Man Citeh (Away)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should we not question his ability to manage at the highest level after some of our recent performances? If not, when may this begin? After we lose our next game? When we finish ninth? In three years time when we are still clueless?

While I am not staring to think about AVB Out (I want the stability and think/HOPE he can learn), I definately agree with your point.

It cracks me up when people are branded "supporters" in speech marks when they question whether they want a new manager. By that token, last season, half this forum were "supporters".

He needs to open his eyes and fucking quickly. I observed today's game with a familiarity about the result....but there was nothing familiar about our approach. Before this season that is.

This way of playing is AVBs Tottenham, and it needs to change. Its not how we do things, it rightly cost Graham his job, and people saying we shouldnt have expectations can sit there and lap this shit up without question.

Im not going to, and that doesnt mean Im less of a "supporter".

sammyspurs sammyspurs

I sort of get what you are saying but did you really expect us to relentlessly attack City? Or United, both away?

Wigan was poor OK and some of the European games have been but they were mish mash teams, I'm pretty sure he wants to focus on just getting results before swashbuckling performances.

Can't speak for Sammy, but I just want us to believe in ourselves more. City are a fine team, but Hart is fallible, Nastasic (sp) isn't great, Zabaleta is not a top full back, Kompany isn't at the level he was last year. We could have given them so many more problems than we did.

I know I should expect a defeat against the champions, it was the nature of that defeat that hurts. Much rather go with a bang than a whimper.

AVB's main problem seems to be a lack of confidence, so he tends to be overly cautious and the fucking injury list hasn't helped either.

sammyspurs sammyspurs

I sort of get what you are saying but did you really expect us to relentlessly attack City? Or United, both away?

Wigan was poor OK and some of the European games have been but they were mish mash teams, I'm pretty sure he wants to focus on just getting results before swashbuckling performances.

I dont expect us to attack anyone for 90 minutes, dont get me wrong. 1st half v Utd was the best we've played in the PL this season, and Maribor was the best 90 overall.

You dont have to be swashbuckling, but getting battered non stop for 45-60 minutes (QPR, Southampton, Utd, City, Wigan) is not even under the bracket of parking the bus.

Its simply getting penned back against our will because we have nothing, and hanging on with last ditch tackles, top notch saves, and refs not giving blatant penalties against us.

Its hoping they dont score, without the midfield or defence set up to effectively determine they wont.

We have the squad imo, injuries or not. Its mish mash because of the teams he picks.

Whats wrong with Naughton LB? Vertonghen and Gallas CB? Walker RB?
Why not play Ade and Defoe until we have an ACM who can actually offer us something?
Or try Falque, or Carroll?
Why persist with Dempsey even if you are too fixated on that formation to change it?

Injuries aside, he isnt making the best of what we do have.

And if the squad is weaker, well, certain players were sold and bought under his watch. He inherited the squad we finished with last season at the end of the day.

I dont expect us to attack anyone for 90 minutes, dont get me wrong. 1st half v Utd was the best we've played in the PL this season, and Maribor was the best 90 overall.

You dont have to be swashbuckling, but getting battered no stop for 45-60 minutes (QPR, Southampton, Utd, City, Wigan) is not even under the bracket of parking the bus.

Its simply getting penned back against our will because we have nothing, and hanging on with last ditch tackles, top notch saves, and refs not giving blatant penalties against us.

Its hoping they dont score, without the midfield or defence set up to effectively determine they wont.

We have the squad imo, injuries or not. Its mish mash because of the teams he picks.

Whats wrong with Naughton LB? Vertonghen and Gallas CB? Walker RB?
Why not play Ade and Defoe until we have an ACM who can actually offer us something?

Injuries aside, he isnt making the best of what we do have.

And if the squad is weaker, well, certain players were sold and bought under his watch. He inherited the squad we finished with last season at the end of the day.

Some fair points but do you think dropping Caulker and slotting in Naughton would make THAT much difference?
I'm sure playing both Ade and Defoe plays on his mind but he also wants us to play a certain way and changing that only 10/11 games into a season isnt going to help the players familiarise is it?

For me, we are still to soft in the middle, as exciting as they can be Bale and Lennon dont get involved enough for me, they dont make life difficult for opposing players and too much is asked of Sandro and whoever is alongside him.

At times under Harry I used to think players didn't really know where to be or what to do at times, I don't see that with AVB, more that players aren't quite firing on all cylinders.

Im confident with Parker and Dembele back to bolster midfield and if Lennon and Bale can come in and help out a bit more we will look a lot better for it. I just think we need to get something from the Woolwich game otherwise knives will start to come out.

Not strictly true though. He wasn't about to convince Modric or King to change their minds. Parker has been absent all season. Kranjcar went before VB arrived...essentially only GDS and VDV went under Boas, but then, VDV is basically what you're getting at.

Some fair points but do you think dropping Caulker and slotting in Naughton would make THAT much difference?

Ahh sorry, meant Caulker and Vertonghen CB. Main point just boils down to players in their right positions. Vertonghen was having a mare today, but when he brings on Naughton, its for Lennon.

Why not for Walker who was injured?!

Look at how we used the wings v Maribor. People talked about Inter. We cant do that without a striker steaming into the box, and if Ade is the hold up man, yet also the furthest man forward, then the move breaks down.

I really think a massive part of this is Dempsey. And its AVB picking him when he doesnt need to, imo.

I think he brought Dawson on rather than Naughton because Dzeko had just come on and he wanted to Match City playing 3 at the back but have a bit of height to counter late city balls into the box.

Could be wrong but we seemed to be 3 at the back (or you could say 5) when Dzeko scored.

Agree on the wings, thats whjere we were supposed to hurt City, only problem is, Lennon and Bale didnt get in the game enough but Hudd and Sandro were being given the run around in the first place by Toure Barry and Silva so they struggled to get the ball out there.

Agree on Dempsey, I really think it was like playing with 10men at times today.

One thing I do take heart from, I bet AVB is the type to thoroughly analyse games, he will learn (or I hope he will) a lot about our players after these kind of games.

Not strictly true though. He wasn't about to convince Modric or King to change their minds. Parker has been absent all season. Kranjcar went before VB arrived...essentially only GDS and VDV went under Boas, but then, VDV is basically what you're getting at.

Krancjar did fuck all last season, you might as well bring up Pav, or the loss of Saha.

I did say injuries aside. I think he could pick better squads with what we have.

King is a massive loss, but we can actually field a back four with Vertonghen CB now, but he wont do it.

Whatever we think of the Modric situation, he had 4yrs left, he was sold under AVBs reign, and the Moutinho deal was not wrapped up. We got Dempsey at midnight, and I doubt that was the plan.

Not blaming, just putting some responsibility where it should be. He is the manager.

Krancjar did fuck all last season, you might as well bring up Pav, or the loss of Saha.

I did say injuries aside. I think he could pick better squads with what we have.

King is a massive loss, but we can actually field a back four with Vertonghen CB now, but he wont do it.

Whatever we think of the Modric situation, he had 4yrs left, he was sold under AVBs reign, and the Moutinho deal was not wrapped up. We got Dempsey at midnight, and I doubt that was the plan.

Not blaming, just putting some responsibility where it should be. He is the manager.

Agreed, I think Dempsey was a panic buy but that and Mouthinho surely is down to Levy??

Modric leaving is AVB's fault now? Haaaahahahahahahahaha

:dempsey:

I think Kranjcar would do better than Dempsey in that role. Can tackle, definitely a better play maker, and can pop a shot in from distance too!

Agreed, I think Dempsey was a panic buy but that and Mouthinho surely is down to Levy??

I think Levy and the manager work together to be fair. If we identify targets, like we did with Moutinho back in June, I think they are both reponsible for bringing that player to the club.

With 4yrs left on Modrics contract, we could have held onto him until his replacement was a done deal. I dont believe we needed the Modric money first, just the assurance it was coming....which we had.

I dont believe Levy sold Modric above AVBs head.

Back
Top Bottom