Man Utd (A) - 11 DEC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Playing mind games?

These Thursdays are killing us – Ibrahimovic

Date published: Friday 9th December 2016 10:00

GettyImages.626792508.jpg

Thursday night Europa League matches are “killing” Manchester United, according to striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Ibrahimovic, who has made 21 appearances this season, scored in United’s 2-0 win against Zorya Luhansk on Thursday night – his seventh goal in six games in all competitions – after a run of six games without a goal.

Jose Mourinho’s men now head the 2000 miles back to England after their assignment in the Ukraine and they are unlikely to do much training before facing Tottenham in the Premier League on Sunday.

Mourinho complained about having to play in the Ukraine in the depths of winter but his side progressed to the knockout stage, along with Spurs, who defeated CSKA Moscow at Wembley.

Ibrahimovic though is mindful that United’s Thursday-Sunday schedule will make preparations for the visit of Mauricio Pochettino’s side tougher.

“We don’t have a lot of rest,” Ibrahimovic told The Sun. “These Thursdays are killing us, especially me.

“Now we have one day less to recover before we face Spurs.”

Ibrahimovic’s words will serve as a warning to Spurs, whose demanding Europa League schedule hit their Premier League title hopes last season as Pochettino’s side hit a run of poor form towards the end of the campaign.

Pochettino said of the competition earlier this week: “I think the Europa League is very important going forward, it is a great competition.

“It is not a consolation because in the last few years Tottenham have been playing in the Europa League.
Fuck him & fuck them. Let's squash them on Sunday. :dembelefingers:

Pretty much every outlet I see says ManU are going to beat us soundly. They also say this is the weekend that Ibra and Pogba are going to turn Utds season around and head down the path for a title challenge. I can't wait till Toby has the Swede in his pocket and Moose runs rings around that idiot Pogba. It's going to be so fun to watch when they have to resort to hoofing the ball because they can't handle the pressure. 4-1

A few things...

1. I think it'd be harsh to drop Wanyama. He's been one of the best performers this season, and has made a real impact. I appreciate Dier will drop in and cover any gaps, which is always useful. Dembele has to play, so the other space is a fight off.

2. Son needs to give either Darmian or whoever plays LB a right run about. He's got more than enough to cause them problems all game. Kane will occupy the centre halves.

3. Mhikitariyan is looking good, but you can never tell which Pogba, Ibra or Martial is going to turn up. Our defence and middle 2 need to be on point Sunday.

Was asked how I thought we'd do vs United this weekend.

I said we'll smash them without any hesitation. Strange that so many (Media) seem to think the opposite.

Form seems to be better than United
Morale seems to be better than United
Fitness is higher than United
More rest than United
We have a better squad than United

Wouldn't be surprised it was 2-0 or 3-1.

Maybe a lot of the media still have Fergie-era games imprinted in their lazy minds, and Utd v Spurs was a fairly predictable result back then. In fact Utd at home was pretty much a home banker.

We can do this. COYS.

We need to run the legs off United tomorrow.

Controlled but aggressive football and take our chances.

We are slowly seeing a return to better performances from our key players and this has to continue.

This represents a strong chance for us to put some distance between us and United.

The one thing we still lack though is that pace up top and that means United might be able to squeeze the game which suits them more than us.

I would take a draw but if we go at them and hard then I think we could edge it.

Was asked how I thought we'd do vs United this weekend.

I said we'll smash them without any hesitation. Strange that so many (Media) seem to think the opposite.

Form seems to be better than United
Morale seems to be better than United
Fitness is higher than United
More rest than United
We have a better squad than United

Wouldn't be surprised it was 2-0 or 3-1.

We have a better manager than United?

Utd's whole: "These Thursday nights are beneath us attitude" is them all over.

Self entitled cunts still living in the glory days.

We are a better team than them and have been since Fergie left regardless of the ridiculous amounts of money they throw at the team every window.

Plus they are ropey as hell at the back and haven't won at home since September. They're certainly not a patch on the Chelsea team we gave a good account against and we have improved since then and have more key players back and in form.

I'm somewhere between giving them a hiding and Mourinho self imploding and a high scoring draw.

Maybe a lot of the media still have Fergie-era games imprinted in their lazy minds, and Utd v Spurs was a fairly predictable result back then. In fact Utd at home was pretty much a home banker.

We can do this. COYS.

From and including Fergies last season in charge to now, the record is:
Spurs wins: 3
Utd wins: 2
Draws: 3

Goals for: 11
Goals against: 10

Fuck all to suggest they will walk this.....maybe beating Zorya and West Hams kids in the cup over the last month has got the pundits all excited who knows.

It's a though one for Poch to decide here, part of me wants to see Dier instead of Wanyama as he plays that role perfect last season, but then Wanyama has done so well since dier has been playing at CB.... :pochsulk:

But it's good that we are finally in this posisition again, feels like it's been ages since we have had real competition for places!
:wanyama:

Saying all that with bravado above. But just put my bets on and couldn't help going for the old fail safe: Spurs winning half time / Utd winning full time.

Has won me a few quid over the years that one!

Last edited:
It's Dier or Wanyama. Tough choice either way. Wanyama edges it for me because he got some extra minutes rest on Wednesday and has more experience playing in midfield this season. Dier might need some time to fully adapt to playing as a midfielder again. Not sure United away is the match to do it. Certainly not when you have Wanyama available.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom