Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are they de Jong, di Ligt, Isco and we miss these because the value increases each week? Or are they Dier, Dele or Foyth?

I can only assume the former (pure conjecture, but, hey, what else can I go on?).

My suspicion is we want the £60/70 million players, but we face the tricky conundrum of wages and agent fees.

So, for example, what do we do about Eriksen?

a) Fingers crossed, we do everything in our power to keep him.
b) We stump up for a legitimate prospect e.g. De Jong
c) We buy someone not so established, and hope for the best.

I don't think Poch is quite as keen on C. Or rather, he will always promote youth but it can't be our *only* strategy.

Jesus christ.

You're essentially saying that the reason we've signed no one is because Poch didn't find any targets he likes within the budget he already agreed to beforehand with the club.

Load of bollocks and contradicts so much of what he's said.

He said after the Tranmere game how difficult it is to find players to IMPROVE the team!!
I'm sure as soon as Grealish price got above £25m Poch said fuck that for a possible squad player?

You just waffle and deflect
I quote what is know, what is actually said, what is actually communicated by Poch, the Club numerous times.

I'm not a mind reader, if I 2nd guess then I say that I'm 2nd guessing.

It's still not clear what our strategy is with our academy for example. I'm still waiting to see if those players out on loan will ever play for Spurs. We all were lead to believe that the only way to progress was not to go out on loan and train under Poch. Then we were told that this has changed as we loaned out a few players, now my gut tells me that these loan players will not make it at Spurs. But we will not know if this is the case until something happens to confirm either.

It really is simple, listen to what the club communicate and what actually happens. If what is communicated actually happens then it's fair to say you were right to listen. We are approaching a highly significant period, a game-changing period. A time we've been building up to for decades. The strategy of how that manifests its self isn't known, this is done to Poch to execute but I'd say that what Poch has just said 100% in-line with what the Club has always said and why we are building the stadium. If you aren't sure what that is , then what rock have you been under for the last decade?

Very exciting what he has just said.

He said after the Tranmere game how difficult it is to find players to IMPROVE the team!!
I'm sure as soon as Grealish price got above £25m Poch said fuck that for a possible squad player?
Well he's not gona say it's easy is he?

That's throwing the board under the bus and he's too classy for that.

Of course it is difficult to a degree but it's ludicrous that only us have problems in that area to this degree of severity

I can only assume the former (pure conjecture, but, hey, what else can I go on?).

My suspicion is we want the £60/70 million players, but we face the tricky conundrum of wages and agent fees.

So, for example, what do we do about Eriksen?

a) Fingers crossed, we do everything in our power to keep him.
b) We stump up for a legitimate prospect e.g. De Jong
c) We buy someone not so established, and hope for the best.

I don't think Poch is quite as keen on C. Or rather, he will always promote youth but it can't be our *only* strategy.
Evidence supports the fact that we now pay wages to the players we want to keep. I'm very confident with the strategy and execution of keeping these players together, even dealing with the threats of those who are want away players.

Your guess is as good as mine regarding the profile of new players.

Both are also determined on the amount of revenue we are now/about to bring in but back of a fag packet calculations suggest it's going to be circa £400m if we are in CL.

I quote what is know, what is actually said, what is actually communicated by Poch, the Club numerous times.

I'm not a mind reader, if I 2nd guess then I say that I'm 2nd guessing.

It's still not clear what our strategy is with our academy for example. I'm still waiting to see if those players out on loan will ever play for Spurs. We all were lead to believe that the only way to progress was not to go out on loan and train under Poch. Then we were told that this has changed as we loaned out a few players, now my gut tells me that these loan players will not make it at Spurs. But we will not know if this is the case until something happens to confirm either.

It really is simple, listen to what the club communicate and what actually happens. If what is communicated actually happens then it's fair to say you were right to listen. We are approaching a highly significant period, a game-changing period. A time we've been building up to for decades. The strategy of how that manifests its self isn't known, this is done to Poch to execute but I'd say that what Poch has just said 100% in-line with what the Club has always said and why we are building the stadium. If you aren't sure what that is , then what rock have you been under for the last decade?

Very exciting what he has just said.

So you'd say that Poch does want to stengthen but only when it's reasonable as planned?

I'm the one on here who says "splash the cash".
I want us to not be bottom of the league for spending and the only ever club to not sign a player during the summer window despite a bunch of top 3 and CL positions. "Degree of abandon" lol ffs.
We have some way to go before we're close to being reckless.

Seems you missed the gist of my post...

"Splash the cash" (as a phrase) suggests a "degree of abandon".

...To cling to such a notion given the article we've just read represents false hope in my opinion.

It's about levels of expectation.

The new stadium doesn't suddenly make us cash rich.

If it's merely 'clumsy' phrasing on your part, then fair enough, my prior comments become null, but I'm certainly not implying that people are un-resonable for wanting to see player acquisitions in the coming windows.

Edit: In short, when people seem more concerned with "spending" than they are "acquisition" alarm bells ring.

Seems you missed the gist of my post...

"Splash the cash" (as a phrase) suggests a "degree of abandon".

...To cling to such a notion given the article we've just read represents false hope in my opinion.

It's about levels of expectation.

The new stadium doesn't suddenly make us cash rich.

If it's merely 'clumsy' phrasing on your part, then fair enough, my prior comments become null, but I'm certainly not implying that people are un-resonable for wanting to see player acquisitions in the coming windows.

Edit: In short, when people seem more concerned with "spending" than they are "acquisition" alarm bells ring.
Fair enough

The phrase is a bit jokey but I can see why you misunderstood, perhaps my fault.

Well he's not gona say it's easy is he?

That's throwing the board under the bus and he's too classy for that.

Of course it is difficult to a degree but it's ludicrous that only us have problems in that area to this degree of severity

Sounds like another "showdown" is imminent.... :angryscouser:

Poch's plan is to not spend until the new stadium?
Poch has money to spend, he knows what we can afford and where this is from (including player sales). The only thing that has changed with his budget is that we have increased our wage bill (+20% at last set of accounts) this is in-line with increased revenue from CL and playing at Wembley, since the last set of reports our wage I'd guess our wage bill has continued to rise as we've awarded many new improved contracts last year = Not losing our players.

The type of player and profile of player I've absolutely no idea who he is looking at. Do you? Of the 500 players, we've been linked to it's fair to say that Grealish was a player he wanted, given the comments from his camp and him staying at Villa (even then I don't think it was unequivocal).

When we are in the new stadium we will have more money to spend. Why the fuck did we build the thing?

I wonder how Sammy and Spursdem etc will spin this one.

Oh dear you too.....I answered Dane when he said the exact same thing. Here:

Nothing to spin. He says in the future we will need to spend more money to compete. Im assuming he means on new players and wages.

The stadium will help with that, but seeing as its not generating money yet, we will have to wait.
Some people understand why we have to wait. Some dont.

Why would I try and spin his words into some obscure meaning that he didnt say?
Im not John Thomas.

Im not the one who spins quotes. He says what he says. No double meanings, and no secret messages. I have nothing to disagree with Poch there. The club will continue to operate as self sufficent, so it can spend what it wants of its own money (in the transfer thread, Ive also quoted a post of mine from June saying just that before you try and claim Ive changed my stance)

So, now let me know how you are going to spin this:

“The problem is so dangerous about what the people perceive and what the reality is,” he said. “We live in the reality here. If I am in League Two or non league and I face teams like Tottenham or Chelsea or United or City, always in my mind is about winning. Sure, I am going to think that we can beat them.

“We are in Tottenham in a project that today is not only to win, it is to maybe…okay I don’t want to say a percentage, but it is about to care about the financial side. It is about to build the new stadium to help to do or to finish the project, that it is a project that is going to be a massive legacy for the club, for the fans, for the players in the future, for the new coaching staff, manager. It is going to be fantastic to have this possibility to work here in those facilities. It is amazing.

“But when you are in charge like a coach or a manager, like what happened with Arsene Wenger, that they were building the new stadium but at the same moment you have a lot of limitations and the people demand you to win but you don’t have the same tools to fight with other clubs.

“Of course it is going to be fantastic, but the most important thing is that I accept that challenge when Daniel Levy called me to offer a contract here. He was clear – him and Joe Lewis. And they say to me on this – and this guy was in front (points at Jesus Perez) – they said: ‘Mauricio, you need to prepare and to help the club to arrive to the new stadium. When we finish the new stadium, in the first season in the new stadium, to have a team that can finish in the top four in the season after.’

“We are in advance, no? That is why sometimes I laugh when the people say we need to win a trophy. Yes, but look at the project – how we are in advance. And that is true and you can ask Joe Lewis or Daniel Levy or ask Jesus. That is what they say to me.

“But we are so ambitious and we have the ambition to win. Of course, we want to win and be competitive and that it is in the way we are now. But I accept that challenge. But now we cannot say the club is in a position that is all bad.

“I think we are in an amazing position. The club is finishing the new stadium, one of the best stadiums in the world. The team is so competitive that we are involved for the third season in a row in the Champions League, playing the last year and a half in Wembley away from home.

“What more? Of course win and I want to win tomorrow. I want to win Sunday. I want to win, yes of course. But we will see if we can do something important.”

Doesnt sound like he was tricked into a contract and didnt know what the clubs goals were after all does it....also makes it crystal clear that the spending is reliant on the new stadium.

You still dont understand THFC. Still on the outside, still looking in. You dont get it. You do not understand what Tottenham Hotspur is.
It used to annoy me, then I felt sorry for you. Now Im just pissing myself at the fans like you, full of rage and hate towards the owners, while the club has never had more internal togetherness in over half a century.

He wants to spend

But he accepts the club plan/schedule. So he will be onboard it and hope to spend later "in the future".

So that means that he does want to spend now whilst simultaneously not being furious over it and wanting to leave. It's nlt a black and white issue but it's insane to think he doesn't want to spend ideally. He's said lots of times that every team wants to buy at least 2-3 players each season no matter what to keep things fresh.
Ya, but that's a level of nuance that is unacceptable.

So I can only say..

#LEVYPOCHOUT

I must say, at the risk of getting dragged into the 'argument that will never end', that's the clearest indication from Poch that he wants spending.

That's not to say Levy doesn't agree with him though. They're likely working out how to go about making the right acquisitions.

Thats what its about, there is clear co operation and understanding between the owner, chairman and management team on our plans, targets and finances.
He feels we need to spend more in the future in the tweet, and the article above clearly shows the importance of the stadium in relation to this.

Very encouraging words today

Also very interesting that the tweet people have jumped on is actually a paragraph thats been cut in half, surprise surprise:

The sexy part:
The other day I saw a stat that in the last 10 years in England and in Europe how the teams were spending money, and I think we were on the bottom, in England and Europe. Of course we’re doing a fantastic job but if we want to be real contenders we need to operate in a different way in the future.

The less sexy bit:
At the moment it’s fantastic, so far so good, but we’ll see if it’s enough to challenge and be consistent in the next five years operating in that way, if we’re capable to fight with the big sides in the same way that we’ve fought in the last four or five years.

Sounds like a few more years of this policy to me.

Also a big fuck you to the media when he talks about the future like this.
Loved the line "It is going to be fantastic to have this possibility to work here in those facilities. It is amazing."

(newbie speaking so take it easy)

I think my take from this is that Poch clearly wasnt sold a pup. I think he knew what the deal was and is relatively happy with it.
I think Levy is exactly right to stick to the plan, manage the club carefully and hopefully increase the budget over time as revenue increases.
Equally though there is no doubt that Pochs' stock has risen and there are obviously other options open to him. I hope he doesnt take them and stays to see through what he has started. But i couldn't moan if he didn't and took advantage of his new options. (After all if he had underperformed to the same extent he has overperformed then he'd probably be out on his ear by now.)
The only person who can really tell us is Poch, who for his own reasons is being somewhat coy. (and again I dont blame him, either he is keeping his options open or he is strengthening his hand with Levy. Both perfectly reasonable.
Just going to enjoy it for now.

(newbie speaking so take it easy)

I think my take from this is that Poch clearly wasnt sold a pup. I think he knew what the deal was and is relatively happy with it.
I think Levy is exactly right to stick to the plan, manage the club carefully and hopefully increase the budget over time as revenue increases.
Equally though there is no doubt that Pochs' stock has risen and there are obviously other options open to him. I hope he doesnt take them and stays to see through what he has started. But i couldn't moan if he didn't and took advantage of his new options. (After all if he had underperformed to the same extent he has overperformed then he'd probably be out on his ear by now.)
The only person who can really tell us is Poch, who for his own reasons is being somewhat coy. (and again I dont blame him, either he is keeping his options open or he is strengthening his hand with Levy. Both perfectly reasonable.
Just going to enjoy it for now.
Trying to be rational eh???

Bring on the hounds

So he has now said it.

Does anyone still dispute that P8chettino is saying what next Mr. Levy?

If we want to be title winners and continually challenging we need to at times buy big is what I see as the message.

Back
Top Bottom