Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's not about positivity or negativity. It's about being realistic. Poch has ambitions to manage elsewhere and I have no problem with that. I don't, however, like the timing of these quotes. He has made some very loose comments already this season.

I keep seeing this "looking for negatives" bollocks and I am sorry, I am as positive as they come about Spurs but that doesn't mean that positivity leaks into ignorance of reality.

I could say I think you are looking for positives, which I truly think you are because the quotes are right there to be seen, please tell me how they should be interpreted? Read the quote and then tell me what he meant by it?

Yes, his quotes do show that he will honour his contract because he made a promise to Levy, his quotes also show that he wanted to move to Madrid and the reason he didn't was because he made that promise to Levy and Levy wouldn't accept offers to talk about it, therefore Poch didn't want to kick up a stink because that's not how he operates, can you disprove what I am saying?

I agree with you that Poch is a good person and I also agree with you that he instills that philosophy into our players.

But I also think that Levy is not backing his man and that's why Poch is making it Crystal clear about what we need at this football club to improve.

Ok maybe looking for negatives was a bit clichè but I really can't see what you're seeing sorry.

Madrid asked, he wouldn't break his contract, Levy wouldn't let him go, so he's still here!

I don't see anything about him wanting to go to Madrid.

I don't see anything about Levy not backing him. I've never seen or heard Poch or Levy say anything that tells me they are not on the same page. The only people who think that are on here, other social media or the media in general.

You can be quite sure that Poch and Levy had conversations before the contract was signed - Levy saying We want you to stay and heare's another contract. Poch doesn't need to sign - he's still got an existing contract.

So Poch might think of other clubs, but decides to sign the contract with Spurs. Whilst I am sure there was more money in the contract, I'd suggest he signed it because he was quite happy at Spurs.

Why do you think he signed a new contract wth Spurs ?

Because Levy likely made assurances to him that we will continue to improve and told him that he also wants to win titles and that he is ambitious, only to then not sign anybody and be let down, hence why Poch also said this in the same interview.

Is the priority to earn money or win titles?

MP: "The board will say they want to win titles but to do that you need to invest."

"But if you look at our bench and Ajax’s.. they have Huntelaar, Dolberg. Which striker did we have on the bench in the first leg?"

"What can you say about Tottenham-Ajax? We have players who are pushing their limits. That’s why there’s a high risk of picking up injuries because there isn’t anyone else available."

He has also said, numerous times this season, that the current project has now "finished" and in order for us to go forwards we need to start a "new project" now that the stadium is finished so we can match Liverpool and City in ambition and take the step to the next level.

They've got a transfer committee there, and I think it is paying dividends. But my original point was that they favour players who, in addition to being able to play a bit, can play at a very high intensity because of their athletic ability. Don't be a micro-dick now, Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 -you had no problem praising them last night.
Basically Liverpool's signings seem to match there style of play & seem to have some sort of plan behind them. Ours seem quite random & directionless. Llorente, Janssen, random French league wingers, extend crocked lamela contract.

People just struggle to compliment Liverpool which is understandable.
That's why they say on the 1 hand Liverpool have spent poorly. Yet on the other hand , klopp is doing a bad job with these so called poor players they have signed. So all that leaves is luck in nearly every game for them being so good this season. They have had luck but not every single win.

Last edited:
Ok maybe looking for negatives was a bit clichè but I really can't see what you're seeing sorry.

Madrid asked, he wouldn't break his contract, Levy wouldn't let him go, so he's still here!

I don't see anything about Levy not backing him. I've never seen or heard Poch or Levy say anything that tells me they are not on the same page. The only people who think that are on here, other social media or the media in general.

"The situation was difficult. It’s the dream of every coach to coach at one of the best teams that exist. And you have to say no. That’s tremendous."

Basically Liverpool's signings seem to match there style of play & seem to have some sort of plan behind them. Ours seem quite random & directionless. Llorente, Janssen, random French league wingers, extend crocked lamela contract.

People just struggle to compliment Liverpool which is understandable.
That's why they say on the 1 hand Liverpool have spent poorly. Yet on the other hand , klopp is doing a bad job with these poor players they have signed. So all that leaves is luck in nearly very game for them being so good this season. They have had luck but not every single win.
Exactly. They look for players who can implement Gegenpressing.

Exactly. They look for players who can implement Gegenpressing.
We also changed from our pressing style once we moved away from the old lane. It may have been due to the bigger dimensions of the pitch, pressing is harder when the pitch is larger. Liverpool can still do that at Anfield. I wonder if the Gegenpress would work on larger pitches?

Because Levy likely made assurances to him that we will continue to improve and told him that he also wants to win titles and that he is ambitious, only to then not sign anybody and be let down, hence why Poch also said this in the same interview.

Is the priority to earn money or win titles?

MP: "The board will say they want to win titles but to do that you need to invest."

"But if you look at our bench and Ajax’s.. they have Huntelaar, Dolberg. Which striker did we have on the bench in the first leg?"

"What can you say about Tottenham-Ajax? We have players who are pushing their limits. That’s why there’s a high risk of picking up injuries because there isn’t anyone else available."

He has also said, numerous times this season, that the current project has now "finished" and in order for us to go forwards we need to start a "new project" now that the stadium is finished so we can match Liverpool and City in ambition and take the step to the next level.

Agree with everything - but to be clear my interpretation is that 'the old project is finished' and the 'new project starting' (=investment in playing squad etc) is the reason for Poch's new contract - and he signed it believing Levy will invest more.

As a general observation, after spending circa £ billion on the stadium and new facilities IMO Levy is a good enough business man to understand that in order to maximise the return' on investment we need to get a large number of spectators paying a decent wedge to get say 55k or so average attendance. And in turn that means getting a good team/squad out there to get spectators in.

I am sure pre Poch's contract signing they will have had chats about what sort of squad investment means, and might for example have agreed that this summer its 4 or more players in of whom at least 2 are capable of being equivalent to those currently in the first team and the other two being very good 'squad players' or very promising youngsters (eg Dan James at Swansea) or whatever other criteria they have discussed. And ditto the next January TW (maybe only one player coming in as its more tricky) and next summer TW etc

So they have a deal which both have agreed the general criteria of players in - and Poch is probably only staying because he's generally happy and that Levy has generally observed any previous agreements they've had on bringing players in - remembering that there are 3 or more parties to every transfer so not all transfers come off.

So with a reasonable degree of trust between Ley and Poch we go forward.

BTW in business, I often have contracts signed which go into the bottom drawer and are not read again - its only when you find the other party to the contract appears not to be delivering expectations, do I feel the need to re-read the contract. And I suspect the same would be true of both Levy and Poch (who has an MBA and so has a good deal of understanding of business, and hence an understanding of Levy's position on things, which is why they di seem to get on well )

I agree

I can’t see anywhere Poch saying that he wants to go to RM or anywhere else

I agree

I can’t see anywhere Poch saying that he wants to go to RM or anywhere else

“The situation was difficult. The dream of every coach was at stake: to lead the biggest team that exists,’ Pochettino reportedly told Spanish newspaper El Pais.”

Obviously he was interested. But once Levy said no that was it, he is not someone who will go back on his word in that way. Poch has always said his future is up to Levy. If he leaves in the future it will be because Levy agrees to it. He will not force his way out.

Fair play.

So now the important thing is he is still here. Whether he wanted to go or not, the way the club is run means he didn't go.

And that's a good thing yes?

For us and the short term it is a good thing yes because he is still our manager, but not so much a good thing if Poch isn't backed on transfers and feels he can't accomplish what he wants here and the attitude turns sour or results go bad for us.

Who knows with Pochettino.

I think his poorly timed ramblings this season have contributed in part to our error strewn and at times directionless performances.

If he wants to leave, like Eriksen then he can fcuk off.

He has had close to the quality of player at times and over the season that Klopp has had and fallen short so let us not forget that.

If he wants to stay and commits to that he should be massively backed. If he isn't and chooses to go no one will blame him if he does.

My one rider is I am not convinced in any sense that he knows which players would take us to that next level or now has a football philosophy that makes ne think it's the players and not the manager.

We will know by the end of June because if we are serious about having a squad that compares favourably to our stadium we will have signed a couple of players.

The days of spending like a lower tier Premier League club have to end.

“The situation was difficult. The dream of every coach was at stake: to lead the biggest team that exists,’ Pochettino reportedly told Spanish newspaper El Pais.”

Obviously he was interested. But once Levy said no that was it, he is not someone who will go back on his word in that way. Poch has always said his future is up to Levy. If he leaves in the future it will be because Levy agrees to it. He will not force his way out.

I don’t think it was obvious and he was just talking generally and maybe didn’t make himself clear especially as English is his 3rd language

Back
Top Bottom