Lineker thinks Tottenham will finish above Woolwich

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Man, I'd really rather not make these sort of claims right now. We've got a long way to go in a very competitive league, and no matter where we are on paper, they manage to scrape ahead of us every year with some sort of ridiculous league run following their annual evictions from everything else.

I do feel like this year is different somehow, just intuitively based on the character we have in this squad, but who knows? Let's just focus on wiping the floor with Chelsea for now.

Man, I'd really rather not make these sort of claims right now. We've got a long way to go in a very competitive league, and no matter where we are on paper, they manage to scrape ahead of us every year with some sort of ridiculous league run following their annual evictions from everything else.

I do feel like this year is different somehow, just intuitively based on the character we have in this squad, but who knows? Let's just focus on wiping the floor with Chelsea for now.

I think most of us - even the most pessimistic - feel that this year could well be the year based on the strength of the squad and some very very exciting additions. But then again I kind of felt that last year and the year before that. I'd love for us just to go and do it rather than spend a season talking us up. And it would help if people like Lineker would also just leave it.

As for wiping the floor with Chelsea. ... Amen, brother.

COYS!

thats my point we shouldnt care what they do.. I aswell wouldnt want them to win and if im honest wud be gutted if they did win the PL BUT if we finished in top 4 and had a gd go at it i wudnt be disappointed we finished below them.

My point is we need to stop worrying about them, and be more interested on what WE achieve.

if you ask Lineker (and me):
Gary Lineker predicts Tottenham will finish above Woolwich in the Premier League

The former Spurs striker has been impressed with how the Gareth Bale funds were spent - and is equally impressed by how the departed Welshman has looked to immerse himself at Real Madrid

Former England captain Gary Lineker believes Tottenham will finish above Woolwich in the Premier League this season.

The two north London clubs have been finishing the season closer and closer in recent years - with the battle for fourth place going down to the final day of the season last term before Woolwich clinched the last place in the Champions League.

This season looks to be no different, with the arch rivals occupying the top two places in the league after five games - separated only by goal difference.

Lineker, who played for Spurs between 1989 and 1992, has been impressed by the signings Tottenham made over the summer and thinks they now have enough to get the better of the Gunners.

"I think they'll probably finish above Woolwich," Lineker told Absolute Radio's Rock 'N' Roll Football Show. "Well, the interesting thing is that normally clubs... if they sell a huge player, they always say, oh, we'll spend the money, we'll put it back in the team but they invariably don't, whereas at least you can say for Spurs they've had a plan and they've spent that money - and they've spent it actually before they got it really - so I think actually they've bought pretty well on the whole."

Among those to arrive at White Hart Lane this summer include Erik Lamela, Etienne Capoue, Roberto Soldado, Paulinho, Vlad Chiriches, Nacer Chadli and Christian Eriksen. It is the latter, who was signed from Ajax, that Lineker pinpointed to be a success.

"You know, not all of them are going to be successes but I think Eriksen is going to be a terrific player, Paulinho is a force to be reckoned with…he's all over the place. I think a lot will depend on how Soldado adapts; he's sort of feeling his way at the moment as we saw with Giroud at Woolwich last season he struggled, this season he's looked a different player altogether; sometimes it takes them a while but you know, they've got the nucleus of a decent looking team there. And you know, even Woolwich having a go in the transfer market these days - what's going on?"

The investment at Tottenham this season was made possible by the departure of Gareth Bale for a world record transfer fee of £86m. The Welshman is due to make his home debut at the Bernabeu this weekend and while Lineker, who made over 100 appearances for Barcelona between 1986 and 1989, thinks it may take him time to adapt to life in Spain, the partnership with Cristiano Ronaldo could be formidable.

"I think they might score a few goals. The problem is where they can balance it at the other end but I mean, what a team going forward that will be. Ronaldo is something else. Bale has massive, massive potential; he was unbelievably good last season. It might take him a while to adapt, shame he's had one or two niggly injuries going into it, but prodigious talent, so they will certainly be worth watching and then you've got Messi and Neymar at the other place, so... Not bad."

Lineker, who is fluent in Spanish thanks to his time at the Nou Camp was impressed by Bale's efforts to speak the local language when he was unveiled by Real Madrid.

"He didn't just do two or three words, he uttered a whole sentence and you know, he'd probably been given a bit of guidance but good for him for having a go and the accent was fine and it's appreciated and that's the question, in a place like Real Madrid, big clubs like that, where they understand you're immediately making an effort to integrate yourself and you know, if there's one thing that he's got to do, is learn Spanish - communication is so important and in all sorts of different ways it makes life easier on and off the pitch and if you can... when I went to Barcelona, I looked at all the players that had been pretty successful abroad, Laurie Cunningham, Ray Wilkins, Platty (David Platt), Trevor Francis, Steve Archibald - the ones that did really well, where the ones that sort of immersed themselves in the culture and learned the language etc and I don't think it's any coincidence."

I think most of us - even the most pessimistic - feel that this year could well be the year based on the strength of the squad and some very very exciting additions. But then again I kind of felt that last year and the year before that. I'd love for us just to go and do it rather than spend a season talking us up. And it would help if people like Lineker would also just leave it.

As for wiping the floor with Chelsea. ... Amen, brother.

COYS!

You know, I was extremely pessimistic at the start of last season because we'd lost our two best passers (three, if you count Ade's disappearance) in favor of direct players (dribblers, finishers) and were left without a maestro, a playmaker, any kind of tempo-setter and incisive passer to hold us together. I did like AVB, but it pained me to see him given a team so devoid of balance, cleverness, creativity and inspiration... we really were team Bale, and it wasn't pretty to watch.

I feel different this season. We look like we actually know what we want to do, besides just run and tackle a lot. We are still grafting but it is with control, verve, and thoughtfulness. We are no longer standing around like individuals lining up to press individuals one at a time .. instead we're beginning to pincer, shout, build triangles to block escape angles, pass and move in possession to create a constant landscape of options for each other. We're not nearly there yet by any means, but we're building cohesion and fluency with every game.

Above all, we look focused. We'll be tested alright once we hit our first spot of poor form, but I genuinely don't think we'll collapse. It's not the emotional high of winning coursing through our blood that's carrying us right now, it's the understanding and execution of the fundamentals.

Just look at this little sentence buried in Paulinho's awesome interview today: "It is said that Spurs’ training sessions are now conducted with players interchanging positions at bewildering speed – across the midfield and attack – and rotating around Soldado."

I love it. Movement, speed, aggression and teamwork all around one goal - put the opposition to the sword. COYS! :D

Lineker was in the office at the weekend doing something for al jazeera, once man u went 4 down they switched commentary to the spurs game and when Paulinho scored in the last minute I'm told he went mental.

He's alright by me.

I honestly dont give a fuck where they finish... we will always be in there cunty shadow if all we care about is finishing above them.. the worse thing is most of our fans will see this season a success if we finish 5th and they finish 6th and im sorry thats just not acceptable.

We should finish in top 4 and fighting for the league, If the scum finish above us so be it but our aim should always be to finish high in the table and win cups NOT to finish above them. If we go for that instead of worrying about what there doing all the time it will happen anyway.

Who the fuck cares? We're 5 games into the season and this has cropped up again?

Forget about Woolwich. It's us always looking over our shoulder that has likely cost us in recent years and here we are again.

We have our own ambitions and dreams. We don't need to base our success off their own shortcomings.

Lets get the job done before we start this shit again Gary. Im optimistic about the season but so far we've played 1 good team and lost against them. There were some that thought the arse game was in the bag and it was a must win. How good we really are, we will know after the Chavs game.

Here we are playing another one of the Cartel the Protected top four once the proud ownership of Liverskint but now belonging to City Oiler's Chelsea Woolwich UTD What we did this year was swap a deadly telescopic rifle for a Machine Gun meaning we are not relying on a marks man Bale. What we played like at Woolwich was the opposition Army in Syria blindly shooting over a crumbled building hoping to hit someone now we are molding into a very good Team. The only downside is Chelsea have played has a team a lot longer and i expect old warhorse Terrrys all Gold Cashley Cole Checkmate Lampost ( fat Frank) Ivanabitch and co to come the Lane full of extra running. We have to match this and show the same desire to win all three points minus the mistakes we showed at Carrdiff Our biggest problem is finding the magic 11 who will win and perform in these top games a mixture of old and new . We need to create chances like our D+H team Defoe Holtby they have cemented a partnership based on the same telepathy of identical twins and scoring for fun. This is where Soldado has to improve is striking in stinks he had some great chances against Cardiff but they was grade A very hard ones he needs chances like Siggy two or on the end of Lamela cross like Paulinho or Defoe will have to play. I feel sorry for Holtby he was the stand out player in the Under 21 Tournament and has come back from injury in great form could AVB find a place for Holtby Erickson and Defoe Saldado in AVB we trust. I wish AVB could also find a way of getting Lennon bone in his foot to heal and ADY to knuckle down make peace with is Manager and show the fans why we bought him because on his day both Lennon and Ady are top draw players i wish where playing or on our bench. Spur 3 - Chelsea 1 please COYS

Funny thing about ex-players 'talking us up' is that it doesn't happen often enough to make it a comfortable read....

When the likes of Jamie Redknapp or his ilk constantly put us down and say we don't have a hope of finishing above THEM, we're all up in arms at such negativity and how ex-players of OTHER clubs (let's use Hansen/Liverpool and Merson/Nicholas/Smith/Henry at ArseAnal as examples) seem to still blindly love the club no matter what their circumstances, I do feel a pang of envy that they can breed such loyalty amongst their ex-players, and we can't!

Well, add Linkeker to Ginola (who will clearly love us until his dying day) and maybe we DO have some ex-loyalty after all!!!

Lets get the job done before we start this shit again Gary. Im optimistic about the season but so far we've played 1 good team and lost against them. There were some that thought the arse game was in the bag and it was a must win. How good we really are, we will know after the Chavs game.
Yes, you have a valid point ...
But imo opinion, beating the Chavs alone doesn't simply tell us how good we actually are.

It's beating the teams that we hypothetically should be defeating ... that really counts ... at first.

And this is where I am seeing progress with us this season, especially due to our superb depth.
If we continue performing and getting wins, especially against the mid-table and bottom of the table teams .. that's actually what will go a long long way for us. Beating teams on our level or above is like a bonus.

Like AVB said ... though tomorrow is a massive massive game for the players and fans, the result probably won't matter much come end of the season ... what matters is how we continue and pick up after this game.

If we continue like we have so far, and like how we picked up after the Arse-anal game ... I firmly agree with Lineker that we will finish in the top 4 this season.

Back
Top Bottom