Man Citeh (Away)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What on earth was Dempsey supposed to be doing…

Offering us a dynamic strength in the middle in our "strongest" formation, while supply a lightning quick counter attacking option when we break.

I think its known as the "stopping us getting raped" role, and clearly serves us alot better than the dated and naive 442, with a working partnership of proven PL strikers, who just played our best 90 minutes of football all season three days ago.

Didnt you see the game? It was clear and obvious how well it all worked out.

We got beat by the better team who haven't lost at home for nearly 2 years. Lets be honest their squad is vastly superior to ours

That's as maybe, but it doesn't stop a Fulham team drawing at a (vastly?) superior ArseAnal team, or Wigan winning at ours last week... thing is, upsets happen all the time, but unfortunately we don't have the underdog's mentality in games like this, 'cos we're 'above' all that... we tried to negatively hold out for a draw, and naively failed at it!

I'm not booing, I'm not ripping my season ticket up, but it has to be said, we really haven't learnt our lesson in holding on AT ALL COSTS when we're leading, and NOT conceding late goals.

Oh, an'anudder ting... BOTH times Kyle Walker has opened his mouth pre-match in the past 2 league games, we've been fucked over royally... does he have serious learning difficulties?
Please Kyle, focus on your game, and shut the fuck up when it comes to telling anyone within earshot "how easy Wigan will be," and how we'll finish 4th "with the players we've got" ...'cos at this rate, YOU sound like a mug, and you're making us look fucking stoopid while you're at it!

Still, at least THIS sesaon's late defeat at City was nowhere NEAR as frustrating as LAST season's... when I almost broke every bone in my foot by committing GBH on the nearest inanimate object within kicking distance!

Dempsey needs to dust off the mic and get back into the studio. More chance of success there than in our football team. The new Jenas.

Still, at least we can always sell him to the Scousers at a 200% markup in Jan...

Not well. Dempsey isn't doing much with or without the ball.
Though I'll not say Defoe would have been any better in this game because, aside from speculating on what might have happened....we'll never really know.

But Im speculating on what he and Ade offered last season and the other night, and what Dempsey has offered this season.

Not proof, but I see zero that would make me pick Dempsey, and again, he has proved himself to be the wrong choice. I cant see Defoe could have made the performance worse.

Personally I would have picked Lloris and played Adebayor behind Defoe in the same formation. Other than that I really don't see what AVB was to supposed to do differently. Kaboul, BAE and Dembele give us more energy and drive going forward. Missing those players mean playing a situation of "best fit."

Like it or not we are in a transitional period and what we are seeing right now is nowhere near the finished article that AVB will want to put out

Maybe Andre thought Citeh away would be a different sort of game to Maribor at home and decided to reinforce the middle of the park with Dempsey sitting deep rather than having Defoe further forward.

Well that would be a nice thought if Dempsey had given us any midfield presence in any game he's played this season. Instead, he's consistently given the ball away, doing the exact opposite of shoring up our midfield.

Hell, I'm not even saying that Defoe has to start, but if AVB was playing Dempsey to reinforce the middle, he's picked entirely the wrong player. Dempsey provided nothing in the middle, nothing up front, and nothing in the link up.

Unfortunately we're short on player who would have helped in the midfield battle and provided a threat up front. In Dempsey and Sigg we've got two players who are supposed to be able, but... :wall:

Back
Top Bottom