Match officials: Bent, incompetent or just trying to do their best.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Flip the actors. Ben White is up and heading the ball into the net as Bissouma, both arms outstreched, palms wide, running at him, shoves him, pushing him back through the air. Pen given?

Saka into the box with the ball, Richarlison clumsily barges into him from behind, clipping his heels. Saka throws himself down screaming in agony. Pen Given?

:ange-hmm:

Yet none of us want to really admit what we have seen with our own eyes all season.

We'd prefer to gaslight ourselves with shit like "calls even out over a season".

It's already too late for that, we'd need calls every game for the rest of the season and they still wouldn't even out.

Howard Webb, the PGMOL, VAR, the Premier League, none of them are playing us straight up.

That push on Romero is scandalous.
How the fuck is that not given as a pen and even perhaps a red card? It's stopping / ruining a clear scoring chance by fouling the opponent with his hands all over him shoving him.
Did not notice that watching live as of course they don't show replays of that nicely.
I bet they don't even mention it on MOTD?
Or if they did, it's kudos to the rapist for stopping a goal by any means necessary, that's title winning stuff right there 🤮

If one of ours did that it's immediately given as a pen no hesitation.

Wright says Tottenham should have had penalty​

Speaking on Wrighty’s House, Wright admitted he would have wanted a penalty had the same happened to an Woolwich player.

“You know the thing with that particular foul, I still think personally I would want it because simply when you go into the penalty area, he is going at pace, Trossard is not trying to tackle him, he is running back with him but then Trossard is in the box and his leg is in a place where it’s caught Kulusevski,” the Woolwich legend said.

“With his honesty, he has tried to stay up, now the reason I’m giving that as a penalty – even though people say Trossard didn’t know it was happening – is that it happened and it happened in the penalty box.”

Wright says Tottenham should have had penalty​

Speaking on Wrighty’s House, Wright admitted he would have wanted a penalty had the same happened to an Woolwich player.

“You know the thing with that particular foul, I still think personally I would want it because simply when you go into the penalty area, he is going at pace, Trossard is not trying to tackle him, he is running back with him but then Trossard is in the box and his leg is in a place where it’s caught Kulusevski,” the Woolwich legend said.

“With his honesty, he has tried to stay up, now the reason I’m giving that as a penalty – even though people say Trossard didn’t know it was happening – is that it happened and it happened in the penalty box.”

Wright has integrity

Anyone with any can see its an OBVIOUS penalty and was in real time

The panel split over Kulusevski penalty incident in north London derby​

INCIDENT: Spurs wanted a penalty for a challenge made by Leandro Trossard on Dejan Kulusevski before Woolwich scored their second goal.
DERMOT SAYS: "I think there is a little bit of a nick on him, but then he clips his own heel. For me, minimal contact not a penalty."
Stephen Warnock: "I think it's a penalty. The big thing for me is, whether it is minimal contact or not, there is contact.
"I don't like it because it is very difficult to get out of the way of. Trossard clips his heel which makes him then cross his legs.
"By interfering with my stride pattern, you have knocked my leg where I can only kick my own leg. But I don't go down unless you don't touch me. That can only be a penalty."

'Fair call to rule out Van de Ven goal for offside'​

INCIDENT: Micky van de Ven goal ruled out for Spurs against Woolwich by VAR for marginal offside.
The Spurs defender was offside when Pedro Porro struck the ball - but it richocheted off Takehiro Tomiyasu and Gabirel before reaching Van de Ven.
DERMOT SAYS: "The argument is, 'has Tomiyasu deliberately played the ball, has it struck him or has he blocked it?'
"I don't think that is a footballing action. His knees are bent and his legs are together. It flies off Gabriel
"I think that's a fair call - it has struck him. The VAR is absolutely correct."

VAR was meant to be about "clear and obvious" situations!

Not about looking for millimeters of offsides.

The system is used for all the wrong reasons in England, to benefit the biggest clubs.

You only need a fan-boy referee in the VAR-room, to swing decisions in the"right direction".

Sometimes Sky don't even show replays of dubious situations, you need to ask the question why!

PL is the biggest league in the world, with the biggest money available. I think you need to be very naive to think there are no corruption going on.
Exactly. I was complaining about that non-pen decision on Kulu to a couple of ManU supporters yesterday (after the game) and, as you can imagine, it fell on deaf ears. I tried to argue that statistically, it's hard to ignore evidence of some form of corruption, where it's simple self-supporting corruption or active outside-interest payments.

They asked if I had my kids vaccinated.

After the obvious 'fuck you', I explained that it's far, far more likely that there is corruption in a £300 Billion industry than not and it's not all going to be a big bag of cash passed between clubs and organisers, it's going to be systemic, subtle and in some cases subconscious bias*, probably aligned with any active behind-closed doors corruption, if such exists, simply because their interests are aligned.

* I include this as corrupt because it's incorrect function with regards to the rules and supports whatever narrative is in play, as that's the line of least resistance.

In some cases, the PL just want the narrative to continue to the final day (which we all feared might happen before kick-off). The refs didn't want to make a call which ended the league early and cast doubts on their ability as adjudicators of the game. In other cases, some clubs make so much noise just to put pressure on the league, refs etc. so that they are blindly supporting those clubs in their bullying behaviour out of cowardice and fear of retribution. If the narrative had been about Spurs keeping the league alive until the last day, then you can be sure they'd have examined that tap on Kulu's ankle until they reached the right decision.

None of this requires bags of cash. It just requires self-interest.

TLDR; When the narrative switches to us (if we ever get big, successful or lucky enough) then we will (probably) benefit from it - because it benefits them for us to benefit from it.

Of course, if the back-room payments are big enough, we ain't getting shit. :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If your tinfoil hat hasn't fallen off in shock, here's some further reading:

An interesting article on the beeb, which shows the subconscious bias (AKA 'Fergie time') for bigger teams.

Some time ago, there was a great investigation into match-fixing in Sumo wrestling. It was really hard to prove, but they used statistics to find evidence and then that surfaced a whole ring of corruption, which shook the industry. I think we're due something similar in football.

Last edited:

INCIDENT: Spurs wanted a penalty for a challenge made by Leandro Trossard on Dejan Kulusevski before Woolwich scored their second goal.
DERMOT SAYS: "I think there is a little bit of a nick on him, but then he clips his own heel. For me, minimal contact not a penalty."
Stephen Warnock: "I think it's a penalty. The big thing for me is, whether it is minimal contact or not, there is contact.
"I don't like it because it is very difficult to get out of the way of. Trossard clips his heel which makes him then cross his legs.
"By interfering with my stride pattern, you have knocked my leg where I can only kick my own leg. But I don't go down unless you don't touch me. That can only be a penalty."

INCIDENT: Micky van de Ven goal ruled out for Spurs against Woolwich by VAR for marginal offside.
The Spurs defender was offside when Pedro Porro struck the ball - but it richocheted off Takehiro Tomiyasu and Gabirel before reaching Van de Ven.
DERMOT SAYS: "The argument is, 'has Tomiyasu deliberately played the ball, has it struck him or has he blocked it?'
"I don't think that is a footballing action. His knees are bent and his legs are together. It flies off Gabriel
"I think that's a fair call - it has struck him. The VAR is absolutely correct."

Fuck off Dermot you absolute dog noncing twat, if he clips his own heel it's because he was impeded in the first place.

Exactly. I was complaining about that non-pen decision on Kulu to a couple of ManU supporters yesterday (after the game) and, as you can imagine, it fell on deaf ears. I tried to argue that statistically, it's hard to ignore evidence of some form of corruption, where it's simple self-supporting corruption or active outside-interest payments.

They asked if I had my kids vaccinated.

After the obvious 'fuck you', I explained that it's far, far more likely that there is corruption in a £300 Billion industry than not and it's not all going to be a big bag of cash passed between clubs and organisers, it's going to be systemic, subtle and in some cases subconscious bias*, probably aligned with any active behind-closed doors corruption, if such exists, simply because their interests are aligned.

* I include this as corrupt because it's incorrect function with regards to the rules and supports whatever narrative is in play, as that's the line of least resistance.

In some cases, the PL just want the narrative to continue to the final day (which we all feared might happen before kick-off). The refs didn't want to make a call which ended the league early and cast doubts on their ability as adjudicators of the game. In other cases, some clubs make so much noise just to put pressure on the league, refs etc. so that they are blindly supporting those clubs in their bullying behaviour out of cowardice and fear of retribution. If the narrative had been about Spurs keeping the league alive until the last day, then you can be sure they'd have examined that tap on Kulu's ankle until they reached the right decision.

None of this requires bags of cash. It just requires self-interest.

TLDR; When the narrative switches to us (if we ever get big, successful or lucky enough) then we will (probably) benefit from it - because it benefits them for us to benefit from it.

Of course, if the back-room payments are big enough, we ain't getting shit. :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If your tinfoil hat hasn't fallen off in shock, here's some further reading:

An interesting article on the beeb, which shows the subconscious bias (AKA 'Fergie time') for bigger teams.

Some time ago, there was a great investigation into match-fixing in Sumo wrestling. It was really hard to prove, but they used statistics to find evidence and then that surfaced a whole ring of corruption, which shook the industry. I think we're due something similar in football.
Of course you were talking to def ears, talking to ManU supporters 😜

They used to get 10 free points a season during the Fergie era, for them it's the norm.

And look how the club Liverpool and their fan-base acted when they got 1(!!!) decision going against them! Official complaints, petitions, almost at government level.

And we, and a whole lot of other clubs gets like 5-6 of these decisions going against us EVERY season!

Think about how we would have been treated by football-England if we made official complaints, and started petitions every time a decision didn't go our way!

Last edited:
He never goes against the refs. It is pathetic.

It's all for views and clicks, he's paid to play the other side so it gets people talking about it and clicking/sharing - load of fucking nonsense.

Premier League drama and controversy just sells as much as the football, big reason why the PL are happy with VAR because it drives more narratives and sells the product even more which probably tells you why VAR is the way it is, it's governed on feelings and moments as opposed to impartiality.

It's all for views and clicks, he's paid to play the other side so it gets people talking about it and clicking/sharing - load of fucking nonsense.

Premier League drama and controversy just sells as much as the football, big reason why the PL are happy with VAR because it drives more narratives and sells the product even more which probably tells you why VAR is the way it is, it's governed on feelings and moments as opposed to impartiality.

Yeah I said the same last week. It is why it isnt going anywhere.

Yet none of us want to really admit what we have seen with our own eyes all season.

We'd prefer to gaslight ourselves with shit like "calls even out over a season".

It's already too late for that, we'd need calls every game for the rest of the season and they still wouldn't even out.

Howard Webb, the PGMOL, VAR, the Premier League, none of them are playing us straight up.
Its getting to the point now where I dont even want to watch football any more - Something really fucking sinister is going on

Dermot discrediting every referee in the British pyramid with this bullshit

Back
Top Bottom