Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agreed entirely.

I posted this midway through 2023 but the big challenge this summer was for bigwigs at the club to sit down and agree on the identity and style of play they want us to follow. Since the tail end of Poch we've had no direction at the club on the football side of things. Now we finally have a manager and style of play most fans will want to support, and the Paratici signings have been good in the main.

A problem is we are still wrestling with the failures from the previous regime which spent some big money but spent it very badly - dropping nearly 60 million on someone not serious about playing professional football must be near top of the list.

For all of the problems this season there has been a marked improvement in identity and application, and Ange has shown more than enough to be backed fully with a sensible buying policy.

It’s also why if Ange leaves or gets sacked we have to stick with this football. If he goes then get Arne Slot or someone similar, if we change styles again we effectively bin half the squad.

I do find it funny that such a money prudent club never caught on that having no identity costs a lot more than having a clear identity.

It’s like running a pub on tight margins but leaving the heating on full blast when it’s closed.

Hi Daniel!

When do the f1 carts go live? Any other exciting synergies we can look forward too as well?!

Think it’s time the stadium had an official disinfectant supplier
Getting an official disinfectant supplier isn't like popping down to the corner shop for a pint of milk and a loaf of bread you know

What happens next year with other sides though? They all improve so there is a window of opportunity to compete for the title this season with a few expensive tweaks. 2 or 3 players and I strongly believe we can challenge no matter what happens vs Bournemouth

I'm not really focused on other teams, they're always going to improve or try to improve regardless, I'm looking at our trajectory as a club, we carry on what we are doing over the past few years and keep this manager happy we will be good.

And this year we aren't winning the league, let's be honest, we just don't have the squad for it despite what happens in January and our players aren't seasoned enough. I think fans have whipped themselves into a frenzy thinking that's we have a chance to win this season but there's 3 teams who are just better and have more experience than us.

It’s also why if Ange leaves or gets sacked we have to stick with this football. If he goes then get Arne Slot or someone similar, if we change styles again we effectively bin half the squad.

I do find it funny that such a money prudent club never caught on that having no identity costs a lot more than having a clear identity.

It’s like running a pub on tight margins but leaving the heating on full blast when it’s closed.
Also defensive managers just do not work out at Spurs - they don't mesh with what the club is about, fans never take to them, and it all gets toxic.

We could spend 400M.

Why haven’t we brought in external investment? Why haven’t they sold a small % of their investment to fund a rebuild and grow the revenue/value of the investment? There are ways to make it work….. no-one is advocating 400M every year but as a one-off, it’s more than possible and sets us up to compete for years (and grow revenue and increase investment value).
We could if Enic gave us the investment, but they've been abundantly clear that they won't.

But that wasn't the point.
The point was that some actually believe that we made £400m net profit and that Levy is sitting on it a la Smaug.

That simply, and clearly, is not true.

We could if Enic gave us the investment, but they've been abundantly clear that they won't.

But that wasn't the point.
The point was that some actually believe that we made £400m net profit and that Levy is sitting on it a la Smaug.

That simply, and clearly, is not true.
If they won’t, why not go external? Sell a small stake and reinvest

How many years can we continue this ‘spend what we earn’ and try and compete strategy

I'm not really focused on other teams, they're always going to improve or try to improve regardless, I'm looking at our trajectory as a club, we carry on what we are doing over the past few years and keep this manager happy we will be good.

And this year we aren't winning the league, let's be honest, we just don't have the squad for it despite what happens in January and our players aren't seasoned enough. I think fans have whipped themselves into a frenzy thinking that's we have a chance to win this season but there's 3 teams who are just better and have more experience than us.
More experienced but I don’t think they are better. We looked superb at the start of the season until injuries to key players kicked in

Three new players and less injuries/suspensions and I would back us to go toe to toe.

You dreary man

If they won’t, why not go external? Sell a small stake and reinvest

How many years can we continue this ‘spend what we earn’ and try and compete strategy

Our biggest issue is player turnover due to how we are run. If a player isn’t good enough we are stuck with them for years as we generally don’t take the hit.

The only way round this is for elite scouting and to stick with one style of playing football to match player profiles with style. I hope with Ange, Munn and Lange we can fix this and finally built a decent squad not just a decent first 11.

ENIC have their finance ways and that isn’t going to change.

More experienced but I don’t think they are better. We looked superb at the start of the season until injuries to key players kicked in

Three new players and less injuries/suspensions and I would back us to go toe to toe.

You dreary man

“You dreary man”

LOL 😝

in the last 4 years, Levy was incompetent, but he certainly wasn’t cheap. He could have saved himself a good £250m if he rebuilt for Poch.

He allowed Jose to ship out Foyth, buy Reguilon, Hojbjerg, Bergwijn, give Dier and Toby contract extensions. Jose spent more net in a pandemic than Poch did in 5 years.

Not to mention Conte. The difference is nothing felt sustainable with those two.

I wish people would let the Kane thing go. He wasn’t committed to us and unlike a Dier, letting him leave on a free, staying in England would have been a disaster. The mistake wasn’t selling Harry Kane in 2023. The mistake was failing to rebuild properly around him since 2019, leading him to losing faith.

Kane doesn’t stop us conceding 4 goals, we can’t press as intensely as we’d wish to if he was here and we’ve scored as many goals as we did at the same stage last season.

Too many people think football works on a 2+2 = 4 basis.

Son and Richy have scored 1 goal between them playing out wide this season, which is where they’d be 100% of the time with Kane still here.

Ange is already at the phase of managing fans expectations of the owners.

This is the best communicator and style of football we have seen at this club since El Tel but we need to face the reality that the non-moving parts of this club in the boardroom aren't winners on the pitch and aren't even that fussed by winning.

Ange will do great things but our owners are never going to push the envelope to help him get there. They have ignored opportunities to do it in the recent past with Poch and even if it looks like there is an opportunity this season, they will ignore it again.

You dreary man

1-11 we probably are as good as anyone but that's doesn't win you the league.

Squads and experience does.

in the last 4 years, Levy was incompetent, but he certainly wasn’t cheap. He could have saved himself a good £250m if he rebuilt for Poch.

He allowed Jose to ship out Foyth, buy Reguilon, Hojbjerg, Bergwijn, give Dier and Toby contract extensions. Jose spent more net in a pandemic than Poch did in 5 years.

Not to mention Conte. The difference is nothing felt sustainable with those two.

I wish people would let the Kane thing go. He wasn’t committed to us and unlike a Dier, letting him leave on a free, staying in England would have been a disaster. The mistake wasn’t selling Harry Kane in 2023. The mistake was failing to rebuild properly around him since 2019, leading him to losing faith.

Kane doesn’t stop us conceding 4 goals, we can’t press as intensely as we’d wish to if he was here and we’ve scored as many goals as we did at the same stage last season.

Too many people think football works on a 2+2 = 4 basis.

Son and Richy have scored 1 goal between them playing out wide this season, which is where they’d be 100% of the time with Kane still here.
The first part of this is very much incorrect.

Levy ended up having to pay quite a bit of money, but his initial thought process was so obviously “Pochettino is crying for a rebuild, but the guy has just got us to a CL final with this squad! They’re clearly good enough and he is faltering with them. If I bring in a serial winner like Jose, we’ll surely win a cup, it will make it look to the fans that I’m showing ambition AND I won’t have to spend to rebuild the squad. It’s a win win win for Daniel.” :levylol:

Of course as sure as night follows day, Levy’s ineptitude when it comes to footballing matters reared it’s ugly head, and his plan backfired spectacularly as Poch was proven right that the squad had fallen into complete disrepair, and even serial winners like Jose and Conte couldn’t get a tune out of them.

In the end you are right, if Levy had rebuilt the squad for Poch it would have saved him a lot of time money and heartache, but his initial refusal to do so was in a devious attempt to save money.

Ange is already at the phase of managing fans expectations of the owners.

This is the best communicator and style of football we have seen at this club since El Tel but we need to face the reality that the non-moving parts of this club in the boardroom aren't winners on the pitch and aren't even that fussed by winning.

Ange will do great things but our owners are never going to push the envelope to help him get there. They have ignored opportunities to do it in the recent past with Poch and even if it looks like there is an opportunity this season, they will ignore it again.

Yep yet you get the same people moaning about it expecting it to be any different. It wont be, accept it because it wont change until they are gone.

Levy ended up having to pay quite a bit of money, but his initial thought process was so obviously “Pochettino is crying for a rebuild, but the guy has just got us to a CL final with this squad! They’re clearly good enough and he is faltering with them. If I bring in a serial winner like Jose, we’ll surely win a cup, it will make it look to the fans that I’m showing ambition AND I won’t have to spend to rebuild the squad. It’s a win win win for Daniel.” :levylol:

Of course as sure as night follows day, Levy’s ineptitude when it comes to footballing matters reared it’s ugly head, and his plan backfired spectacularly as Poch was proven right that the squad had fallen into complete disrepair, and even serial winners like Jose and Conte couldn’t get a tune out of them.

In the end you are right, if Levy had rebuilt the squad for Poch it would have saved him a lot of time money and heartache, but his initial refusal to do so was in a devious attempt to save money.
You’re right to point this out. Sadly for us, he always been Penny wise, Pound foolish.

Absolute revisionism.

He got Jose in and spent more money in his tenure than he did in the whole 5 years of Poch.

Absolute revisionism.

He got Jose in and spent more money in his tenure than he did in the whole 5 years of Poch.
Are you actually serious? You talk about revisionism and you come out with something like that?

I implore you to go through Mourinho’s signings. They were a collection of free transfers, cheap punts, stop gaps and pointless loans.

The only player left at the club from the collection of utter garbage signed in Mourinho’s time is Hojbjerg, who every Spurs fan can’t wait to see the back off.

The core of the team under Mourinho was the exact same one that Pochettino had.

I would go through every Mourinho signing individually to highlight the embarrassing nature of your comment further but I don’t want to waste both of our time.

Indeed if anything , your comment actually just further highlights how utterly shockingly bad Levy treated Pochettino when it came to the Transfer Market.

Please STOP making excuses for our ownership. Period.

Are you actually serious? You talk about revisionism and you come out with something like that?

I implore you to go through Mourinho’s signings. They were a collection of free transfers, cheap punts, stop gaps and pointless loans.

The only player left at the club from the collection of utter garbage signed in Mourinho’s time is Hojbjerg, who every Spurs fan can’t wait to see the back off.

The core of the team under Mourinho was the exact same one that Pochettino had.

I would go through every Mourinho signing individually to highlight the embarrassing nature of your comment further but I don’t want to waste both of our time.

Indeed if anything , your comment actually just further highlights how utterly shockingly bad Levy treated Pochettino when it came to the Transfer Market.

Please STOP making excuses for our ownership. Period.

Mourinho had no money as we spunked it all on Tanguy and to a point Lo Celso. £100m down the drain.

Think the first thing Mourinho was told was there is no money!

Yep yet you get the same people moaning about it expecting it to be any different. It wont be, accept it because it wont change until they are gone.
I agree. Although I certainly don't expect it to change. And until they are gone you'll have the same people moaning about it (me included) and the same people making it their life's mission to defend it.

Back
Top Bottom