Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It also might be a case of the players thinking "We have listened to you for 5 years boss, done everything you have asked and we still haven't won a trophy" and the reality is, most of these big games, like the CL final, were lost based on tactical decisions imo.

Not playing Moura in the final after the form he was showing and how he singlehandedly dragged us to the final was just such poor man management as well, he didn't even let Lucas know he wasn't playing, he only found out on the day.

I just can't imagine that does any good for squad harmony because it just tells the players no matter how good you play, I will always pick my favourites, I think he has tried to remedy that so far this season by leaving out Verts and Eriksen and it's backfired on him because the players know it's all for show and currently we need them more than they need us.

Saw it on Twitter but Poch is currently dealing with a complacent old guard of players, much like when he first arrived, difference being these are now HIS players. No more Kabouls, Adebayors who were just here and happy to collect a pay cheque without putting in the graft.

Reliable Itk on SC that he has lost the dressing room. The team are certainly backing that up with recent displays. If we get a tonking at Woolwich , we’ll who knows. Hope not but it’s been on the cards for a long time. Champ Lge results kept us going last season.

Not to be that guy but giving Levy the lion's share of the blame in this seems a bit of a strawman argument/easy way out. Yes we have not spent as much as some would have wanted. But a key part of a managers job is working with what he has and making his players better. I don't want to think of Poch as a checkbook manager but he doesn't seem to realize that rather than trying to force square pegs in to round holes to fit the 2017 squad's likeness he needs to look at what he has at his disposal in 2019 and developing a style of play and identity based off of that.

We might not have a title winning squad right now but it is still a strong enough one where we should be competing at the top of the table.

Play to your strengths and try and shield your weaknesses as much as possible.

could we have invested more in our squad? Yes. Could Poch be doing a better job with what he has? Also yes. The blame should be pretty evenly distributed on both the manager and the backroom as well as on the players (someone should have taken fucking responsibility out on the field yesterday and fucking tried breaking the patterns).

I agree, the blame currently is even on both the manager and chairman, we shouldn't be losing to Newcastle at home with the squad we have, we shouldn't be in such bad form since February with the squad we have.

Levy is to blame for many things in regards to the running of the football side of the club but the form we are in currently cannot be blamed on him imo.

Although not buying a RB was fucking criminal, I want to know who thought that was ok.

It also might be a case of the players thinking "We have listened to you for 5 years boss, done everything you have asked and we still haven't won a trophy" and the reality is, most of these big games, like the CL final, were lost based on tactical decisions imo.
I definitely think this is a key factor. Poch's big strength has always been getting players to run through brick walls for him. It worked when he arrived since he got the youngsters on side and could exile the veterans like Kaboul, Adebayor etc. But now those youngsters have "grown up" and become key players for club and country. There's not just one strong voice in the locker room now but many.

I definitely think this is a key factor. Poch's big strength has always been getting players to run through brick walls for him. It worked when he arrived since he got the youngsters on side and could exile the veterans like Kaboul, Adebayor etc. But now those youngsters have "grown up" and become key players for club and country. There's not just one strong voice in the locker room now but many.

I think it's ultimately this.

The players have now become the Kabouls, the Adebayors of the dressing room - not that they are on the same level of character and professionalism but I think complacency and not having the desire they once had is probably similar to that Poch faced when he took over.

Down to him to be a bit ruthless now though.

Agreed, tactics have never been a strength of Poch but what he lacked in that respect was made up for by the amount players who were willing to break their backs for him and individual skill of those players combined with the great team dynamic, if all that crumbles then we just aren't going to be the same.

I think it's ultimately this.

The players have now become the Kabouls, the Adebayors of the dressing room - not that they are on the same level of character and professionalism but I think complacency and not having the desire they once had is probably similar to that Poch faced when he took over.

Down to him to be a bit ruthless now though.

The problem is, he can't be ruthless because our backup options are nowhere near good enough to replace our first team players and he has made a rod for his own back by being overly nice all these years, they know it's a front from him.

Ferguson would have publicslly destroyed these players careers for not respecting the club and more importantly, respecting him, they would be with the youth team and he would let the press know they are behaving unprofessionally.

We need the Eriksens and Vertonghens more than they need us right now, that's a fact, if we lose them we lose CL football which is something we can't afford to do.

Starts to the season under Poch:

14/15 - 6 points from opening 3 games (Then went on to win 1 game in our next 6 games)
15/16 - 2 points from opening 3 games (Went on to have one of our most exciting season)
16/17 - 5 points from opening 3 games (Went on to have our best season under Poch)
17/18 - 4 points from opening 3 games
18/19 - 9 points from opening 3 games (Went on to lose 13 games in the league)

19/20 - 4 points from opening 3 games.

Might not be that easy atm. Before there's clarity over futures of Eriksen, Rose, Toby and Jan there might be some disrupt of harmony in the group. And I really do miss Jan, cos he might be our only true leader on the field.

I don't for a second think it's "easy".... Point is, who else should we look to in challenging times (particularly when it comes to locker room issues)?

Personally, I think the idea that we lost yesterday due to trf window being open still is a touch too convenient. Come 3rd of September, if all mentioned are all still here, then we'll still need to be re-united , re-invigorated and to have developed a plan to overcome parked buses.

Last year presented it's own challenges in terms of fitness etc, but if we have come out the other side a one-man team(*) (when previously our strength was that we were in fact greater than the sum of our parts.) then where has Poch's much vaunted system, philosophy and man management gone?

(*Ref: Eriksen)

The problem is, he can't be ruthless because our backup options are nowhere near good enough to replace our first team players and he has made a rod for his own back by being overly nice all these years, they know it's a front from him.

Ferguson would have publicslly destroyed these players careers for not respecting the club and more importantly, respecting him, they would be with the youth team and he would let the press know they are behaving unprofessionally.

We need the Eriksens and Vertonghens more than they need us right now, that's a fact, if we lose them we lose CL football which is something we can't afford to do.

I don't think we lose CL football if we get rid of Eriksen and Vertonghen at all - that's silly.

We need a settled team of players who WANT to be here. Simple as that. Leicester won the fucking league with Drinkwater in central midfield but a team full of bang average players wanting to fight for their manager.

I'm not having that our squad isn't good enough to finish in the top 4. Bollocks.

Our back up options are fine. it isn't a question of whether they're good enough to replace those in our strongest eleven, the question is whether they have the desire and determination to want to stay there and run through a brick wall for the team.

If we perform the same as we did yesterday but scraped 3 points - these kneejerk threads and conversations wouldn't be happening. We win yesterdays game 9 times out of 10 - it was sadly one of those things that hopefully Poch learns fro.

Reliable Itk on SC

Oxymoron alert!!!

Saw it on Twitter but Poch is currently dealing with a complacent old guard of players, much like when he first arrived, difference being these are now HIS players. No more Kabouls, Adebayors who were just here and happy to collect a pay cheque without putting in the graft.

Validating and further circulating such wankery won't help our current situation.

Before we know it these things end up being claimed as commonly know fact.

Last edited:
How far little ol' Tottenham have come ey?

3 games in and we're melting because we've thrown away a title challenge and top 4 with 35 games to go.

I don't think we lose CL football if we get rid of Eriksen and Vertonghen at all - that's silly.

We need a settled team of players who WANT to be here. Simple as that. Leicester won the fucking league with Drinkwater in central midfield but a team full of bang average players wanting to fight for their manager.

I'm not having that our squad isn't good enough to finish in the top 4. Bollocks.

Our back up options are fine. it isn't a question of whether they're good enough to replace those in our strongest eleven, the question is whether they have the desire and determination to want to stay there and run through a brick wall for the team.

If we perform the same as we did yesterday but scraped 3 points - these kneejerk threads and conversations wouldn't be happening. We win yesterdays game 9 times out of 10 - it was sadly one of those things that hopefully Poch learns fro.
True but on current form we are not good enough it remains to be seen if it changes but I fear poch is on the road to P45 highway sadly.

True but on current form we are not good enough it remains to be seen if it changes but I fear poch is on the road to P45 highway sadly.

You really think at the first potential bump in the road, Poch get's sacked?

.....What happened to the "Poch is Levy's dream manager" narrative?

We are 3 games in.

A week ago, we were unbeaten, beat Villa 3-1 and got a draw away at the best team in the country. Ndombele is the best footballer in the world and we're going to challenge. Suddenly, we lose one game when missing 5 first team players from the starting eleven and we're shit, destined for relegation, Poch should leave.

We beat Woolwich next week and I am sure certain posters forget their passwords and the forum will be a lot quieter.

How far little ol' Tottenham have come ey?

3 games in and we're melting because we've thrown away a title challenge and top 4 with 35 games to go.

I just want him to get the style of play back. It's been horrible all year and I don't understand since in winter 2018 we started to put together some good performances again but rather than kick on it fell to shit. Late goals are great but I'm fed up of games where nothing is happening for us. We hardly score in the first half anymore. That's a far cry from the last season of WHL where we were 2-0, 3-0 and even 4-0 up at half time regularly.

Whilst I agree with the majority of your post, I don't think you can lose two of your best players and expect the same level of consistency without replacements that match their level of productivity.

Leicester losing Kante and Mahrez for example.

Back
Top Bottom