Match officials: Bent, incompetent or just trying to do their best.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm sorry, who did I call a conspiracy theorist in this conversation?
I guess you make a distinction between conspiracy theorists and people who are "obsessed with the idea of conspiracies." ?
The handball rules have always been discussed since way back when and they've always changed it to keep up with the game because players are ever finding way to exploit it, this was in 2005 for God's sake:

What has changed was the digital era and the introduction of VAR and the over scrutiny of handball laws and those sort of controversial/subjective incidents and such

We're now at a stage now where people spend every minute of their day scrutinising, comparing to other incidents and making false equivalencies to the point where they're obsessed with the idea of conspiracies.

I called it out as the waffle it was, then took the piss out of you. That doesn't = offended mate.

You called it waffle because you couldn't rebuttal it and you took your stupid pills like you normally do when you can't get your own way in debates and then had a meltdown and got all offended because I used the word conspiracies, standard stuff from you 😆

You called it waffle because you couldn't rebuttal it and you took your stupid pills like you normally do when you can't get your own way in debates and then had a meltdown and got all offended because I used the word conspiracies, standard stuff from you 😆

No meltdown or offense taken. I didn't have a way that I wanted either mate. Just making the point that the handball rule is a mess. I'm far from the only conspiracy theorist making that point either.

I think that there is a degree of incompetence involved, but it's the inconsistency that's the real problem. The refs aren't helped by the ever changing landscape of a 'flavour of the week' focus on a particular law - usually as the result of a perceived injustice to a 'big' team.
But Spurs do, I believe, suffer occasionally because of a deeper entrenched problem. When the ex Man U, Liverpool and Woolwich 'legends' that stink up football coverage are happy to use the 'Spursy' comment ad nauseum it creates a subconscious 'order of things' hierarchy in officials minds - and I am happy to accept that it isn't a conscious or deliberate modus operandi generally. It's precisely why media is not allowed to comment when a legal case is subjudice. Refs are comfortable with an adverse decision because it's just Spurs being Spursy.
Did Keane, Wright, Merson, Neville, Carragher et al. call Brighton 'Hovesy' or Villa 'Villarsy' or West Ham! 'Hammersy' this weekend?
I don't even think it's wholly a malicious comment from the LivArsUtd pundits cartel - more a filler they resort to when their lack of intellect, vocabulary and original thought surfaces, and that happens very often.

I remember when Spitty Carragher said they he didn't like the term "Spursy" then proceeded to call us Spursy because we lost 1-0 to Man City in a cup final with Mason at the helm.

“It’s on the players. A lot of people and other pundits say ‘typical Spurs, Spursy, they’re weak’. And I fight against it because I think it’s lazy punditry"

Carragher went on to describe the performance as “Spursy” and “weak” as he dismantled Tottenham’s tentative build-up play.

I see Mike Dean was asked about the Werner penalty shout.

His response?

"It wasn't given because Werners foot was planted and the defender kicks his foot"

:ange-facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom