Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It amazes me how many people are interested in purchasing Chelsea for the price they are asking in such a short time. I'm sure our club would have a lot of intrest also. You would think after all this time if levey and Co don't want to spend big to compete why they don't just sell up.

Chelsea will make any new owner a fat sum of money, that's why.
Sure, it'll cost a lot up front, but over 20 years it'll pay itself back with massive interest. That's what happens when clubs are successful.

Last edited:
It amazesme how many people are interested in purchasing Chelsea for the price they are asking in such a short time. I'm sure our club would have a lot of intrest also. You would think after all this time if levey and Co don't want to spend big to compete why they don't just sell up.

You know exactly why.

Don’t you?????

mr-mc-mahon-ggez-moneh-mrmcmahon.gif

Can’t wait for the wall of noise on Sunday

🎶 we’ve got NFL, we’ve got a skywalk, Longest bar and biggest megastore, you’ll never sing that 🎶

We know what we are
We know what we areeeeeeeeeeeeee
A financially well run club with absolutely no danger of doing what Leeds did almost 20 fucking years ago despite the world changing

Chelsea will probably get bought by someone even richer and more ambitious than the warmonger.
Only if the Saudis buy in.

If it's an individual they're a fucked, it at least fucked in the sense that they won't be propped up and will have to cut back on spending.

Point still stands though, until they are sold they are in danger of doing a Leeds.

Only if the Saudis buy in.

If it's an individual they're a fucked, it at least fucked in the sense that they won't be propped up and will have to cut back on spending.

Point still stands though, until they are sold they are in danger of doing a Leeds.

They make a fortune. This idea they'll go back to the 90's Ken Bates days is pure fantasy.
I suspect most potential buyers will take a leaf out of Levy's book and try and leave it late to force the price down. Unlike Levy in the transfer market, this tactic will work.

They make a fortune. This idea they'll go back to the 90's Ken Bates days is pure fantasy.
I suspect most potential buyers will take a leaf out of Levy's book and try and leave it late to force the price down. Unlike Levy in the transfer market, this tactic will work.
They don't make a fortune though. That's why RA has to continuously pump money in and why they wanted to build a new stadium.
Their current one is too small and will cost about 2bn to rebuild.
They won't go back to ore 90s days but neither will they be able to buy the trophies they have been.

Anyways, I'll leave it there.
Wrong thread and it's all been said before in the appropriate threads.

:tanguythumb:

Matt, Matt, Matt…. They make more than us but that’s fully consumed on wages and transfer fees. They LOSE about 75m per season, every season and that’s with CL. That falls away and they doing a Leeds

They don't make a fortune though. That's why RA has to continuously pump money in and why they wanted to build a new stadium.
Their current one is too small and will cost about 2bn to rebuild.
They won't go back to ore 90s days but neither will they be able to buy the trophies they have been.

Anyways, I'll leave it there.
Wrong thread and it's all been said before in the appropriate threads.

:tanguythumb:
They're in the champions league most season and win it occasionally. They win titles. They win cups. They have a world wide fan base. They have a large pull for sponsorship.
They, and for that matter, no one needs a massive stadium with the associated debt.
The idea that all of their success every year has been purely down to RA pumping money in is wrong.
He initially dumped huge sums in, having purchased the club cheaply. That initial investment took them from outsiders to perennial winners. That constant winning brings in big money. That money gets reinvested in the team and nothing else.
He has done exactly what ENIC should have done with us but didn't. They hedged their bets on the stadium making enough money to be competitive rather than investing in the team. We had a glorious shot at greatness but decided a £1b multi sort arena would yield more success than the team.
Abramovic probably toyed with the idea of a stadium but then realised it just wasn't worth his time, effort and money. He could spend a fraction of that on the first team, win another Champions league. bring in another £150m profit and go again.

I think too many fans give him too much credit.
This whole argument of "we're better off now than we were in the 90's" is bullshit as football existed before the 90's
And we were more likely to win things in the 90's than now.
Levy has continually made very poor football decisions that have set us back repeatedly.
These are not the actions of a "clever businessman"

I agree with your underlying point but I don't think this bolded sentence is true. The scum and Man Utd had the 90s sown up and we had the worst chairman of the last 50 years at this club in Alan Sugar who just didn't have a clue.

I agree with your underlying point but I don't think this bolded sentence is true. The scum and Man Utd had the 90s sown up and we had the worst chairman of the last 50 years at this club in Alan Sugar who just didn't have a clue.
We won an FA Cup (remember those?) and a League cup in the 90's
We also had, IIRC, 3 FA Semi finals and another league cup final before ENIC came along.
Since they arrived, 1 league cup. In 22 years.
Half the success, in over twice the time period.
And people say the 90's were dark times.

I just don't get this perception. It's not like we were toiling in the 2nd division. We were, at that point, about the 4th most successful team in English football.

We won an FA Cup (remember those?) and a League cup in the 90's
We also had, IIRC, 3 FA Semi finals and another league cup final before ENIC came along.
Since they arrived, 1 league cup. In 22 years.
Half the success, in over twice the time period.
And people say the 90's were dark times.

I just don't get this perception. It's not like we were toiling in the 2nd division. We were, at that point, about the 4th most successful team in English football.

But the 90s were shit. I was there at games. I lived with a Man U fan at Uni. It was awful. It was a time where I thought we'd had a good season if we finished it with a positive goal difference, it was so shit!

You mention those semis but we've been in enough of them and finals in the last decade to have won all the trophies in this country and Europe. We've challenged for the league, we were nowhere near that once Gazza and Lineker left in the 90s. Our best team in the rest of the decade under Francis finished 8th or thereabouts.

Sure we haven't won as many trophies as we would have liked but we have been in the conversation more than between 1991 and 2000. If you cant see that we are a vastly different better club now than then then I don't know what to say. Look at the final league positions of a start. I'm all for bashing ENIC and the wrong decisions they have made but you're missing out a lot of history here. Plus of course in the 90s there were no financially doped clubs to deal with. Imagine if neither of those had been about the last 20 ears, we'd have won a fuck of a load more I am certain of it.

They're in the champions league most season and win it occasionally. They win titles. They win cups. They have a world wide fan base. They have a large pull for sponsorship.
They, and for that matter, no one needs a massive stadium with the associated debt.
The idea that all of their success every year has been purely down to RA pumping money in is wrong.
He initially dumped huge sums in, having purchased the club cheaply. That initial investment took them from outsiders to perennial winners. That constant winning brings in big money. That money gets reinvested in the team and nothing else.
He has done exactly what ENIC should have done with us but didn't. They hedged their bets on the stadium making enough money to be competitive rather than investing in the team. We had a glorious shot at greatness but decided a £1b multi sort arena would yield more success than the team.
Abramovic probably toyed with the idea of a stadium but then realised it just wasn't worth his time, effort and money. He could spend a fraction of that on the first team, win another Champions league. bring in another £150m profit and go again.
That’s not true mate. The investment (financial img doping) has continued as they are still completely unsustainable despite the success. 250M pumped in a few years ago, 20M last year…. Their worldwide fanbase and sponsorship doesn’t attract that much more than ours. Look at the financial summaries for last year.

Agree on some of your points, they have been well managed from a football perspective…. But make no mistake they are a financial basket case

But the 90s were shit. I was there at games. I lived with a Man U fan at Uni. It was awful. It was a time where I thought we'd had a good season if we finished it with a positive goal difference, it was so shit!

You mention those semis but we've been in enough of them and finals in the last decade to have won all the trophies in this country and Europe. We've challenged for the league, we were nowhere near that once Gazza and Lineker left in the 90s. Our best team in the rest of the decade under Francis finished 8th or thereabouts.

Sure we haven't won as many trophies as we would have liked but we have been in the conversation more than between 1991 and 2000. If you cant see that we are a vastly different better club now than then then I don't know what to say. Look at the final league positions of a start. I'm all for bashing ENIC and the wrong decisions they have made but you're missing out a lot of history here. Plus of course in the 90s there were no financially doped clubs to deal with. Imagine if neither of those had been about the last 20 ears, we'd have won a fuck of a load more I am certain of it.

Mate, that's where we are today.

That’s not true mate. The investment (financial img doping) has continued as they are still completely unsustainable despite the success. 250M pumped in a few years ago, 20M last year…. Their worldwide fanbase and sponsorship doesn’t attract that much more than ours. Look at the financial summaries for last year.

Agree on some of your points, they have been well managed from a football perspective…. But make no mistake they are a financial basket case

I just think they're a very good prospect for anyone looking to buy a club.
Certainly better than us, as we would demand more money to buy and need more money pumped in to make us competitive.

I just think they're a very good prospect for anyone looking to buy a club.
Certainly better than us, as we would demand more money to buy and need more money pumped in to make us competitive.
I completely disagree but I work in finance and can’t see past their disastrous P and L. We are a far better purchase at the same price

Unless you have a spare 75M to donate annually, the first thing you need to do at Chelsea is reduce the wage bill by 75M annually

How do you grow their revenue? If you want to win a title in the first two years yeah, they are a better purchase but u better have deep pockets to continue as is

Back
Top Bottom