Liverpool vs Tottenham Hotspur. May 7th. Saturday – 7.45 PM.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bottom line - we absolutely cannot let them muller our positive GD.

Needs to be a mighty defensive effort, all round, to protect that.

CL, for us, could well come down to it.
agreed. losing just 1-0 or 2-1 might not be the worst result with the other games coming up. Avoiding injuries/suspensions and exhaustion will be critical for the NLD

We will get plenty of chances on the break. We just need to take them.

Remember Bergwijn and Kane missed 3 golden opportunities last season. Son and Sissoko the season before. Even Alli could have had a brace in the home game this season.

We are due a bit of luck against them. Trent & Robertson will get forward and that will leave space in behind. The game plan needs to be to get the ball into Kanes feet on the turn and we have a chance.

COYS:coys:
But if the Brighton manager can work out to put a midfielder in front of the Kane the whole game, I'm sure Klopp can work it out. Expect Hendo or Thiago to be on Kane's toes

agreed. losing just 1-0 or 2-1 might not be the worst result with the other games coming up. Avoiding injuries/suspensions and exhaustion will be critical for the NLD

Some reality and clear thinking. Absolutely.

My view. Go there and frustrate them as much as possible. Defend deep.

Then in the last quarter, go for it. What we don't want is to lose by 3 or 4 or pick up an injury or suspension

But if the Brighton manager can work out to put a midfielder in front of the Kane the whole game, I'm sure Klopp can work it out. Expect Hendo or Thiago to be on Kane's toes
Liverpool have to win, and will be going forwards at any opportunity. Brighton sat in deep and were more than happy doing it. There will be much more space for Kane to work in against Liverpool imo

Liverpool have to win, and will be going forwards at any opportunity. Brighton sat in deep and were more than happy doing it. There will be much more space for Kane to work in against Liverpool imo
I hope you are right. I still think they will put a man on Kane knowing that the rest of their team have so much capability to create chances

Completely disagree. We lose, the NLD is on a knife edge as they are a single result away from fucking us over at our place again

Last edited:
I imagine Fabinho will sit in front of Kane.

Personally think getting the ball diagonally in the space that trent and Robertson vacate is where we need to exploit them.

I'm expecting Kulusevski to start. If we can get Kulusevski and Son isolated on the wing running into the box then there should be chances there. Problem is going to be getting them up the field. I imagine Conte will want them to track back into a defensive shape.

Personally it's vital to have a 3rd midfielder. Don't think Conte will do this. Even in the setup Conte has us normally play, if one of the CB can step into midfield to create the 3rd man I think we would be able to compete.

Been watching lots of Liverpool recently and you can't afford to give their midfield time on the ball. The other thing is that trent and Robertson also come central into midfield and they have quality to deliver a pass. We must stop that the ball getting into their front 3. Most teams try to defend the front 3. I think the defensive line needs to be designed to stop their midfield.

Whilst there is some truth in this, I feel it simply boils down to the fact that we do not have any attacking options on the bench that are an improvement over those players already on the pitch. So, outside of injury/fatigue there seems no option to improve our goal scoring options.

Case in point. Winks and Bergjwin come on against Leicester - And both of them are at fault for the goal.

Better players on the bench than our best XI?

:contetellmemore:

I suppose the good thing is, the job is not done for them tonight (yet) an early goal and they can start taking off their best players and resting them.

To that end, they will likely go strong to start as it’s big job done yet so we need Villarreal to keep them honest for at least 50/60 mins.

Tough ask.

Our conversion rate when we actually get into the opposition box is crazy good in the last third of the season with the few exceptions. We get to their box and I believe we have a real chance of taking something, even a win.
we have a chance. I understand that we’ll be sweating like a scouser in a maths test till then, but I’ll have faith while it’s all still in our hands.

This must be the only time this season where there's been a 19:45ko on a Saturday (barring Christmas period).

Funny that it involves the dippers.

BT Sport will roll out all their Scouse pundits no doubt.

FFs. had assumed it was was SKY.. I dont have the BT subscription and couldn't face watching in a Pub surrounded by glory hunting Dippers.

If we’d shown the same effort desire and urgency against Brighton as we did against Leicester we’d have beaten them

Exactly, all we had to do to beat Brighton was actually try to beat them. If the players miss out on CL on the back of that result they can only blame themselves. A 5/10 performance would have been enough but they turned in a 0/10.

Now they will have to give a 10/10 at Anfield to make up for it and save the season.

Exactly, all we had to do to beat Brighton was actually try to beat them. If the players miss out on CL on the back of that result they can only blame themselves. A 5/10 performance would have been enough but they turned in a 0/10.

Now they will have to give a 10/10 at Anfield to make up for it and save the season.
Even then a win up there won’t definitely save the season

TBH shit performances happen; the lack of response against Brentford bothered me more (including the passive management).

BUT... Time and again 2 CMs vs 3 bothers the hell out of me.... If you're not playing well, it's so tough to flip the momentum of a game and lessen the amount of attacks that we are being subjected to.

Last edited:
Even a draw is a good result in that it forces Woolwich to have to win their 3 remaining games ( assuming it’s a given that we beat them in the nld)

Better players on the bench than our best XI?

:contetellmemore:
Think he meant even if Kane and/or Son are having an off day they are still better than anything we have to replace them. I thought the same as you to start with, and reasoned that as the only explanation.

Back
Top Bottom