Man Utd Vs Tottenham, Sunday 4th Oct - 4.30pm.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Taking off Lamela after 45 minutes to protect him from a second yellow (you just know Utd players would be diving if he got within 5 yards) and being able to choose from Lucas or Dele, with Bale watching on from home, what a huge step up that is from last season.
Gareth must feel good about coming home watching this, we can probably change half the team at half time without changing the quality of the team, never known this, keep it up. COYS

Hey Mrs p.
Hope you are well and surviving through all this nonsense? Great result and performance like yesterday's probably helped!
May I ask why you are a cockney malteaser? Just seen it and it reminded me to ask you!
Hi, all good here, surprising how great results make my mood so much better!
I was born in Malta and came to England when I was 6, in 1962. We first lived just off Brick Lane, E1, them moved to Bethnal Green. Always lived East London or Essex suburbs. That's why all my partners have been Spammers! 😀

Re: Project Tanguy....

Dele next. :mourthumb:

Elias Elias - How contrived towards 'project Dele' do you think the edit of the TV show may have been?

I mean we got all sides of him; the glowing rhetoric and Fergie anecdote, the 'cute talk of chocolate bars, we got the critique of training, we got the mini spat with dier....

Then as the doc drops we have the odd HT sub against Everton which made us worse and a short exile from the squad (whilst the TV hype died down?); followed by a pledge of commitment from the club and a couple of 'rehab cameos'.

Am I over thanking this or was it all masterfully orchestrated to reboot a gifted player who'd lost his way?

Hi, all good here, surprising how great results make my mood so much better!
I was born in Malta and came to England when I was 6, in 1962. We first lived just off Brick Lane, E1, them moved to Bethnal Green. Always lived East London or Essex suburbs. That's why all my partners have been Spammers! 😀

Sounds similar to like my dads childhood ( minus the Malta). Born in Bow, went to Stepney Boys School.. then slowly moved out, South Woodfood then Ipswich to work in Felixstowe. He should have been West Ham.. but glad he saw sense.

“Tottenham were absolutely magnificent - organisation, desire, aggression with and without the ball, clinical in forward areas, every player was a 9/10.

They were absolutely sensational. It was one of the best performances I've seen at Old Trafford.” - Robbie savage.
At least someone isn’t equivocal about our performance.

What a performance.

Hard to feel like we are not putting together something very special. Fair play to Levy for backing Jose, he is obviously delighted with the squad and feels like we can do something big this season.

I'd like to give a shoutout to three of our unsung heroes from yesterday:

- Hojbjerg: Absolutely bossed it. Showed us all the level he is capable of with the aggression and leadership but also quality on the ball. A performance fit for the often quoted Guardiola-Busquets comparison.

-Sissoko: I'm not his biggest fan but he was brilliant yesterday. When we are facing tougher opposition and expect to have less of the ball he is a great nuisance to have in there. I'm really excited about the platform him and PEH gave to our attackers to go and play. His physicality brings you comfort and his ability to cover a right back helps out a lot. He is proving that he still has his uses despite what that dope Igula Igula says.

-Aurier: Building on the solid performance against Chelsea he probably put in his best in a Spurs shirt yesterday. I think he is a better one on one defender than Doherty and again I feel more secure with him in their against the likes of Rashford, Salah and Sterling. Doherty should be used when we need that extra attacking edge to break down stubborn teams but I think he will leave us exposed against higher quality teams if he doesn't change his game a bit.

After that destruction at Old Trafford and Liverpool's mauling the league really is wide open.

I think the players will be ultra confident now and feel like there's no reason they can't challenge.

For the first time in a long time I bet Kane is looking around that dressing room thinking "We finally have the squad to win something here". Exciting times.

Elias Elias - How contrived towards 'project Dele' do you think the edit of the TV show may have been?

I mean we got all sides of him; the glowing rhetoric and Fergie anecdote, the 'cute talk of chocolate bars, we got the critique of training, we got the mini spat with dier....

Then as the doc drops we have the odd HT sub against Everton which made us worse and a short exile from the squad (whilst the TV hype died down?); followed by a pledge of commitment from the club and a couple of 'rehab cameos'.

Am I over thanking this or was it all masterfully orchestrated to reboot a gifted player who'd lost his way?
To be blunt, my view is you're guilty of some over-thinking.

Timelines and agendas are important.

1) The "Dele is a bit of an idiot" narrative would have been a production team decision developed over the summer. Basically, in the cutting room, they had lots of cilps of Dele behaving like a dodo, and decided to edit in the dumb moments and leave out any "smarter" moments they may have filmed. This was basic reality TV "let's use editing to emphasise personality traits and thus create the Dele character". There's nothing sinister about this other than the fucked-up, concocted, nature of all reality TV.

2) The Fergie anecdote. My instinct is this was real. Fergie did like Dele's attitude from afar, and conveyed this to Mourinho, who also likes spiky players. Mourinho retelling the anecdote to Levy was Jose telling a story he knew would thrill Levy. But I believe when Mourinho became our gaffer he wanted to find that Dele, not Dele's brother, and in the Amazon series it's clear that Jose's challenge to Dele did produce a near immediate bounce in his performances.

Unfortunately, Dele's form went to shit after the first lockdown, and culminated in the HT hooking against Everton. But the entire Amazon narrative was edited & created weeks and months ago, long before that Everton game. The fact it was broadcast around that time is irrevelant to any meta-narrative.

My broader sense is Mourinho saw GLC and Ndombele improving after he challenged them, and Dele deteriorating in recent weeks. If PSG had made a big bid for Dele, I suspect Mourinho would have sanctioned the move to free up funds to "complete his squad puzzle". But PSG made an insulting bid of £1.5 million for a loan, so Levy said "Non, Fuck Off".

So, no, I don't believe there's any "masterful orchestration to reboot a gifted player who'd lost his way".

Dele will likely stay. If he rises to the challenge, and becomes an important member of our squad, then great. But it's up to him. And with Bale & Carlos Vinicius added to our attacking options, and GLC & Tanguy providing the creativity from midfield, Dele will genuinely have to raise his game in training to be trusted by Mourinho with a run in the team.

Having said all that, I think Mourinho was very smart to involve both Ben Davies and Dele in yesterday's game. He's kept them interested even though neither are now first choice in their natural positions.

Last edited:
Great result! I was concerned the worst ref in the PL was in charge but I think after last week they have been "told".

On another point Graeme Souness racial remarks were unnecessary and maybe shows his age. Many years ago it may have been like that, but now we see many English players go down easily. And I never heard any complaints from Sourness when Rudiger got Son sent off last season.

Also Sourpuss said last week that the handball given against Spurs was CORRECT!!?? Seems like Graeme has forgetten his roots and is trying to ingratiate himself to his Woolwich-loving Sky bosses.

Think they should have sacked him instead of Le Tissier.

PS: Mourinho is getting a tougher Spurs to click with his system. Looking good!

Racial remarks???? You mean stereotypical.

Bjt of an un-substantiated story about why Souness left Spurs. Rumours about things going missing in the changing rooms. Maybe someone like Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor might remember more.

Racial remarks???? You mean stereotypical.

Bjt of an un-substantiated story about why Souness left Spurs. Rumours about things going missing in the changing rooms. Maybe someone like Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor might remember more.

He'd probably be able to tell us more about Bobby Buckle as I think they were in the same class at school.. :dembelelol:

Sorry Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor but after yesterday I feel I can make a joke like that..

Just remember,

We did that to Man United, on their patch with no Bale, no GLC, no Bergwijn, no Vinicius, Moura on the bench...

When you hear these fucktard unite fanbois saying "it was a team that needs new players"

We could have said that every single fucking time we ever got beat, especially in the dark days of the 90's when we were getting twatted 6-0 by Chelsea and 7-1 by Newcastle.

Any team that is comprehensively outplayed and battered is in need of new players. And a new coach.
Bottom line, we are better than them. And it's going to take them getting 5-6 players to catch us.
And they have fuck all time to do that.

And just getting to grips with this season, if we had beaten everton instead of losing, we'd be top now.
We are in a race this season and, unlike other seasons, we have a thick enough squad depth and a manager with more than exough nous to keep the players going.

And despite that performance, despite a fantastic week, we're still behind Everton in the title odds so get your money on folks - 22/1 on Skybet.
Liverpool have been utterly exposed by Villa. All last season teams were beaten by Liverpool before a ball was kicked. Villa showed the league what happens when you get at them and comit.

Back
Top Bottom