Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

At least that’s an actual quote from the man himself saying that we want to win. Should get rid of all the “they are only in it for the money” stuff.
He's hardly gonna come right out and say that he ain't arsed if we win a trophy or not

FWIW I don't doubt he'd be delighted were we to win a trophy or two

But it's not his primary focus , surely that's clear to see

Watched the BT Sport program earlier. It's pretty much exclusively about the stadium so maybe not loads we don't already know. Levy clearly sees it as his baby and to be fair it was an extraordinary achievement. There's also a mention of projects still to come - flats and a hotel but also some other stuff that he said he can't mention but which will reveal itself over the next 12-14 months.

There's a nod to a lack of winning trophies but I got the impression he doesn't see this as the failure many of us do. He also talked about being in europe 17 times in the last 18 years or something like that.

It confirms what many on here are saying - good commercial business man, poor football decision maker who is quick to emphasise his successes (stadium, euro footy) and downplay his failures (trophies).

It's incredibly frustrating.

Nothing in it to get wound up about though. It is a programme about the stadium (the clue is in the title) not about the team. Difficult for people to make the distinction I know, but honestly, people should be able to by now. I want to know more what they are doing around the stadium because I believe that is key to them selling up.

People moan we don't hear anything from the man, then when a programme comes out they call it a Levy PR piece. I actually wish he'd do more tv interviews.

I think it is obvious though that he took his eye massively off the ball while undertaking the stadium and he should just leave football operations to others. You can see he is a control freak though and just won't be able to do that. The programme told us that (which we already knew).

He's hardly gonna come right out and say that he ain't arsed if we win a trophy or not

Definitely wasn't before, i think it is now though.

But years of mis-management and under-investment has caused the current situation which we are in.

Nothing in it to get wound up about though. It is a programme about the stadium (the clue is in the title) not about the team. Difficult for people to make the distinction I know, but honestly, people should be able to by now. I want to know more what they are doing around the stadium because I believe that is key to them selling up.

People moan we don't hear anything from the man, then when a programme comes out they call it a Levy PR piece. I actually wish he'd do more tv interviews.

I think it is obvious though that he took his eye massively off the ball while undertaking the stadium and he should just leave football operations to others. You can see he is a control freak though and just won't be able to do that. The programme told us that (which we already knew).
Your last paragraph is the bit I find frustrating because his business brain is brilliant but his football brain is pea sized in comparison and it's holding us back.

I never said the programme wound me up, I merely described it.

Just going off what he actually said, not the opinions of posters on a forum.

I’ve absolutely no doubt they want as much as possible for the club when they sell, but they’ll get more money the more successful we are on the pitch. The biggest club values right now are Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool and Man City, the most successful clubs.

I’ve no issue with you thinking what you think, however. Each to his own.

You can't persuade a single ENIC in supporter. Arguments won't change anybody's minds on this topic.

The only thing that will change people's minds is the results getting worse. We're not shit enough to get people out there or to turn the people on here who are very pro-ENIC against them.

So may as well just call them ENIC cucks and have a laugh.
LOL!

Yeah whereas I've found the ENIC outers very open to discourse and having their minds changed! :dembelelol:

Your last paragraph is the bit I find frustrating because his business brain is brilliant but his football brain is pea sized in comparison and it's holding us back.

I never said the programme wound me up, I merely described it.
Yeah just look at the stadium naming rights deal OOPS
The new shirt sponsorship deal with South Africa , OOPS
The way he got a cheap deal in 24 hours ripping Lisbon a new one for Porro , OOPS

There are plenty of own goals as well as wins on the business side , I think his acumen in this sphere is massively overrated.

I think all of this can be boiled down pretty quickly into our fan base having low expectations and a low bar for us as a club. Maybe its conditioning over a long period of time, the Sugar years etc.

It's hard to argue that for most top 4 seems to be enough.

I'll freely admit it was enough for me when I thought I could see us constantly improving if only by tiny increment at times.

But it was clear we needed a rebuild a while back now, before Poch infamously asked for one. No fan would argue against this. There is so much deadwood at the club and so many players who are regular or semi-regular starters that should no longer be at the club.

When we stood still and then started showing clear signs of regression is when I became ENIC out.

It's when I woke up to their model of put the bare minimum in and just get top 4. Everything else is clearly a bonus.

The fact is, If any other so called big 6 team went as long as we have without a trophy their fan base would be out protesting in big numbers.

Ours couldn't be arsed, maybe it was too cold for them, or they were embarrassed to show support, I really don't know.

I think the undercurrent of discontent is growing, the seed is there. If worst case scenarios pan out this season and we win nothing, don't win top 4 etc., Kane doesn't sign and has to be sold,Then I can see it getting ugly.

But then I think people should be seeing the way the wind is blowing and getting ugly already. Which is my main point.
Low expectations is very harsh mate

at the same time, only one team can win the league and no fanbase should "expect to"

I appreciate you're not saying that. I'm just saying that since ENIC have come in it's gone from CL football being a dream to us expecting CL football.

Yeah just look at the stadium naming rights deal OOPS
The new shirt sponsorship deal with South Africa , OOPS
The way he got a cheap deal in 24 hours ripping Lisbon a new one for Porro , OOPS

There are plenty of own goals as well as wins on the business side , I think his acumen in this sphere is massively overrated.
Possibly. I should've stipulated around the stadium as that's more what I meant.

I didn’t say ENIC out were any different .. just that ENIC in wont be convinced. Only results going either way will convince the other side.
This is where I think the “sides” differ.

I’m ok with how things are going right now, but I know I’ll be tipped over to not being ok if we have a shite window and a bad start to next season.

If, however, we make some great signings and win the title next season, there’s a few on the out side that will put it down to luck and still won’t change their stance.

I’m ok with how things are going right now, but I know I’ll be tipped over to not being ok if we have a shite window and a bad start to next season.

If, however, we make some great signings and win the title next season, there’s a few on the out side that will put it down to luck and still won’t change their stance.
One league title in 23 years! Doesn’t make up for two decades of mismanagement!

On the plus side, we wouldn’t see John Thomas John Thomas for a while.

If we suddenly started winning leagues/major trophies I’d very happily hold my hands up and say they’ve got it right. I think most apart from maybe a few of the real hardcore lot would do the same.

If we suddenly started winning leagues/major trophies I’d very happily hold my hands up and say they’ve got it right. I think most apart from maybe a few of the real hardcore lot would do the same.
Wasn’t a dig at you. You know I’m more direct than that! We all know those I’m talking about. The prime example of what I’m saying being our managerial hires:

Conte - lucky
Nuno - shit appointment
Jose - shit appointment
Poch - lucky
Etc

Wasn’t a dig at you. You know I’m more direct than that! We all know those I’m talking about. The prime example of what I’m saying being our managerial hires:

Conte - lucky
Nuno - shit appointment
Jose - shit appointment
Poch - lucky
Etc
Poch hiring was lucky and it wouldn’t have happened if the main manager target didn’t reject Spurs. Jose was interesting on paper, but turned out bad. Nuno obviously dogshit appointment and what’s worse is that it came after months of stumbling around. Conte is a good appointment, however it’s been reported that Paratici’s had a greater influence on his decision than Levy.

Poch hiring was lucky and it wouldn’t have happened if the main manager target didn’t reject Spurs. Jose was interesting on paper, but turned out bad. Nuno obviously dogshit appointment and what’s worse is that it came after months of stumbling around. Conte is a good appointment, however it’s been reported that Paratici’s had a greater influence on his decision than Levy.
I appreciate you proving my point. And additionally saying that everyone wanted Levy to move further from football decisions these days, which he has done.

Back
Top Bottom