

Hopefully Sigurdsson will get his chance soon. It's a shame the majority of our new signings are fighting for similar positions,it will test his character wether he can stay motivated to get in to the starting line up on a more consistent basis.

But don't get me wrong Dembele Holtby and Dempsey have all performed well which has kept Sigurdsson out, but maybe some players just take more time to settle at a new club than others.
Well said, the results don't even suggest that Sandro is better, in fact they suggest he's worse. Certainly I don't get this criticism of Scott.

And then having run straight at the player and passed to them, he continues to run straight at them and demand the ball back, effectively taking his own team mate out of the team while giving the opposition all day to adopt their defensive stance...
And yet we're doing better with him in the team instead of Sandro .... mmmmm Don't say much for Sandro does it, if Parker's so incompetent, ineffective, whatever.

Is that what I said? Im quite sure its not.

I pointed out something he does frequently that frustrates me. Doesnt mean I dont rate him as a player or am a Sandro fan boy or whatever.

Fair comments, but you can only beat what's in front of you. We lost to Toon and only drew with West Brom and AFAIK Sandro played in both of those games, so there's a like for like comparison. We also drew with Norwich both with and without Sandro, IIRC. Again seems like and even playing field to me.

We got five points from the 4 teams with Sandro playing and eight points from the same 4 teams without him, so on 'even playing field' we did considerably worse with Sandro.

I think Parker and Dembele are being way over-criticised, though may change my mind in 3 hours time :)
As with you, I don't think Parker is as bad as made out, but I do just think Sandro is better, stats aside.

Those first three games you mentioned, I think was the result of us not knowing the system too well. They were also the games without Dembele or Lloris, and where Vertonghen wasn't a starter.

I think the sort of thing we miss without Sandro is his ability to win the ball back and push it on quickly, starting counters. Prime examples being our second at Old Trafford, and second at Villa.

As with you, I don't think Parker is as bad as made out, but I do just think Sandro is better, stats aside.

Those first three games you mentioned, I think was the result of us not knowing the system too well. They were also the games without Dembele or Lloris, and where Vertonghen wasn't a starter.

I think the sort of thing we miss without Sandro is his ability to win the ball back and push it on quickly, starting counters. Prime examples being our second at Old Trafford, and second at Villa.
Fair comments, I'm only really having a go about the results because I'm fed up with the Parker and Dembele bashing that's going on.

As I've said many a time I think Sandro's a tremendous player, though all the 'beast' stuff gets on my nerves, and I think he is overrated by some Spurs fans. He's a long way from being the next Dave Mackay IMHO, yet some seem to think he's on that kind of level.

Back
Top Bottom