Match thread: Tottenham vs Swansea (Home)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lloris is legitimately a top 3-4 keeper in the world. That was a tremendously brave challenge, with perfect timing and he brought a goddamn sack of bricks with him. There's not another keeper in the league that makes that stop.

I love how he bounced up and went straight back to his line. He hadn't heard a whistle and he's just cold like that.

There is such a thing as drawing out another team to create space behind. Every fucking idiot thinks you have to play like Barca these days. However we dont have the staff to retain the ball in tight spaces and create through a congested middle of the park. We have two brilliant wingers and sold our creative guy in the middle, yet AVB continues to stubbornly stick with this system.

Anybody who says we aren't turgid under AVB has shit in there eyes.

Yeah but we're top 4 and winning games, I remember when we were turgid and winning fuck all.

Our support is shit this season. Some people seem so spoilt and if we're not 3 nil up after half an hour they're moaning and getting on the players backs. I saw it again today. It was almost like they were Woolwich fans.

We looked threatening when we pressed them high up the pitch, forcing them to give the ball away (that is what pressing is). That meant the distance to goal is far shorter and improves our chance to attack. It might have escaped your attention but the oppoents goal is at the other end of the pitch to ours! So where do you expect us to press in our 6 yard box???? You know fuck all about football.

Seriuosly, how arrogant are replies like this? "You know fuck all about football".

In recent seasons it has been a specific tactic of ours in big games (noticably against Woolwich) to play a pressing game in our own half. Not in attacking areas. To only press in your own half is to draw the opposing team toward you creating space behind them. We had excellent wingers in Lennon and Bale, FBs able to attack in Ekotto and Walker, quick forwards and people like Huddlestone, VDV and Modric in midfield. This enabled us to suck Woolwich in, release the ball behind them quickly and break with real purpose. And it worked. First time Harry beat them at the lane they ended up with something loke 60% possession and yet were never in the game, it was genuis.

This is, if Im not mistaken, the sort of football Carlo wants to see us play (Im sure I saw him say as much previously). It has proven to work with us and arguably plays to our strengths so I can see why he might prefer it.

Personally I like the idea of being adaptable. In the first instance I would prefer a high pressing game and the ability to break down stubborn teams (something always beyond Redknapp) but also the ability to switch to a deeper, counter attacking style as well. I feel this is what the top level teams do, have real options to switch to when plan A isnt working. As well as plan A not being "lump it to Crouchy".

So who knows nothing about football? Theres a message in there somewhere, something about thinking before speaking, or looking before leaping, I forget now...

I think a sniper took Chico Flores down.
tumblr_memvu1ENoB1rt28efo1_500.gif

I'm glad I'm not the only one who values Sig, at the beginning there were a lot of people against him.

I think when he is being given his chances he's playing a lot brighter than Dempsey. Really think Dempsey was anonymous today.

This isn't even with lilywhite tinted glasses on but is there a better keeper than Hugo in the PL at the moment? Hart's good on his day but has made some right clangers especially this season- overrated.

Chav's keeper not what he use to be.
HUGO! I love it.:llorishuh:

System is probably the wrong word....ethos or style of play more fitting.

High line, squeezing the play in the oppos half as soon as we get it forward.

Strangle the game, using a philosophy of "if we stifle them in there half they cant hurt us"...*until they get desperate in the closing minutes and start punting long*...*Stoke next*

Its the footballing equivalent of putting a pillow over the oppos face and holding it there.

Personally I prefer the slashing the muther fucker to death method.

Pressing football is the game EVERYONE who's any good plays, previously I thought you were trolling - now I know you just know fuck all about football.

You're very Spursy though.

I thought Naughton was excellent today myself.

Am I the only one who almost prefers the way we play under AVB to the way we played under Harry? I feel like we look a lot more assured on the ball, and a lot more in control of the game - I never felt like that with Harry consistently and often I was just waiting for something to fuck up - even if we were playing amazing football.

AVB has obviously instilled a confidence in the team. If he hadn't, then we would've bottled it again today but we didn't, we held on. I actually thought we played really well. We kept possession fantastically, despite sometimes lacking that final ball, and we created some great chances. If we keep playing like this, with this ethos and confidence, and we upgrade players in January or in the summer...

We'll win the league :cudicini:

Anything less than dominating the match and getting three points and I would hope AVB would have the good manners to walk.

Well you got your wish. But it seems that AVB can't take any credit for this performance from your other posts? Guess he's in a no win situation with you. I think it's best we take it as read that you don't rate the guy and expect, sorry, hope for him to fail from now on. We'll see who was right in a season or two.

Maybe you even saw relegation?

Don't be silly pallmall, Carlito Brigante Carlito Brigante would be lucky if he could see the fucking nose on his face, he sounds like a drunken neaderthal half the time. I mean FFS "100% less punchy."

Is that meant to intimidate Blanchflower Blanchflower or something?

Let us know if he turns up blanchy, and if he has the pronounced forehead or dragging knuckles of the typical West ham fan.

Nean.jpg

I wouldn't let him buy you a drink though, he might date rape you and take you back to his nest.

Back
Top Bottom