Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Alright you pair off jokers, you know what I mean, half their best players could go and the manager poached rather than sacked. If we are gonna screw up it's going to be on Levy's terms.

Hi Sotonian - what do you tink we could expect from Pochettino if he joined? How well do you think he would do with us?
I think he would do an incredible job at Spurs - But there will be casualties
He will lay out his ideas and ethos out and the players will need to buy into them and not all of them will.
The unanswered question withy regard to Poch is how he manages the "Bigger" players. At Espanyol and Saints he hasn't really had any superstars, to have to mould or develop (It is easier to dictate how you want things done to young or ego free players). For those that do buy into him or as a minimum simply tow the line, he will get the very best out of them and I think that is his biggest skill. He will also improve and develop the younger players, which seems to be his mantra.

Player for player you have a better squad than us - If he can knit them together and playing to their potential in the way he done for us, then you'll be very successful.
There is a conflict between expectation and developing the younger players, so without knowing what Levy wants in that department it's hard to comment how that will play out, but don't be surprised to suddenly see unknown players from your academy on the bench or even in the team. I am probably just a soppy old sod, but there is something very gratifying about watching homegrown talent and Poch will give them a chance.

As I said before, I could live with losing all our star players if we got to keep him and hope we do everything we can to keep him.
Oh and For the purists amongst you - you will play the best football you have for years.

But that's all irrelevant - There's only one Frank De Boer :) :) :) : )

Aside from all the obvious fors and againsts listed already, I think if we get Pocc, there'll always be an element of 'what if' regarding Frank De Boer. Frank's unlikely to go to another Prem side at the moment, but Pocc could well stay with Southampton.

Thanks Sotonian , fantastic to hear.

For what its worth we have spent a huge amount on the facilities and the ascademy in general, Levy absolutely wants us producing players for the first team. I think this will be a feature of whoever comes into the club.

Heard an interesting theory on the Oh When The Spurs podcast about the fact that Pocchetino is Argentinian being a possible factor in him being the preferred candidate, in that he may be able to get the best out of Lamela.

Would certainly tie in with the way Levy thinks, getting someone who will be able to get the most out of the £30 million odd we've already invested (and potentially ensuring that his sell-on value is as high as possible).

Whatever manager we pick can we get him before the world cup please, preferably within the next few weeks, so that we can finalise deals before world cup like how chelsea / man united / man city are doing.

One thing hate about our board is that we never look like we have a plan short term or long term. I refuse to believe we only started looking for managers this past week if we did that's just poor management.

I mean even united who really weren't certain they were gonna fire Moyes got a head start (already have a manager who already has giving united a list of targets) over us a team that knew that we were gonna sack Sherwood from the moment he was hired.

the fact that Pocchetino is Argentinian being a possible factor in him being the preferred candidate, in that he may be able to get the best out of Lamela.

I never understand these statements (completely). I never imagined it'd be just like FIFA ultimate team.

At some point I might be able to understand the thought behind it but MPo has never managed Lamela ,right? Just by the fact they are from the same country won't heal Lamela's injury and let him play Bale esque even if the talent is there.

Don't take this personal, I think I've said some things like this myself but it made me wonder why.

I never understand these statements (completely). I never imagined it'd be just like FIFA ultimate team.

At some point I might be able to understand the thought behind it but MPo has never managed Lamela ,right? Just by the fact they are from the same country won't heal Lamela's injury and let him play Bale esque even if the talent is there.

Don't take this personal, I think I've said some things like this myself but it made me wonder why.

They will be able to talk about fine steaks and the falkland islands together.

This will naturally improve his goal scoring ability.

I don't think it's anything to do with healing his injury mate, if he's not settling well the thinking may be that having an Argentinian manager may help him feel more at home at the club and help get the best out of him.

We all know that if Levy has shelled out £30 million for a player who is currently being billed as a bit of a flop by the media then he will definitely want to bring in someone that he thinks can bring out the best in that player.

Obviously they wouldn't hire someone just on that basis, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a factor that had been taken into consideration.

As for Pochettino's perspective on the Europa league, I 100% agree with him but my stance has changed a little because next season the winners get a champions league spot.

"It hasn't changed. In my opinion the Europa League is not an attractive competition,"

"The ambition of course is to one day play the Champions League and that I would be interested in. "That is my opinion, not the club's opinion. "I think it is a competition that kills you in the sense that there are a lot of mid-table teams that put a lot of effort into the Europa League and then are not able to do anything in the league, they are not able to compensate for that bad run of form in the league so it brings them down."

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/southampton/pochettino---europa-league-not-attractive-1707339.html

I dont think he is saying he would throw it, just that he has no love for it.

Its pretty much the same point half the board have been making in the recent thread.

Id still expect him to go into it and do his best.

Am I missing something here? Pochettino has had one reasonably good season and all of a sudden he's our next 'saviour' and the greatest thing since the dawn of greatest things!
How exactly will he transform our stuttering, but potentially title winning, team and excell in the transfer market when he, imo, hasn't the required experience?
You've only got to look at Moyes this season. A rated manager, but one clearly out of his depth. Tim, in time, will become a very good manager but when it was needed towards the end of the season, his inexperience showed.
Surely what we need is a proven, experienced manager who's been there and done it and can bring that experience to The Lane and build the team we all yearn for. Stylish, a joy to watch and, above all, winners.
Maybe I have missed something but I'm not certain Pochettino will tick all of the boxes.

Pretty sure the same accusations were levelled at Rodgers when we were considering him "one good season" etc and that turned out alright for Liverpool. Hiring a new manager is always a risk there are no guarantees whoever we choose.

MP has also had good seasons in Spain before Southampton btw, attracting praise from pep guardiola for his work at Espanyol. So i don't think we can call him a one season wonder. The biggest question is if he can manage a bigger side than southampton or espanyol with bigger expectations and resources that we have.

Can't but feel a bit (not anxious) about the favourite Mo Po.
All the things we read and saw with Soton says yeah he should be a good fit for Tottenham. And then we read thoughts and comments of our site saying "he is untested", "only had one good yr in EPL", "we should be going for FDB or Rafa as they are proven winners".
I agree with all that and have personally flipped favouritism between either MP, FDB & RB.
I should relax any of those three would be an improvement for THFC.
The doubt stems from wanting to wipe away the unfilled hope of last two to fifty years.
Chill, lets get excited by any of three favourites.

Back
Top Bottom