Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kate Winslet Crying GIF by The Academy Awards
Ha! Thanks Stevee! - support appreciated but I think I'm going to be heavily outvoted on this one.....

Ha! Thanks Stevee! - support appreciated but I think I'm going to be heavily outvoted on this one.....
You will be yeah.

Unfortunately you're not allowed to say anything, even remotely, approving of Levy. If you do you are a cuck, Levy lover, support Levy over the club and a cultist.
Even if you criticise Levy in the very same post you'll be labelled all of the above.

The #1 goal for our ownership every single season is to get top 4 while spending the least amount possible.

That's it. That's the ambition.

yep and the worse thing is, they actually put us on this pedestal as an elite club, yet spend lemonade money. I just wish abramovich took us over all those years ago. A brilliant chairman that is hell bent on success every single season. Backs his managers in the market. He might fire them quickly, but look at their success ?

You will be yeah.

Unfortunately you're not allowed to say anything, even remotely, approving of Levy. If you do you are a cuck, Levy lover, support Levy over the club and a cultist.
Even if you criticise Levy in the very same post you'll be labelled all of the above.

That is BS.

You can't come in and make BS excuses for him or you will rightfully be called out. That is the problem the excuses and apologist spin.

That is BS.

You can't come in and make BS excuses for him or you will rightfully be called out. That is the problem the excuses and apologist spin.
Walob.

You can come in here and make up BS to criticise him and that's ok though.
When someone calls out the BS they get slated.
People confuse calling out the BS posted re Levy as supporting him.

AberdeenYid AberdeenYid voted "Levy out" but because he, rightly, highlighted some of the things he did well, he got vilified.

I’m not as mad about not getting Conte as I am that Levy entertained this for a week while leaking how well it was going.

It was so fucking obvious that Levy and Conte were going to be like oil and water. So what game is Levy playing? He’s a total starfucker, wants to be seen paling around with the likes of Mourinho and Conte for the clout even when he can’t or won’t cede the level of autonomy/cash they demand.

If you can’t match City, Chelsea, United, Madrid, Barca etc. for cash, then run your club intelligently and sustainably like Dortmund. That’s why we never got a proper apology for the ESL because it was such a boon to Levy’s ego to be at the table. He fucking loved it.

But if ENIC aren’t willing to put up the cash to compete at the top end, then they need to embrace strategies to compete differently and intelligently like Dortmund do with buying and embracing young players. We did that at the beginning with Pochettino but then apparently just said fuck it. Everything is just done so ad hoc, there’s no guiding strategy or vision because Levy thinks he’s a big man of world football.

Last edited:
I'll try to answer your questions John.

I treat him with respect because, as many others have said many times, under his stewardship we have risen from a mid-table low-income team to a top 4 PL and CL final team with the world's best facilities and stadium. And he's worked 14 hour days 6x a week to get us there. I don't know which bit of that you find hard to understand.

I think we have more agreement with each other on the rest of your post....

No, I don't like the ticket prices and in fact I jacked my season ticket in last year partly because I didn't;t think the price was fair and partly because I couldn't stomach watching my team defend a 1-0 lead in every game under a dinosaur of a manager (who was brought in, by the way, mainly to satisfy the "must win trophies" supporter).

The ticket prices are high, obviously to pay for the new stadium.

I think the club is way too commercial and I think we the fans are ripped off, but I think that's usually because modern football is a broken commercial enterprise blah blah middle-aged man blah blah. Footballers earning £200k a week who don't try and aren't even very good. I won't go on.

Oh and he doesn't actually 'treat fans with contempt', I've seen him treat fans he meets only with respect (even although some of the plonkers on here do actually deserve contempt). What he does do is try to run the club as a commercial business because we are not owned by oil sheiks or Russian Oligarchs, which is fine by me.....

Now, having said all that at the top, I would indeed rather watch a team of 20 English lads, raised in our Academy, who died for the badge every weekend and played good attacking football - as long as they gave their best I wouldn't care if we came 1st or 10th because they were 'my' lads playing for 'my' club. I realise in this respect I am wholly old-fashioned and unusual and I should probably stop supporting Spurs but after 50 years I can't. [It's also why I find the abuse that Winks or Mason get on here so utterly appalling].

Btw, all those posters disagreeing with my original post, what are you disagreeing with? that Levy knows the club 100x better than you? or that he cares 10x more than you?
Your post is reasoned and much I can agree with. So hands up. I gave a disagree, but would say it’s only half a disagree :)

So where I do disagree is the points about Levy. There are assumptions about how hard he worked. Well he’s the Chairman on x millions a year, hard work could be argued to be part of the deal or it can equally be argued that he should delegate more. I don’t think it can be praise worthy either way. I’d be more than happy to work 14 hours a day at Spurs for millions of pounds a year. But then who knows it’s 14 hours a day 6 days a week? should it not be 24 hours a day and 7 days a week ?

None of us know how hard Levy worked, but he firstly never did it all alone and secondly, his micro managing approach has been noted by too many people I personally know who have done business with the guy for it to be a positive thing.

That he has been respectful to fans is a minimum requirement. Not a virtue. That he made some horrific decisions and has not once been held accountable for them is frustrating as hell. I don’t hate the fella, I don’t know him, but he’s not doing all of us a favour.

Remember his era started with Graham in charge. I think it would not take much to find an example of something every couple of years since that is, in the interests of the football team, absolutely inexplicable.

Excuse me if I am reading it wrong but it seems some of your defence of Levy is partly built on little old Spurs (my words) being dragged up to few level by Danny boy and that we should be grateful for that. If that is how you feel, fair enough but I do not think history supports that

This is Tottenham. When Levy took over we were the 4th most successful football club in England’s history. Yeah I agree our performances were not matching that historic status but we were not Barnsley when he arrived.

I absolutely hate a lot of the memories of Graham’s period, but I am not deluded. I realise that when Sugar appointed Graham he was a huge statement appointment. Aside from Fergie there was no bigger appointment possible at that stage. We were not happy because he was Woolwich. Not because he was shit at his job. He was never shit at his job.

While Graham never got Spurs to break through in the league, he did win a trophy and who knows what would have happened if he was not weirdly sacked (while unwell if I remember? ) ahead of a massive game.

Following Graham the recruitment of Hoddle was not because Glenn was doing us a favour. It was because Tottenham was a massive step up on Southampton, Tottenham got Hoddle as the clubs was big enough to get him. Now despite ENIC we are led to believe we can’t get Rodgers because he sees Leicester as a bigger job. Do me a favour.

Then roll on to when Glenn was given trash money and then sacked, the landscape had been set. Unreasonable levels of backing for success.

And following Glenn the answer was Pleat and for how long ? (Just a little too similar to Tactics Tim and Mase for my liking)

So all I see from Levy is the same con trick this year all over again. Pleading poverty, dodging investment, avoiding actually engaging with people to explain what the fucking hell is actually going on. Best I can see Spurs can’t get a coach at all now 24 months after a Champions League final. How is that praise worthy ? And if you cannot afford to compete because you are in so much debt what is the point of that ? Might as well close down and open up the Tottenham Hotspur museum. And if you want to see 11 local lads running about pop down the park League, I totally get your point mate, but we were never about that historically speaking. And that’s why we used to win.

Your post is reasoned and much I can agree with. So hands up. I gave a disagree, but would say it’s only half a disagree :)

So where I do disagree is the points about Levy. There are assumptions about how hard he worked. Well he’s the Chairman on x millions a year, hard work could be argued to be part of the deal or it can equally be argued that he should delegate more. I don’t think it can be praise worthy either way. I’d be more than happy to work 14 hours a day at Spurs for millions of pounds a year. But then who knows it’s 14 hours a day 6 days a week? should it not be 24 hours a day and 7 days a week ?

None of us know how hard Levy worked, but he firstly never did it all alone and secondly, his micro managing approach has been noted by too many people I personally know who have done business with the guy for it to be a positive thing.

That he has been respectful to fans is a minimum requirement. Not a virtue. That he made some horrific decisions and has not once been held accountable for them is frustrating as hell. I don’t hate the fella, I don’t know him, but he’s not doing all of us a favour.

Remember his era started with Graham in charge. I think it would not take much to find an example of something every couple of years since that is, in the interests of the football team, absolutely inexplicable.

Excuse me if I am reading it wrong but it seems some of your defence of Levy is partly built on little old Spurs (my words) being dragged up to few level by Danny boy and that we should be grateful for that. If that is how you feel, fair enough but I do not think history supports that

This is Tottenham. When Levy took over we were the 4th most successful football club in England’s history. Yeah I agree our performances were not matching that historic status but we were not Barnsley when he arrived.

I absolutely hate a lot of the memories of Graham’s period, but I am not deluded. I realise that when Sugar appointed Graham he was a huge statement appointment. Aside from Fergie there was no bigger appointment possible at that stage. We were not happy because he was Woolwich. Not because he was shit at his job. He was never shit at his job.

While Graham never got Spurs to break through in the league, he did win a trophy and who knows what would have happened if he was not weirdly sacked (while unwell if I remember? ) ahead of a massive game.

Following Graham the recruitment of Hoddle was not because Glenn was doing us a favour. It was because Tottenham was a massive step up on Southampton, Tottenham got Hoddle as the clubs was big enough to get him. Now despite ENIC we are led to believe we can’t get Rodgers because he sees Leicester as a bigger job. Do me a favour.

Then roll on to when Glenn was given trash money and then sacked, the landscape had been set. Unreasonable levels of backing for success.

And following Glenn the answer was Pleat and for how long ? (Just a little too similar to Tactics Tim and Mase for my liking)

So all I see from Levy is the same con trick this year all over again. Pleading poverty, dodging investment, avoiding actually engaging with people to explain what the fucking hell is actually going on. Best I can see Spurs can’t get a coach at all now 24 months after a Champions League final. How is that praise worthy ? And if you cannot afford to compete because you are in so much debt what is the point of that ? Might as well close down and open up the Tottenham Hotspur museum. And if you want to see 11 local lads running about pop down the park League, I totally get your point mate, but we were never about that historically speaking. And that’s why we used to win.
f30d5a9391a22674eef41f40f314e6cf06acf4a7.gifv

Decent reply - appreciated.
And I do pop down the park - or in my case my local non-league club - but they all dive and cheat just like they see on the telly, only with less skill; and they're not Spurs.

No, what I want to see is 11 British lads (absolutely irrespective or race, creed, colour or sexuality) play attacking football that become international superstars and win the PL and all play for England. I don't want mediocrity I'm just sick of watching foreign mercenaries trot about wearing the shirt but not giving a fuck about the badge.

In other words, I prefer supporting Danny Rose, Eric Dier and Harry Winks to Lo Celso & N'Dombele. And I want to see Parrott and Skipp and the rest come through. On the other hand, I've loved Hugo, Toby, Jan & even EricL, so I'm not very consistent.

he's worked 14 hour days 6x a week to get us there.

I think the club is way too commercial and I think we the fans are ripped off

Levy knows the club 100x better than you? or that he cares 10x more than you?
All respect in the world for supporting your club through thick and thin over decades, but the thing I think you're missing is how intimately connected these things are.

Levy has given his life's work, his blood, sweat and tears to the commercialization of football in general and Spurs specifically. He has tirelessly toiled over severing those links to the traditions and the values you admired from the day he took over the club.

And we'd have a full trophy cabinet to show for it if only having those trophies meant enough to him to dare to operate the club the way every other club in the league and at our level in Europe operates.

He who takes all the power bears all the responsibility, and football is measured in titles, something ENIC brought us closer to, for a time, but are now pulling us further away from. The project has run its course and become self-destructive.

And I do pop down the park - or in my case my local non-league club - but they all dive and cheat just like they see on the telly, only with less skill; and they're not Spurs.

No, what I want to see is 11 British lads (absolutely irrespective or race, creed, colour or sexuality) play attacking football that become international superstars and win the PL and all play for England. I don't want mediocrity I'm just sick of watching foreign mercenaries trot about wearing the shirt but not giving a fuck about the badge.

In other words, I prefer supporting Danny Rose, Eric Dier and Harry Winks to Lo Celso & N'Dombele. And I want to see Parrott and Skipp and the rest come through. On the other hand, I've loved Hugo, Toby, Jan & even EricL, so I'm not very consistent.
Honestly, buy a Peterborough season ticket. The English pyramid needs more people who think like you. Doesn't mean you would be supporting Spurs any less.

All respect in the world for supporting your club through thick and thin over decades, but the thing I think you're missing is how intimately connected these things are.

Levy has given his life's work, his blood, sweat and tears to the commercialization of football in general and Spurs specifically. He has tirelessly toiled over severing those links to the traditions and the values you admired from the day he took over the club.

And we'd have a full trophy cabinet to show for it if only having those trophies meant enough to him to dare to operate the club the way every other club in the league and at our level in Europe operates.

He who takes all the power bears all the responsibility, and football is measured in titles, something ENIC brought us closer to, for a time, but are now pulling us further away from. The project has run its course and become self-destructive.
That, actually, is a pretty fair assessment.
Especially the last paragraph.

Consistency is over rated. Some of our best times have involved big import buys rather than academy products and that’s ok, because when it works it works. It’s when it goes wrong and you get N’Dombele and Lo Celso is when you smash your head against the wall for some light relief

No mate, football is not measured in trophies. Just like life is not measured in money. If you (not you personally, no offence intended) want titles go support Man City etc.

It's why I despair of the pressure put on Kane - the world's telling him he 'needs to go to Man City to win things'. He doesn't; he needs to try his best, be a good footballer, be an inspiration, stay with his boyhood club, captain his country, be a legend.

Football is about fans, emotions, failure and success, skill, artistry, clubs with atmosphere. It's not about titles. When I sat as a ST holder in the NWHL I was surrounded by people who either didn't know what they were watching or were screaming vile abuse at players on their own team for making a mistake. I know, I'm an old man, it's not my game any more. I'm way off-topic here, sorry folks.

None of this is Levy's fault.

You will be yeah.

20 years 1 poxy league cup and the constant presence in that abject failure is Levy, Lewis and Enic. It's been a fucking disastrous tenure and before you go on about what these pricks have done for us remember virtually every other chairman/company that have been in charge of spurs have won more in a lot less time and havent fleeced the fans like levy has.

I support Tottenham Hotspur FC and the last decent trophy was 1991 under Alan Sugar FFS. I dont support Levy, Lewis or Enic

I couldn't give a shit about the new shiny stadium, it's no good if the team that play in it are shite.

Every season it's the same (apart from lucking out with Poch) - win nothing sell the best players, pretend to go for world class players/managers fuck up and penny pinch the aledged deal and then tell the fans they tried. We end up with has been like Saha and fucking neilson - cheap options. They never backed Pochettino when we desperately needed it and look at where we are now.

They dont care and I cannot understand anyone who gives them any credit for the footballing side of things.

Back
Top Bottom