Mid Season Player Review

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The season so far
Premier League 6/10
Inconsistency will be the key word throughout this review. It is understandable with so much change. Losing our best player, and bringing in 7 new ones from outside of the league. If you took away 3 games (West Ham, Man City, Liverpool) we have done well. We have not been scoring enough goals until Sherwood took over, but there have been some games where we have played very well, created chances and we have been solid at that back, especially away from home. In the Premier League away table we our joint top with Woolwich. But you cannot overlook those 3 games where we looked awful, and it has effected us massively in the in the table in terms of points and GD.

Europa League 8/10
We won every game, only conceded one goal, so you cannot really complain. It was however a seriously weak group, and it would have been nice to see more young players given a go.

League Cup 5/10
We looked incredible agaisnt Aston Villa, but were lucky to get past Hull City on Penalty's in a game we should have won quite easily. The West Ham game was bitterly dispointong

Managers

Andre Villas Boas - 6/10
I backed him all the way as our coach, believed in his ideas and vision for the club. But the football we were playing was boring, and he was to stubborn with his tactics, and did not play to the strengths of the players he had. I beleive it was the right decision to let him go. Despite that, he still left us in a good league position, and had us into the next round of the League Cup & Europe. I will always appreciate him for giving everything he had for the club, his biggest achievement was turning us into a team that could win more than 5 games a season away from home.

Tim Sherwood - 8/10
I have questioned every team selection, formation and substitution he has made so far, but he has proved me wrong every time. I do worry that long term we will be exposed playing 442, especially if its with 2 wingers and not DM. But he appears to have the backing of a talented squad of players. I am particularly impressed with how he has given young players a shot, and how he is winning games with so many injuries.

The Players
Hugo Lloris - 7/10
Looks to have digressed slightly from last season, I think he has had to much to focus on playing as a sweeper keeper. Hopefully he can work on the minor errors he has been making because he is a top 5 Goalkeeper in the World.

Brad Friedal - 5/10
Respect the guy for what he has done in Football, and he was a solid keeper for us in the Season he played, but he is so drastically different to Lloris that even as a keeper it messes up the team. I like that he is at the club, but he should be a 3rd choice and only played in real emergencies.

Kyle Walker - 8/10
Not sure where anyone gets inconsistent from. If anything he is our most consistent player and all the stats back this up, and he looks even better now that he can get forward more. Solid defensively, covers for Dawson, gives us something going forward. Hopefully he keeps it up to secure his world cup spot.

Kyle Naugton - 5/10
A decent backup Right Back, but deffinatley not a left back. I cannot see us getting any better for a back up unless Fredricks/Smith come through.

Danny Rose - 7/10
Impressive start especially when you consider how many Spurs fans doubted him. If his name was Daniele Rossi and has just signed from Italy people would be going crazy about him. Shame he got injured, very happy to have him back.

Zeki Fryers - 5/10
Perhaps thrown into the deep end to quickly due to injuries, he has looked good in patches but also dodgy. He has the chance to really impress in Europe agaisnt weak teams but never really took his chance. Hopefully we can bring in a decent LB in January and we can send him on loan to the Championship. Would like to swap him with Ekkoto.

Michael Dawson - 6/10
I have never rated Dawson, but I appreciate he gives his all for the club. He is playing at his maximum so I cannot slate him to much, but he should be a back up option and will always be a concern against the top 6.

Jan Vertonghen - 7/10
Needs to be playing Centre Back. A shame he got injured when Rose came back, look forward to him playing with Chirchiles. He is our best defender, and has shown that in a number of games.

Vlad Chiriches - 7/10
Has been the most consistent of our new signings. Still can be lazy with the ball and give it away, but overall a quality addition to the squad who will go on to be a top player for the club for years to come.

Youness Kaboul - 4/10
Just has not been able to stay fit. A real shame because a pre injury Kaboul alongside Vertonghen/Chirchiles would be a top quality pairing. I think we need to replace him so that we don't have to play Dawson every week. Contract up in the summer so he has a lot of prove, he looked great in every game he played up until City.

Sandro - 5/10
When he has been on the pitch he has been class, but that has not been happening. I really fear that his injurys could be a problem long term. If he can stay fit in the New Year, he is a big player for us because he can dominate the midfield.

Etienne Capoue - 6/10
For me the most over hyped Spurs player in a long time. But I am happy with him because he is playing to his maximum. Can win the ball with tackles and interceptions, and I would start him in every game if Sandro is not available, but he gives the ball away far to often, and offers nothing going forward.

Paulinho - 6/10
I was calling him the new Jenas from the moment I saw him, but over time you can see there is a top player there. Just needs to be more consistent, and I think he needs a DM next to him to let him get forward. I think like Chirches we will see the best of him next season.

Moussa Dembele - 6/10
Such a hit and miss player. He looks class at times, but never truly dominates the midfield the way he should. Perhaps we don't play him in his best position, and perhaps he has been playing injured. If he can find a run of form and stay there, he will be immense.

Christian Eriksen - 6/10
Another inconsistent one of the new signings, but I don't think that is due to adapting, he will just be that way forever. He can go missing, bottle challenges and take 15 corners and free kicks that don't beat the first man/wall. Then in the next game he can run the game, create 10 chances and every set piece is on point. I hope I am wrong about his inconsistency.

Lewis Holtby - 6/10
Gives everything, loves the club and there is clearly talent there. I think if Holtby has been playing for us in any Premier League Season pre Van Der Vaart he would be Spurs legend, but we have stepped up a level now. Games can pass him by and sometimes it just doesn't work for him, but he will always give his all. Great squad player but I would imagine thats not his ambition long term.

Gylfi Sigurdsson - 6/10
Clearly not as talented as Eriksen, Lamela & Holtby but he does deliver. It doesn't look like there is a position for him especially in a 442, but whenever he has played he has done well, scored goals and been involved, but I agree with the managers every time they drop him. Same as Holtby 5 years ago he would have been a star player for us. I think we should cash in while we still can and use that money to improve elsewhere.

Nabil Bentaleb - 6/10
We have only seen glimpses but what we have seen has been impressive. Has been the perfect sub every time Sherwood brings him on. Keeps the ball, plays the simple pass, gets up and down the pitch, positions himself well. Be interesting to see him over 90 minutes, and to see how he does over the 2nd half of the season.

Aaron Lennon - 7/10
He will always be out for 8-10 games a season, hopefully he has got that out of the way. Frightens defenses and always creates something, especially away from home where he has more space to play. Also always performs in the big matches, but could be more consistent. Hopefully another one that has a big few months and secures a world cup spot

Andros Townsend - 7/10
Townsend has his doubters, and I agree with allot of the criticisms of his style of play, but he was the only attacking thread we showed in the first 10 games. As a player he should only improve, and Sherwoods systems should suit him, especially if he plays on the left wing. He could be a big player from us over 90 minutes and off the bench in the final stretch.

Nacer Chadli - 3/10
A dutch woolwich supporting friend of mine was devastated when we signed him, said he would be class. Think he was winding me up now. Looks like he has won a prize to play for Spurs. A right footed left winger, have never seen him beat a man and put in a decent cross, gives the ball away allot. His only real use has been in the air from set pieces, might as well have played Peter Crouch left wing.

Erik Lamela - 4/10
I was so excited when we signed this guy, and you can see there is talent there, but he has only showed minor flashes. He needs a run in the team, and I wouldn't mind seeing him playing as part of a front two, but he doesn't deserve a 1st XI place based on the chances he has been given. One half decent game against a Moldovan team, thats it so far.

Roberto Soldado - 5/10
He works hard, he links up well with the team, he creates chances and gets into good positions....but he doesn't score Goals and thats what he is here for. In the beginning he was not getting opportunities, but in the last month he has been fluffing some great chances. Deadly from the penalty spot, but he needs to score goals from open play

Emmanuel Adebayor - 7/10
Has been quality since he came back, and on his day he is one of the best players in the Premier League. But there was only one person to blame for him being left out of the side, Emmanuel Adeybeyor. If he can put together a run like he is having for the reason of the season, I will be so happy. But I fear it is only a matter of time before he pulls the self destruct button.

Jermaine Defoe - 6/10
You cannot fault him for what he has done in Europe this season all be it against limited opponents. He is another one that is playing to his maximum which is just not good enough anymore. I do feel if he has played as many league minutes as Soldado this season he would have scored more goals from open play, but probably would have fluffed 3/4 of the Penalty's.

Harry Kane - 6/10
Every time he has played for us this season he has added something to the side. Was involved in the goal v Cardiff, played well and got the goal v Hull, and did very well on the weekend agaisnt United. Great to have him around the squad.

New signings

I would like to see us bring back Ekkoto as back up to Rose, and sign a centre back to replace Kaboul as he cannot seem to stay fit. Other than that I think we are fine, and should not sign or sell anybody unless we have a great deal on the table that will improve the squad.

The rest of the season

Premier League
Hopefully we can keep the away form going, and start scoring goals at the Lane. If that happens, and Everton & Liverpool start to see a dip in form, we can make the top 4. We will be extremely strong if we can limit our injury list to 2/3 players a week instead of 7/8, especially if that means having a fit Sandro & Vertonghen on the pitch in every league game. Add to that a Striker scoring goals, whether that is Adeybeyor keeping his run going, or Soldado coming good, with Paulinhio, Eriksen and Chirchires becoming more consistent as they continue to adapt, and Lennon or Townsend causing trouble on the wings, we are really in with a shout.

Europe League
Will be interesting to see what Sherwood does with this, I would play the squad players, those coming back from injuries and kids in rounds 32 & 16 as that should be enough to get us through. Ff we are in the hunt for the Champions League keep doing that, but if we are out of the race go all out to win a Trophy.

FA Cup
Same as with the League Cup, I would be allot more upset about losing to our rivals than going out of it. But would love it if we beat them Saturday, or at least get them back to the lane for a replay. A cup run and trip to Wembley would be ideal, but I would rather make top 4 or win the Europa League given the choice.

Agree entirely re: Walker, he has been by far and away our best and most consistent player this season. He very rarely gets beaten defensively and although his positioning leaves something to be desired, he more than makes up for it with his pace. Going forward he has looked fantastic when paired with either Azza or Andros.

He is really starting to come into his own and I will be shocked if he isn't England's first choice right back at the World Cup.

New signings only

Soldado - 6/10 - with a push, needs to up is game

Vlad - 7/10 - he looks better good forward than defending, but shows great potential

Chadli - 5/10 - no idea what to make of him so far - will wait till May

Paulinho - 8/10 - top of he fold

Eriksen - 8/10 - master class of a player - can only improve

Capoue - 6/10 - showed potential

Lamela - 5/10 - he needs game time. ASAP

My view on the players is pretty boring in that, overall, with all the chaos at WHL and the vast number of new signings, they've been professional and committed as a group, have kept working hard, and are all doing the shirt proud.

Been said before by others in this thread - points on the board doesn't look bad considering we have yet to really hit full form. I'll say two things now - Tim Sherwood is doing very well and the new signings will get better if given the game time. As an addendum, I'm glad that Sherwood is incorporating the youth because what little I've seen of Harry Kane has impressed me. Bentaleb...looks like he may be another Livermore, so we'll wait and see. But that we're thinking about bedding these players in is a positive sign. I suspect that Sherwood has had a think about what would impress Levy - and that'll be keeping costs down by introducing youth players to the first team early to reduce what you need to spend on players, as well as playing attractive, open football.

Nacer Chadli - 3/10
A dutch woolwich supporting friend of mine was devastated when we signed him, said he would be class. Think he was winding me up now. Looks like he has won a prize to play for Spurs. A right footed left winger, have never seen him beat a man and put in a decent cross, gives the ball away allot. His only real use has been in the air from set pieces, might as well have played Peter Crouch left wing.
This guy gets such a bad press, and I don't understand why. Bentaleb gets 6, as does Siggy, but Chadli 3? He's a tidy player, attacks and defends, offers an aerial threat and is more than capable with both feet. Has 5 assists, joint top in all competitions for the season with Holtby.

for me Walker has been our best player so far (that will jinx him for sure); Lloris has been a bit erratic since his knock on the head (will someone knock it again to put his brain back in its right place); love Lennon when he plays; miss Sandro big time; not a huge fan of Glyfi, find him average at best; Moussa is hard to knock off the ball but a bit inconsistent. Willing to give the new signings time to settle before rating them.

Very odd comparison. Bentaleb is hugely more comfortable on the ball, and don't forget he is a full 5 years younger!

All I'm saying is that JL also shone and was talked up after 5 games before it became apparent by his 20th appearance that he wasn't up to scratch. I have hopes for Bentaleb but he's seemed good in a few games and absent in others.

Why does this matter?

"Erik, pass... pass to me...."
(Lamela stops abruptly on the byline... gets his English phrase book out of his shorts, and mistakenly looks up the word 'piss'... meanwhile, opposing defender whips ball from his feet and sets up counter-attack!)

I think he means that!!

"Erik, pass... pass to me...."
(Lamela stops abruptly on the byline... gets his English phrase book out of his shorts, and mistakenly looks up the word 'piss'... meanwhile, opposing defender whips ball from his feet and sets up counter-attack!)

I think he means that!!
Aye, thought so. :gallashmm:

Seriously though, I don't see how it effects them.

This guy gets such a bad press, and I don't understand why. Bentaleb gets 6, as does Siggy, but Chadli 3? He's a tidy player, attacks and defends, offers an aerial threat and is more than capable with both feet. Has 5 assists, joint top in all competitions for the season with Holtby.

stats stats stats I would love to see stats on how many times he has given the ball away and taken somebody on.

Right, but despite his CCC stats and assists he has provided nothing for the club...

Honestly, I think his contribution can more or less be summed up by his assist against Sunderland.. nothing particularly skillful about it, nor was there any flair involved-- He doesn't have Gylfi's shot, Aaron's speed, Townsend's balls or Lamela's "trickery".. but he does get the job done as often (according to statistics, which we apparently hate, more often) as anyone else.

Can we ask for much more than that? Let him be.

stats stats stats I would love to see stats on how many times he has given the ball away and taken somebody on.

Do any of our players who can take someone on ever produce a half-decent final product? We need Lennon v. Evra more often..

Last edited:
Right, but despite his CCC stats and assists he has provided nothing for the club...

Honestly, I think his contribution can more or less be summed up by his assist against Sunderland.. nothing particularly skillful about it, nor was there any flair involved-- He doesn't have Gylfi's shot, Aaron's speed, Townsend's balls or Lamela's "trickery".. but he does get the job done as often (according to statistics, which we apparently hate, more often) as anyone else.
Exactly as I said, he gets a bad press. Even when he gets an assist, you find fault with it. Not skilful enough? What a load of bollocks that is. I'm not saying he is Bale, but he has offered more than Lamela so far, and cost less than a quarter of his fee, yet Lamela is constantly put on a pedestal and given chance after chance.

I guarantee if roles were reversed, Chadli would still be lauded as a piece of shit and Lamela would be showing glimpses of his talent and would come good eventually.

Exactly as I said, he gets a bad press. Even when he gets an assist, you find fault with it. Not skilful enough? What a load of bollocks that is. I'm not saying he is Bale, but he has offered more than Lamela so far, and cost less than a quarter of his fee, yet Lamela is constantly put on a pedestal and given chance after chance.

I guarantee if roles were reversed, Chadli would still be lauded as a piece of shit and Lamela would be showing glimpses of his talent and would come good eventually.

I think you misinterpreted what I was trying to say.. I'm just as big a supporter of Chadli and the work he does as you, believe me... just simply saying that I think the reason people don't like him is because he's one of those guys who isn't great at any one thing, but fairly decent at, as you said, putting in a hard shift on the left. He's a more than useful player when brought into the side.

Back
Top Bottom