Midfield

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It is, I think, quite apparent that we have lacked something in midfield, I don't know, someone like The Beast. Parker hasn't returned the player he was and is taking too long to get back to his former self. I am tempted to think the game against West Ham we should drop Parker, put Dembele in the holding role, drop Holtby deeper and put either of Dempsey or Sigurdsson behind Adebayor. I'm tempted to go with Sigurdsson as I just don't have faith in Dempsey.

Either way, we need Dembele and Holtby in the deeper roles so we an get the transition from defence to attack with precision and speed, I love Parker for what he helped us do last season but he is a hindrance currently.

jake-livermore.jpg

Agreed. Dembele and Holtby with Siggy in front of them for me. Siggy is a genuine goal threat, just needs one to go in and a proper go in a game instead of 10 minutes and I think he could be on his way.

r.e. Dembele

For a playmaker / central mid - I'd like to see more incisive passes towards the goal/opposition box as opposed to countless dribble runs and side-ways 'Parker-style' lay offs. He needs to improve that aspect of his game, imv - the final ball through the defence, etc. - other than that - great player all-round.

There was a classic example yesterday where he had the opportunity to release Bale early (first half) but chose to driblle instead and lost it

Sandro being out has highlighted the lack of quality in depth in our midfield.

It was a big mistake not breaking the bank for Moutinho.
I disagree mate. Parker has been a stalwart for us in previous seasons. I don't think anyone expected him to struggle like he has since coming back. If he was playing to his previous level, we wouldn't be having this conversation... Who can predict form?

Definitely wouldn't drop parker for the spam match and I wouldn't start siggy either.

The mf of lennon parker dembele holtby bale is pretty strong imo. I just think that dembele is dropping too deep since sandro went. Its like he doesn't trust parker as much as sandro.

Parker is definitely struggling, his passing is at times a little erratic, but am I the only one who quite likes his little pirouettes?

I'm not sure I would alter the team too much at this stage of the season, as I'm not really sure making big changes to the spine of our side will be very good for us to be honest.

Parker isn't playing great but he isn't playing bad enough to drop, and neither is Dembele.

Parker's pirouettes slow everything down. It's almost like an affliction for him, his first instinct is to stop and turn 360 before playing it backwards. It's a habit he needs to kick.

The thing that really gets to me with Parker is that rather than playing a 25 yard pass to someones feet as soon as he gets it, he instead chooses to run the ball to that person, taking away or making smaller the space the player he is giving the ball to has and also adding an extra one or two defenders. :parker:

I think Parker SHOULD play on Monday for one good reason:

THE CURSE OF THE 'EX'

...and seeing as Defoe won't be available, even more reason to stickwith Cptn. Parker!

I disagree mate. Parker has been a stalwart for us in previous seasons. I don't think anyone expected him to struggle like he has since coming back. If he was playing to his previous level, we wouldn't be having this conversation... Who can predict form?

I don't think Parker is showing a huge lack of form (though he has dipped), I just don't think he's suited to 'possession football'. Parker is still great at tracking, harrying players and breaking up play, but previously his remit was simply, 'win it and pass to Modric'. When we play against teams who sit back, he's now expected to play forward balls and create something, but he's just not that kind of player. His pirouettes are him trying to turn while shielding the ball, because that's his mentality, to protect.

Parker has his skillz, but he's not a massively technical player and therefore isn't so creative with the ball, whereas Sandro can tackle as well as Parker, his vision and passing is better too. Don't get me wrong, Parker has been massive for us, and there will be times we need Parker in there, but when teams like Lyon concede the midfield, there is no battle for Parker to win.

There was a classic example yesterday where he had the opportunity to release Bale early (first half) but chose to driblle instead and lost it

That pissed me off immensely. Bale was in on goal, one on one. I could've played that pass.

Bale was livid when Dembele didn't pass.

Well we've been over this before, but let's do it again. Our midfield is doing better WITHOUT Sandro than with him. Yep, that's the facts, without the mighty all-conquering beast we're getting a higher ppg than with him.

Oh and yes I think Sandro's a tremendous player. Though all this 'beast' stuff makes me cringe as much as the 'cool' stuff does about BAE, maybe cos I's is a miserable old git :)

It may be after Monday things have changed, but so far our mid is doing very nicely thank you. And for me we needed a striker far more than Moutinho.

Oh and yes I think Sandro's a tremendous player. Though all this 'beast' stuff makes me cringe as much as the 'cool' stuff does about BAE, maybe cos I's is a miserable old git :)
When Sandro went off against QPR he was first in the league in tackles, and second in interceptions. He is a fuckin beast. Benny does post match interviews with a toothpick in.

Back
Top Bottom