Manor Solomon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
from an account saying "From the river to the sea Palestine will be free" in the profile... aight.

I love how Israel's players are supposed to just take being ostraziced in a way no other country's players are, blamed and abused every day yet when they get framed for a terrorist attack their enemies conducted, they can't even say anything.

If this was a Palestinian player making the same comment, he'd have 100k likes.
They have the whole western establishment supporting them. They’ll be ok.

No other country? Russians have been cancelled from everything in a way that Israelis have not.

His country are at war and he made a social media post… Ordinary people in his country were killed and there is an army that want to kill more of them.

Is anyone surprised?

If we had a player with family in the Gaza Strip would you not expect them to make a post? Ordinary people in their country were killed and there is an army that want to kill more of them.

At the end of the day, getting caught up and emotional about the fucking social media posts of ordinary people is a distraction from the real perpetrators of war.

This is a politicians war. This is an arms dealers war. All of us, regardless of what nonsense “side” we’ve decided we feel strongest about need to remember who it is that wants to use war to their own benefit.

I think footballers on BOTH sides should stay the fuck away from all this - unless they genuinely know what they're talking about - which, to he fair, some actually might!
El Ghazi has been banned by Mainz, and the fella from Nice has also got into hot water about speaking out in favour of Palestinians....

Not to mention this;
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/Woolwich-elneny-israel-hamas-palestine-31167814
(why does this not load as a link btw)
Let's see how that plays out over the next few days...

To his credit (but probably due to his higher profile) Mo Salah has stayed out of it... But guess what? Has come in for criticism for doing so:

Seriously, wtf ARE they supposed to do?

It's not often I pity professional footballers, but in this case, it's a mess whatever side they're publicly, or privately on!

Last edited:
I think footballers on BOTH sides should stay the fuck away from all this - unless they genuinely know what they're talking about - which, to he fair, some actually might!
El Ghazi has been banned by Mainz, and the fella from Nice has also got into hot water about speaking out in favour of Palestinians....

Not to mention this;
Let's see how that plays out over the next few days...

To his credit (but probably due to his higher profile) Mo Salah has stayed out of it... But guess what? Has come in for criticism for doing so:

Seriously, wtf ARE they supposed to do?

It's not often I pity professional footballers, but in this case, it's a mess whatever side they're publicly, or privately on!
The irony is that Egypt 'stayed out' of the Palestinian plight when they could and should have done more. Salah is doing what his country has been doing for years.

Sure okay. Not interested in sides.

Solomon should be told to keep quiet. Esp as we don’t have all the facts

Not sure I agree on telling people to stay quiet, with or without facts.

That's censorship. I don't want anyone to not express themselves.

Let people say things. They are words. Eventually, enough words make them all meaningless and harmless in comparison to the actual events.

You give any excuse to censor people and then censorship becomes normalized. We are already on a pathway to a proxy world war, if we aren't already there. Authoritarianism and wars go hand in hand and the more you give up, the harder it is to fight and get it back after.

The irony is that Egypt 'stayed out' of the Palestinian plight when they could and should have done more. Salah is doing what his country has been doing for years.
Egypt is a broken shithole, they lurch from crisis to crisis, they can't do shit. Arab countries are generally too weak and poor to do anything, as we found out the last time they tried something.

His country are at war and he made a social media post… Ordinary people in his country were killed and there is an army that want to kill more of them.

Is anyone surprised?

If we had a player with family in the Gaza Strip would you not expect them to make a post? Ordinary people in their country were killed and there is an army that want to kill more of them.

At the end of the day, getting caught up and emotional about the fucking social media posts of ordinary people is a distraction from the real perpetrators of war.

This is a politicians war. This is an arms dealers war. All of us, regardless of what nonsense “side” we’ve decided we feel strongest about need to remember who it is that wants to use war to their own benefit.
I think the difference is when you're in the public eye and you have a profession such as football, just keep your thoughts to your inner circle, there's always going to be blow back irrespective of what side you're on, so it's within any footballers interest to keep their thoughts on the low. I mean really, as a footballer why is it really necessary to publicly state your thoughts when it's ultimately going to make faff all difference in the world other than potentially damage your career prospects.

I think the difference is when you're in the public eye and you have a profession such as football, just keep your thoughts to your inner circle, there's always going to be blow back irrespective of what side you're on, so it's within any footballers interest to keep their thoughts on the low. I mean really, as a footballer why is it really necessary to publicly state your thoughts when it's ultimately going to make faff all difference in the world other than potentially damage your career prospects.

Yeah I understand why he feels the way he does and wants to react but as a footballer like it or not he has responsibilities and a platform, he's probably getting pressure from his own people and his family to speak out but at the same time he needs to keep his emotions in check because he's representing our club.

Never been a fan of footballers making political statements myself.

Here I fully agree mate.

It really wasn't in Solomon's interests as a player building his career and not knowing where his next contract comes from. Every athlete should remember that it's in their interest to remain as politically distanced as possible. You want fans from as many walks of life as possible to identify with you as an athlete.

Where I don't agree is the club, or anyone really, telling him not to post or say anything. That's his call and his call alone.

Here I fully agree mate.

It really wasn't in Solomon's interests as a player building his career and not knowing where his next contract comes from. Every athlete should remember that it's in their interest to remain as politically distanced as possible. You want fans from as many walks of life as possible to identify with you as an athlete.

Where I don't agree is the club, or anyone really, telling him not to post or say anything. That's his call and his call alone.
I agree to a point, but if we're honest very few of us here have any comprehension of what it's like to be in his position right now. He probably shouldn't be saying anything, but then it's so easy for us to sit here in relative safety and with all our friends and family in relative safety. I just cannot bring myself to lecture him. This isn't just a minor tit-for-tat skirmish, there are people who want him and his entirely family exterminated on the basis of his ethnicity alone. Wiped off the face of the planet. It would take a better man than I to just be quiet in case I upset someone on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom