Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How many of those chances were clean cut "Should have scored that"?

Two.

Dele header.
Kane hitting the bar.

Other than that none come to mind. You can't expect to win a game just because you created two chances. Teams can create, 4, 6, 8, whatever and not win. Two is weak.
26 shots, 16 on target, more of those clear cut than you remember, and you claim we only had two chances? Alright mate, good night. Next time we have double digit shots on target I'll remind myself that they dont count as chances unless jayc says so.

Kane's header from the corner and the shot that hit the crossbar were probably the only two chances I can think of that we could have scored from clearly.

I wouldn't count Alli's header, looked to me like he was trying to head it to Kane for some strange reason. Son's was a dodgy angle, Aurier's was never a clean effort and all the rest were tame.

Son's first half effort was a similar spot to the Dortmund goal, Kane's header was a great save from Fabianski, Son's chance in the second half, Kane hitting the crossbar moments later, Dele's header (don't know how you think he is trying to head that you can see he is looking to recreate the Chelsea sort of header from last season), if Aurier's chance falls to one of the attacking players thats probably a goal and then you've got other half chances that came close such as Kane's free kick and his long range effort. We had more than enough opportunities to score. Don't get me wrong we can definitely play better than that but from what we created I would be expecting to convert a few. Just one of those days IMO.

I know people hate talking about the 'Wembley curse' and all that shite, it is pumped up by the media but teams are definitely being smart about it. That early goal against Dortmund was so key as it eased the nerves, I think a few of our players are less comfortable not so much because of the stadium but rather the aura that surrounds it. Swansea set up to stop us from scoring early on, and knew the longer the game went on the more it would swing in our favour as our players would start to think 'one of those days'. Saw the camera pan to Kane at some point and you can tell that he was thinking that, even with about 25 minutes to go I was not really expecting us to score. Really important we get some momentum going at Wembley ASAP, that Chelsea game really fucked with us and fuck the FA for putting that as our first Wembley game. We have a few away games now after Barnsley, but it is really important we get our shit together in this time as I fear if we don't win our next home game it is going to continue to snowball.

Our next fixtures are

Barnsley (H)
West Ham (A)
APOEL (A)
Huddersfield (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Real Madrid (A)
Liverpool (H)
Man United (A)
Real Madrid (H)
Palace (H)
Woolwich (A)
Dortmund (A)

We really need to make sure our away form is unaffected and that we pick up that win over Bournemouth otherwise we are heading into the toughest period of the season fixture wise in shit momentum with the Wembley cloud still hanging over our heads.

Son's first half effort was a similar spot to the Dortmund goal

You're not going to score many by taking the near-post shot over and over. The Dortmund keeper was shit and perhaps not use to it, that's literally the only reason it went in. I'm not going to count those near post shots as "clear chances", maybe 10/100 go in at best. Aurier's chance was also near post, even if Kane had got to it, without a pull back or cross that's never ending in a goal.

The Kane header, while good, wasn't a difficult save. Freekick from 40 yards was too far away to be a threat. Dele header may be saved even if he gets it perfect.

I dunno, how many would you expect us to score from those chances? I think Kane should have scored the pull back where he hit the bar, but other than that they were all a bit ehh. I don't think today was a massive injustice where Swansea robbed us - they defended well and we attacked poor.

I didn't have a big issue with Poch playing 3 centrebacks as it seemed clear he asked Toby and Jan to bomb forward when they could, and they did.

The problem was the wingbacks, who are critical in providing our only width and supplying the crosses. In past seasons, when we had injuries, we've also struggled when we haven't had this width and ability to whip them in from the flanks and stretch the play, as teams can just clog up the middle like what Swansea did.

If Davies was unfit, I thought it may have been a good idea to give Foyth some minutes and move Jan to the left.

tbonepremier Interested to know what it is you disagree with?

tbonepremier Interested to know what it is you disagree with?

I see it as one of many hindsight posts after yesterday's game, suggesting that Poch got reasonable decisions wrong just because it turned out it didn't lead to a win.

You want Jan played out of position, to play a kid who we have little reason to believe is ready for a start in the PL, just because we didn't win with the team he put out. You suggest that Jan should play left back, because we need our defenders to provide offensive width, even though Jan is a CB and Son is a winger. Son is a better wide offensive option than Jan. The only times Jan would've been a better option than Son as our LWB was the about two times during the game where Son had to drop into a back five to defend while Swansea had the ball in our half.

In short, you suggest a worse first eleven just because we in hindsight can say that the first 11 Poch sent out didn't get the win.

I see it as one of many hindsight posts after yesterday's game, suggesting that Poch got reasonable decisions wrong just because it turned out it didn't lead to a win.

You want Jan played out of position, to play a kid who we have little reason to believe is ready for a start in the PL, just because we didn't win with the team he put out. You suggest that Jan should play left back, because we need our defenders to provide offensive width, even though Jan is a CB and Son is a winger. Son is a better wide offensive option than Jan. The only times Jan would've been a better option than Son as our LWB was the about two times during the game where Son had to drop into a back five to defend while Swansea had the ball in our half.

In short, you suggest a worse first eleven just because we in hindsight can say that the first 11 Poch sent out didn't get the win.

You make a few assumptions there, and perhaps I should have been clearer. I'm not advocating for Poch to start Foyth with Jan on the left, but I thought that would have been a better substitute option than sticking Trippier on the left and Sissoko the right. I stand by my point, nonetheless, that we need width to balance our play and beat these sides that park the bus.

Poch made bad mistakes today
trying Tripper on left was a mistake, but the Bad mistake and a big problem was not doing anything after 15mins (60min mark of match) he should have seen it was not working and changed it, (gone back to first half layout or got sub on to play left side)
did he not seen it ? if he saw it why no change, if he didn't see it why didn't he or the coaches see it ?

It's simple, try to win every game. Put a team out to give yourself a chance to win every game. Our second string should be able to win the early rounds then bring in the first teamers if we need to...... exactly like last year. Don't say we don't care because we do. Why bother playing the game at all.

So frustrating there was no need to say that at all!!

Hmmm, first time I can remember hearing Poch say something that's made me feel a bit uneasy.
The further we end up going in this or the FA cup I can see him changing his tune. A trophy is a trophy and we want to build a winning mentality.

Poch is obviously a very goal driven manager and he's set either the PL or CL title as his end goal. And rightly so, all clubs in our position should be aiming to win every competition they are in. If we end up racking up a few cups as well he is not going to say no.

Considering we have won fuck all in about a decade or so, saying the league cup is 'beneath us' was very embarrassing from him.
When Poch came in, in his first interview he said he wants Tottenham to challenge for a Title. Us!! A team that has never challenged for a Premier League Title, ever! He's had us challenge for a title 2 of his three seasons. Whilst building a team that has been capable of doing this, the team has got to a Final and a Semi-Final of each of the two domestic cups in the past 3yrs. This is a by-product of building the best team we have seen in a generation.

I'm not embarrassed by his comments because we are a bonafide great team, a bonafide top of the league team, we've earned this status, it cannot be in dispute. A cup run requires a high degree of luck, depends on who you draw, when you draw them and whether it's home or away, whether there is penalty, whether there is a sending off. This is why scub teams like Wigan, Hull and Palace can get to a final, if they came out and said this then yeah that would be embarrassing because they are shit, but they also rotate for the carabao cup, they just don't have a Manager with the balls to say it.

Final comment, if this was an important game, a game that all Spurs took seriously then with tickets for sale at £10!!! the stadium will be sold out. The fact is Spurs fans couldn't give a fuck about this cup, it looks like there will be no more than 20,000 fans turn up tonight, that says it all.

Don Giovanni Don Giovanni sorry fella, not aiming this post at you, it's a generic semi-rant backing the philosophy Poch that has got us within touching distance of greatness.

Last edited:
Disingenuous media bollocks...

Some of our fans misquoting doesn't help either....

"EPL is our priority" does not equate to "this comp is beneath us" nor has he said we "dont care".

Disingenuous media bollocks...

Some of our fans misquoting doesn't help either....

"EPL is our priority" does not equate to "this comp is beneath us" nor has he said we "dont care".
This.

In the very same interview he says "our goal is to go out and win every game. Because that is what it means to be Tottenham. To win every game and every competition" (paraphrased).

Poch just sees the PL title or the CL title as the easiest way to cement us as a top top club. But he's not going to say not to winning the league cup or FA cup if the chance presents itself

Back
Top Bottom