Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Does it help being owned by a country or a Russian oligarch? Sure, but ManU, woolwich, Leicester, and Liverpool aren't state owned and combined they have won the PL 6 times, CL twice, EL once, six league cups, and six FA cups since we last won our league cup.

We haven't won a trophy in almost 15 years now. I don't think we're in any danger of being bored of winning anytime soon.
I don't know how, anyone claims that, our success under them is acceptable when you consider the resources we have.
Our club, could do far better on the financial front, but for reasons known to them they don't want to push on.

Levy is right that winning stuff is hard , that’s why teams have plans & projects set into their transfer policy & team structure ,( Brighton are flavour of the month regarding players but they also did get a replacement manager who was able to continue their philosophy .)
You can do this with either , shit loads of cash or people who are very good at their jobs , be that finding youth for the long term or gems in the transfer market we clearly haven't had that , maybe with our current DoF but who knows what’s going to happen to him. As for our team philosophy, it flips flops with every managerial sacking which you can only conclude is down to no planning

Maybe if we called the philosophy for football “ planning permission “ Levy may get excited about it cause at the moment it seems that the owner’s complacency is fucking up the footballing side of THFC .

It’s only going to get worse if they maintain this as the team is in urgent need of surgery now & this should have been addressed a long time ago.

The post regarding the same back three against Colchester is shocking
Our transfer policy is definitely like planning permission, seeing as it takes as long to get anything done.

Levy is right that winning stuff is hard , that’s why teams have plans & projects set into their transfer policy & team structure ,( Brighton are flavour of the month regarding players but they also did get a replacement manager who was able to continue their philosophy .)
You can do this with either , shit loads of cash or people who are very good at their jobs , be that finding youth for the long term or gems in the transfer market we clearly haven't had that , maybe with our current DoF but who knows what’s going to happen to him. As for our team philosophy, it flips flops with every managerial sacking which you can only conclude is down to no planning

Maybe if we called the philosophy for football “ planning permission “ Levy may get excited about it cause at the moment it seems that the owner’s complacency is fucking up the footballing side of THFC .

It’s only going to get worse if they maintain this as the team is in urgent need of surgery now & this should have been addressed a long time ago.

:levylol:

Thing is, since Levy stepped away from the football side a bit more and Paratici came in, there has been more planning and better scouting.

Paratici has Levy's ear more than any that came before him I think. But then Levy still does a documentary all about him just to let everyone know who is in control and what we should all expect.

Just a bit of a prize bell end.

It's hard but Leicester have done it twice. We had better teams than them for a longer time, we had ample opportunities. I really don't know how any supporter can be ok with one trophy in 23 years.

Thing is, since Levy stepped away from the football side a bit more and Paratici came in, there has been more planning and better scouting.

Paratici has Levy's ear more than any that came before him I think. But then Levy still does a documentary all about him just to let everyone know who is in control and what we should all expect.

I think it's more of the same, I don't see that any planning or much scouting went into buying Royale, Lenglet, Danjuma, Spence, Gil.

I don't know how, anyone claims that, our success under them is acceptable when you consider the resources we have.
Our club, could do far better on the financial front, but for reasons known to them they don't want to push on.
I think it’s risk free & that’s what ENIC approach is . Being placed 2-8 and a few cup runs to appease the fans . Bar the CL there’s no real money in cups but they forget than fans like shiny things, we’ve kind of been brainwashed that qualifying for the CL is a trophy in itself, of course it isn’t but it’s a nice lil earner

I think it's more of the same, I don't see that any planning or much scouting went into buying Royale, Lenglet, Danjuma, Spence, Gil.
I’d wager that they are punts & our punts generally fail.

Raquel Welch
Raquel Welch Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

My personal opinion, I've always accepted that Levy is far from perfect but being born in 91 and growing up around United, Chelsea and Woolwich fans there has always been an increased pride for me in winning those big games from doing things the right way.
"Doing things the right way"?
Like investing in infrastructure and real estate instead of the football team?

Chelsea aside, in what way were the other two you mention doing it the wrong way when they bagged all their trophies?

"Doing things the right way"?
Like investing in infrastructure and real estate instead of the football team?

Chelsea aside, in what way were the other two you mention doing it the wrong way when they bagged all their trophies?
Perhaps their owners cheated by investing properly in the team, as for the teams, well they cheated too, in winning more games instead of bottling, now that's a new one for our board.

I used to browse this forum a lot but stopped a while back because of the relentless negativity/vitriol so fair play on being one of the first from the ENIC out lot to take a rational approach to the argument.

My personal opinion, I've always accepted that Levy is far from perfect but being born in 91 and growing up around United, Chelsea and Woolwich fans there has always been an increased pride for me in winning those big games from doing things the right way. Of course, if we want to win the league it is unlikely without state owned money but I can't imagine how there is anything exciting about being a City fan these days for example. You're expected to win it every year because you have a squad of £50-100m players. I could play football manager and do that if I really wanted.

I just think it's laughable that many of those on the other side of the argument take things to such an extreme. Worst owners in football, chairman that never spends money (then when the figures are shown counters the claim with how the money is spent but wasted), everything on the pitch being Levy's fault, every successful manager being a lucky appointment while every unsuccessful one being down to him. All bad transfers are his fault, countless semi-finals and finals bottled, must be his fault too.

I agree there's a lot he could do better but I can't see how the argument will ever be won with such extremes. If people truly think we're in a bad position as a club relative to 20 years ago, trophy haul aside, then there is no hope.

Out of all of the things you could criticise Levy for, this is a weird one and seems very insignificant. He presides over a multi-billion pound operation of which he owns a considerable share. As ENIC are an investment company, they benefit from us being successful on the pitch and the growing of the brand as a result. The £40m he has taken in the past 13 years is a fraction of what revenue has increased by under his stewardship.

In terms of the argument against how boring it must be to follow a team that win by default, I would hazard a guess that if we asked Chelsea, man utd, or Man City fans if they wished they supported spurs and they'd probably laugh out loud and think it was a joke.

On the flip side, I wouldn't mind having been born on the blue side of Manchester to enjoy the quality they've had on show every week.

In terms of the argument against how boring it must be to follow a team that win by default, I would hazard a guess that if we asked Chelsea, man utd, or Man City fans if they wished they supported spurs and they'd probably laugh out loud and think it was a joke.

On the flip side, I wouldn't mind having been born on the blue side of Manchester to enjoy the quality they've had on show every week.
I thought the "doing it the right way" bullshit had finally been put to bed with His attempt to abandon 140 years of history and join the European money league in cahoots with all those clubs doing it the wrong way

First time it's surfaced for a while :sonhmm:

I just think it's laughable that many of those on the other side of the argument take things to such an extreme. Worst owners in football, chairman that never spends money (then when the figures are shown counters the claim with how the money is spent but wasted), everything on the pitch being Levy's fault, every successful manager being a lucky appointment while every unsuccessful one being down to him. All bad transfers are his fault, countless semi-finals and finals bottled, must be his fault too.
Because when you have a negative mindset, all that gets posted is negative crap.

You're absolutely correct in what you say.

The board only get blamed for bad things that happen to this club, none of the good.

It wouldn't surprise me, if we were to lose tonight, that they'll be posting on here later how it's the boards fault we're starting with Skipp and Sarr in CM for a last 16 Champions League match. Not unfortunate injuries or suspensions but Daniel Levy's fault.

Is bit Latin for massive?

Last edited:
Yep this is a great point.

I've also been considering diverting my money and attention towards a championship team competing for playoffs. Some kind of excitement to be felt that isn't the standard fight for top four routine.

I'm even enjoying following Wrexham more than spurs at this point...its an odd zone to be in
I was at Wrexham on Saturday following Wealdstone, I'm going to see the stones play at Chesterfield next week.

Back
Top Bottom