Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the key -from our position as fans - to make somebody stay or at least make it harder to leave is to show them support. sing more to them during matches and after matches. make them feel loved (I think we ar edoing a great job so far).

winning titles also helps, of course. And paying fair wages is important too.
those two depende more on levy and Poch/players). We don't get to kick the ball inside the field or sign checks. Media wants ratings and nothing would be better than saying "Poch is the new Real United FC (or whatever) coach".

Poch doesn't tweet, doesn't sell as much as others so they need to make headlines.
I truly think he's not leaving anytime soon but all that "They better win a trophy NOW" is media shite. It's them creating pressure where there is none.

I'm with poch and this team no matter how this season finishes. period.

Thing is we could win the double this year and you just know what the media would say then, they'd say that Poch has taken us as far as he can and that it would be impossible to win the CL with Spurs so he shouldn't try and it's obvious he'll now move to a "bigger" club to do so. No matter what we do they will try and move out manager on as well as our best players.

Thing is we could win the double this year and you just know what the media would say then, they'd say that Poch has taken us as far as he can and that it would be impossible to win the CL with Spurs so he shouldn't try and it's obvious he'll now move to a "bigger" club to do so. No matter what we do they will try and move out manager on as well as our best players.

Yes, no matter what they do they will always try to take our manager and best player away from us. Reason to cheer and sing louder: let's make them (poch and player) how we feel.

It's interesting how he has gone from playing his cards very close to his chest to now offering out a few media sound bites. He's mentioned the fact that everyone shat on us in favour of Leicester several times already. Clearly that pissed him off a lot. Now he's making indirects at clubs like Chelsea and city and playing a few mind games. I wonder if this is down to him feeling the pressure and excitement a little bit, or if it's something he's deliberately adding to his managerial abilities. Let's face if most of the best and successful PL managers have been masters of the mind games. And he is a massive fan of ferguson - possibly the greatest proponent of this of them all.

It's interesting how he has gone from playing his cards very close to his chest to now offering out a few media sound bites. He's mentioned the fact that everyone shat on us in favour of Leicester several times already. Clearly that pissed him off a lot. Now he's making indirects at clubs like Chelsea and city and playing a few mind games. I wonder if this is down to him feeling the pressure and excitement a little bit, or if it's something he's deliberately adding to his managerial abilities. Let's face if most of the best and successful PL managers have been masters of the mind games. And he is a massive fan of ferguson - possibly the greatest proponent of this of them all.

Perhaps Pochettino has had his year 3 'mind games' English lessons and he's testing that out? :pochlol:

We've got nothing to lose the pressure isn't on us as no one, other than ourselves expect us to challenge for anything. I think this title chase is far more in our favour than it was last season. The team have the benefit of last season's failure to use as motivation.

It may also be that he's a little more confident about what he's saying in English. More confident that he's saying exactly what he means and it's not going to get misconstrued.

good analysis and agree with what was said. Carraghers point about this team needing to win something really resonates. I don't want us to be like Keegan's newcastle, acknowleded to be a great exciting team but one that never got over the line.
IMO People just need to chillout on the "MUST WIN A TROPHIES". Apparently we are the ONLY team this applies to, have you heard this expectation assigned to Manure, Citeh, Woolwich & Dippers? I'd go so far as to say with the money and resources available to all of those teams it is them that are expected to be winning trophies. Media would appear to have done a great job, if people start banging out this narrative as now an expectation, ensuring Spurs are set up to be failures and bottlers, whist the monied teams get off scott free with zero expectation, zero pressure, enjoying a "transitional" season despite dropping half a BILLION pounds on their squads.

Nah, not buying it.

IMO People just need to chillout on the "MUST WIN A TROPHIES". Apparently we are the ONLY team this applies to, have you heard this expectation assigned to Manure, Citeh, Woolwich & Dippers? I'd go so far as to say with the money and resources available to all of those teams it is them that are expected to be winning trophies. Media would appear to have done a great job, if people start banging out this narrative as now an expectation, ensuring Spurs are set up to be failures and bottlers, whist the monied teams get off scott free with zero expectation, zero pressure, enjoying a "transitional" season despite dropping half a BILLION pounds on their squads.

Nah, not buying it.
yeh acknowledge the brush we're painted with - but in this case I don't think its about being failures or bottlers, its more about the group of players achieving something and deserving too for the work and performances they are putting in. Not about Tottenham needing to win something to still be considered a 'big club'.
The other clubs you've mentioned, unfortunately have won things recently.
This is the best team Tottenham team I've ever witnessed, and I'd be gutted for them if they didn't get a reward.

It's funny that Poch and all our players suddenly need a trophy or they will leave.
Our target this season was top 4, and fuck all in the media thought that Poch or any of our players were good enough to make it.
You know, wasn't this the season that Liverpool, Chelsea, Woolwich, Utd and City would vastly improve and never let another Leicester happen?

Wasn't we the same old Spurs who had just bottled their one and only chance to win the league?

5th at best we could hope for.....but now we MUST win a trophy to keep staff.

Yup if this team doesn't win something it would be a complete mystery as to why. I am worried that next season might set as back a bit not having the stadium ready. We need to win the FA cup at the very least I reckon. It just has to happen, and my god will that help us step it up even further in to a champions like, winning mentality.

Yup if this team doesn't win something it would be a complete mystery as to why. I am worried that next season might set as back a bit not having the stadium ready. We need to win the FA cup at the very least I reckon. It just has to happen, and my god will that help us step it up even further in to a champions like, winning mentality.
It's a nonsense theory unless you claimed the same before the season started.
As said, our target this year was top 4....how can it set us back by achieving our goal.
We have excelled, yet people try to project a negative spin and keep raising the bar.

In November was a trophy a must? No, 4th was even doubted.

Tired of this mantra that whatever Spurs do is not enough. You have teams like Liverpool and Utd with 500m debts punching 5 places below their weight.....City with their billions behind us and Woolwich fighting for 6th, but Spurs are supposedly under pressure to achieve or implode??

We are building, the rest are buying.

The pressure is certainly not on this club this season.

I agree that the goalposts have shifted in terms of expectations and i agree that a lack of silverware should not be the determining factor at this stage.

However i do think that personally as a long suffering supporter, the club owes me (and all of us) a trophy! And if this isnt the squad to do it then who is?

Football seasons come and go, as do players and coaching staff. Legacy is created by silverware. In ten years time people wont remember that season that we had the best GD in Europe (or whatever).

That's why we need a trophy. To create the legacy for this team that they deserve.

Last edited:
The trophy pressure was the only thing Carragher could say to potentially do us harm without looking like a complete twat who is hateful of Spurs, which is what he is. He is hoping that we fail to get a trophy and that it leads to us losing manager or players so that he doesn't have to endure another six or seven years of us being better than his team. That's all this is. Bollocks must we win a trophy this year. However I hope this backfires on him with us winning one, maybe even two trophies and then there will be nothing left for him to say at all.

yeh acknowledge the brush we're painted with - but in this case I don't think its about being failures or bottlers, its more about the group of players achieving something and deserving too for the work and performances they are putting in. Not about Tottenham needing to win something to still be considered a 'big club'.
The other clubs you've mentioned, unfortunately have won things recently.
This is the best team Tottenham team I've ever witnessed, and I'd be gutted for them if they didn't get a reward.
I get it, but the thing is we are painted as bottlers wether you like it or not and if you follow the language used by our own fans (not you mate) they regurgitate this too. They get this because of the expectations set by the media, just as being done now. We are a "big club" just nowhere near those above us in the financial tables. Palace is closer to us financially than we are to Liverpool (the next team above us in the money league), don't hear anyone saying Palace should be winning cup's.

We are a great team which I love watching, I'm not expecting to win a cup but I believe we can.

BTW Liverpool have won as much as us, 1 league Cup, in the last 10 years! Yet in this time they have earned over ยฃ1b in revenue more than us but it's OK because the dippers are in transition. In fact if you listen to the pundits (Carragher in particular, who I like) puts Liverpool in with Tottenham on sum equal financial footing!! Some can take that as a compliment, but for me it's crystal clear that it's a manipulation of a narrative created to take the pressure off of Liverpool and what better way to magnify that pressure than to create an environment where Tottenham are now EXPECTED to win a trophy and if they don't they are labelled bottlers and chokers. Every single "big club" has yet again fallen by the wayside, failed massively, what better thing to do than to deflect this failure than to take aim at the one club that has stolen their rightful place on the top table and made them look utterly ridiculous.

Just saying we need to be careful of what the language being used around our club right now.

I agree that the goalposts have shifted in terms of expectations and i agree that a lack of silverware should not be the determining factor at this stage.

However i do think that personally as a long suffering supporter, the club owes me (and all of us) a trophy! And if this isnt the squad to do it then who is?

Football seasons come and go, as do players and coaching staff. Legacy is created by silverware. In ten years time people wont remember that season that we had the best GD in Europe (or whatever).

That's why we need a trophy. To create the legacy for this team that they deserve.
And if not should we fire the manager for failure?

And if they don't?
I'll cry probably haha. But seriously, it just has to happen don't you think? The more senior players who have stuck around really need a trophy wouldn't you say? We haven't won anything really meaningful for a quarter of a century, and this is the real deal now, it's not like we're blindly optimistic now is it?

Back
Top Bottom