Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, not really. They’re still spending more than everyone else.

They have ambition; it’s just directionless.

Anyway. Whatever. I don’t give a fuck about UTD.
Their only spending more because they're revenue is vast, not because of the owners investing.

Imagine Where'd they be if they spent an extra billion on players

Last edited:
Imagine moving into a new shiny stadium but still having the likes of Emerson, Lloris, Davies, Doherty, Dier, Sanchez, Sess etc. playing big roles. These players would be shipped out at clubs like City, Liverpool, and Chelsea within 6 months whilst some have lasted 6 years here

Kim Jung-Hyun Omg GIF by The Swoon

Poch and ENIC

no way they sell anytime soon. They are an investment in real estate company.

Tottenham was one of the cheapest places to buy in London. Unfortunately for us fans, there’s still too much upside in real estate profit to be made. Doesn’t really matter whether we finish 6th or 8th when you are building 100 flats and all your pals are doing the building work, therefore you get a nice kickback at every contract. That’s the long term view from them. Football is just a by-product of the business that allows them to fund their empire!

Get em out

Easily 350m of investment on the squad needed to really compete.

For ENIC Budgets that’s 3 seasons, 2 minimum. Even then they need to get every transfer right.

We aren’t going to be competing anytime soon under this ownership model.

Once upon a time I would have agreed. But I think COVID showed me football does not “need” fans.

It was mentioned on here yesterday about half and half scarves. Football has changed. And FA Cup 3rd round is for kids and general admission since they got rid of cup games on the ST.

The club doesn’t care as much about legacy fans. Their ticket pricing post Wembley proved that.

How much have you spent in the club shop this season? Do you drink in the stadium or in a pub? These things matter to Daniel.
Funny I think COVID showed me that Football does need fans. Everyone hated the games being played in front of empty stadiums.
The FA Cup 3rd round used to be a proper game and get a lot of fans , but you would think if there are all these fans waiting in the wings the stadium will be full.
Yesterday the stadium was full of kids and newbies and still the atmosphere was toxic. It is going to get nastier and nastier if things don't improve.
I agree the Club doesn't care about Legacy Fans and soon there won't be many of us left, but when we are gone the Club will have to compete because a mid table team will not attract the tourists.

I tend not to buy much from the shop , being fat and nearly 60 there is not a lot of appeal for me, but we always get our food / drink in the stadium, I guess you are correct and we should stop giving him our money.

Easily 350m of investment on the squad needed to really compete.

For ENIC Budgets that’s 3 seasons, 2 minimum. Even then they need to get every transfer right.

We aren’t going to be competing anytime soon under this ownership model.
Never going to happen, waste on various long term punts that only a few will deliver.
They fuck everything up.
Our competitors are better run , prepared to take risks and always spend more including wages.
We have no chance.

Without rehashing the arguments on here I'll just quickly add in my two pence worth. A lot of people very unhappy with ENIC/Levy and rightly so as they of course do play a role in all of this. But it's not so simple as the binary some are making out.

Conte - a good manager but not the right fit here. He won't get the money he needs for players and is playing a style that does not suit us at all. Super stubborn and refusal to change from 3-5-2/WB plus a style of play that won't wash with our fans. Like others I pointed out an Eddie Howe type (not necessarily him) would have suited us post-Mourinho.

Levy/ENIC - balanced the books, created great infrastructure and a terrific new stadium. Often finished/fighting for 4th place. It's not all bad. But serious question marks over vision and strategy. Recruitment is of course hard but it's a continual problem for us. Youth players absent. What is the academy up to? Where are the new players coming through? Furthermore JM, Conte, Nuno etc don't appoint themselves. We need to decide what we want to be about. A club that builds from youth/asks for project managers or appoints top class managers who win stuff with huge budgets. I think it's apparent we don't operate in a way that suits the latter type, so why appoint them in the first place? There's no coherent vision or identity on the football side and that is a leadership issue as much as a management one.

Players - Hugo's decline was been much quicker than anticipated but we should have got in a world class understudy a season or two back and bedded this player in. Continued reliance on Dier, Davies etc with new signings like Lenglet that are all OK but aren't top four players. Reliance on cheap punts. We've spent money at times on the wrong players so scouting is an issue.

When all is said and done of the above a plastic match day experience and the general direction of football (sports washing, oil money etc) makes me seriously question how deep my involvement will be going forward, and I know I am not alone here. ST renewal was discussed with several people yesterday. And all of this playing out in the shadow of them challenging for/winning the league leaves a sour taste.

I am saying it's a mix of Conte/ENIC/Levy/players/wider context, but not sure what % I would put on either. Pretty certain it's a combo of factors though.

Without rehashing the arguments on here I'll just quickly add in my two pence worth. A lot of people very unhappy with ENIC/Levy and rightly so as they of course do play a role in all of this. But it's not so simple as the binary some are making out.

Conte - a good manager but not the right fit here. He won't get the money he needs for players and is playing a style that does not suit us at all. Super stubborn and refusal to change from 3-5-2/WB plus a style of play that won't wash with our fans. Like others I pointed out an Eddie Howe type (not necessarily him) would have suited us post-Mourinho.

Levy/ENIC - balanced the books, created great infrastructure and a terrific new stadium. Often finished/fighting for 4th place. It's not all bad. But serious question marks over vision and strategy. Recruitment is of course hard but it's a continual problem for us. Youth players absent. What is the academy up to? Where are the new players coming through? Furthermore JM, Conte, Nuno etc don't appoint themselves. We need to decide what we want to be about. A club that builds from youth/asks for project managers or appoints top class managers who win stuff with huge budgets. I think it's apparent we don't operate in a way that suits the latter type, so why appoint them in the first place? There's no coherent vision or identity on the football side and that is a leadership issue as much as a management one.

Players - Hugo's decline was been much quicker than anticipated but we should have got in a world class understudy a season or two back and bedded this player in. Continued reliance on Dier, Davies etc with new signings like Lenglet that are all OK but aren't top four players. Reliance on cheap punts. We've spent money at times on the wrong players so scouting not an issue.

When all is said and done of the above a plastic match day experience and the general direction of football (sports washing, oil money etc) makes me seriously question how deep my involvement will be going forward, and I know I am not alone here. ST renewal was discussed with several people yesterday. And all of this playing out in the shadow of them challenging for/winning the league leaves a sour taste.

I am saying it's a mix of Conte/ENIC/Levy/players/wider context, but not sure what % I would put on either. Pretty certain it's a combo of factors though.
This is exactly right.

There are lots of contributing factors and most fans are emotional and reductionist. They think if they wave their magic wand then problems will be solved.

This is exactly right.

There are lots of contributing factors and most fans are emotional and reductionist. They think if they wave their magic wand then problems will be solved.
By product of the TalkSport/Sky Sports nonsense that conditions fans into seeing simple explanations for complex problems and swallow the narratives around modern football.

Might switch down to a membership, take in 4-5 league games a season and a few more local league games.

Why do people get so hung up about the naming rights?

Because you moron it means you have a 300m lump sum to spend on players.

You have a guaranteed 30m a year with a signed contract you take to the bank and borrow at 1.1% interest.......

Oh.. Well done Teflon you genius that's not 1.1% anymore.

But either way that's what it means genius. A massive amount of money to spend on the squad. For free

Players - Hugo's decline was been much quicker than anticipated but we should have got in a world class understudy a season or two back and bedded this player in. Continued reliance on Dier, Davies etc with new signings like Lenglet that are all OK but aren't top four players. Reliance on cheap punts. We've spent money at times on the wrong players so scouting is an issue.

I thought Conte usually plays with a 343 not 532.

You have a guaranteed 30m a year with a signed contract you take to the bank and borrow at 1.1% interest.......

But either way that's what it means genius. A massive amount of money to spend on the squad. For free
I am no fan of Levy or ENIC. I've made that clear. I am also no business expert.

However;

I have wondered if keeping the stadium named as 'The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium', for a fixed period of say five years, may help to raise the profile of THFC in the U.S. and around the world, when events such as NFL, boxing, concerts or anything else are held there.

Is it not a free advertisement for the club or would it be better in every way to sell the naming rites as soon as possible?

This is a serious question based on my ignorance on these matters.

I can't believe Levy would miss any chance to make as much money as possible, in any situation, based on my experience as one of his customers at WHL for 7 seasons,

Is it not a free advertisement for the club

"That Taylor Swift concert was amazing. I loved it. Where was it held again, The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium? I think I'll buy a season ticket for £3,000 ":romeroshock:

I really don't understand how people think "Free advertisement" translates to money in your pocket. Are people going to become Tottenham fans because they heard the name when watching an NFL game? And if they do become Tottenham fans, that doesn't automatically translate to buying merchandise or tickets. How much of this do you have to sell to make £40mil?

This is like watching your favourite boxer get demolished and saying, "It's part of the game plan, he's trying to tire his opponent out". It is so poor that we're now playing 4D chess just to think of excuses.

Fair points but why hire a manager that you know his way of operating is nothing like our apparent approach? Well, we all know why because of the clusterfuck of hiring Nuno after spouting gibberish in his chairman’s letter. It was sheer panic. You’d have to be pretty naive not to know how Conte is as a manager.

As Expression ( think that’s his name) said “ Conte does not cook , he buys ready meals”

It was always going to end in failure unless ENIC changed their strategy, which is doubtful . The hiring of managers , players never seems to have a direction , one minute we’re trying to be Dortmund light , the next getting in , hiring big , successful managers who have a set vision of who he wants regardless of cost

Apologies if I’m wrong here, but weren’t you ripping fuck out of us for being in debt just yesterday? And you hate it so much you want to build more debt?

Again, if it wasn’t you, my apologies.

Fair points but why hire a manager that you know his way of operating is nothing like our apparent approach? Well, we all know why because of the clusterfuck of hiring Nuno after spouting gibberish in his chairman’s letter. It was sheer panic. You’d have to be pretty naive not to know how Conte is as a manager.

As Expression ( think that’s his name) said “ Conte does not cook , he buys ready meals”

It was always going to end in failure unless ENIC changed their strategy, which is doubtful . The hiring of managers , players never seems to have a direction , one minute we’re trying to be Dortmund light , the next getting in , hiring big , successful managers who have a set vision of who he wants regardless of cost
Have ENIC not changed? Last January was a strong window. When did we last have one of those? We spent big in the summer too. On shite on the whole, but still big. Again, how often have we seen that in the past?

Maybe when they said we’d spend when the time was right wasn’t bullshit all along. Maybe they are willing to pony up the cash. This window and next will tell.

"That Taylor Swift concert was amazing. I loved it. Where was it held again, The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium? I think I'll buy a season ticket for £3,000 ":romeroshock:

I really don't understand how people think "Free advertisement" translates to money in your pocket. Are people going to become Tottenham fans because they heard the name when watching an NFL game? And if they do become Tottenham fans, that doesn't automatically translate to buying merchandise or tickets. How much of this do you have to sell to make £40mil?

This is like watching your favourite boxer get demolished and saying, "It's part of the game plan, he's trying to tire his opponent out". It is so poor that we're now playing 4D chess just to think of excuses.
I'm definitely not making excuses.

I want to be educated as to why it is Levy hasn't sold the rights.

I've read some people suggesting that ENIC have done incredibly well raising the profile of the club in the U.S. and around the world.

I'm ignorant regarding these matters and want to know if there is any substance to these anecdotal suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom