League Cup 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Probably the first season I stop caring about it. I don't know what Poch's attitude is this year but it has been clear in the past he has lost quite a few glorious opportunities and derby matches. Not having a go, I don't know if it is incentivised more in his contract now or not. I won't be bothering to give it the same enthusiasm as a normal comp. It is more like watching ladies or U23s or pre-season.

Probably the first season I stop caring about it. I don't know what Poch's attitude is this year but it has been clear in the past he has lost quite a few glorious opportunities and derby matches. Not having a go, I don't know if it is incentivised more in his contract now or not. I won't be bothering to give it the same enthusiasm as a normal comp. It is more like watching ladies or U23s or pre-season.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, it's all fine and well saying "I don't give a shit about the League Cup, the League is what matters" and then a couple of weeks after crashing out of the LC you go through a shit period in the league ruling it out too.
I get what Poch is saying, it's correct, it's a big team attitude. But at the end of the day, even a League Cup win just to shut people up, to add to our illustrious history and to install the winning mentality for real. Yes I want the EPL and the CL, but I'd take a trophy and let things fall into place thereafter.

I want to win a trophy as much as anyone but I would go balls out for the FA Cup and use the kids in the League Cup. Yes Poch will get roasted in the Media but we don’t have enough depth to spread it out considering the CL, FA Cup and the PL.

Not that embarrassing
League cup win 1999. Finished 11th
Then league finishes of 12,9,10,14,9,5,5,11,8 - 1 more league cup win.

Don’t really want to go back to that thanks.

We are building something now. A club that can compete with Europe’s best again.

Enjoy what we have. I’m trying to be glass half full here.
Maybe not embarrassing but it would be a big shame to lose our streak of winning something in every decade.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, it's all fine and well saying "I don't give a shit about the League Cup, the League is what matters" and then a couple of weeks after crashing out of the LC you go through a shit period in the league ruling it out too.
I get what Poch is saying, it's correct, it's a big team attitude. But at the end of the day, even a League Cup win just to shut people up, to add to our illustrious history and to install the winning mentality for real. Yes I want the EPL and the CL, but I'd take a trophy and let things fall into place thereafter.

The media and opposing fans will just pick up a different stick to beat us with. It will change to "its not a proper trophy" Look at Mourinho getting stick for "only" winning the League Cup and the Europa (i appreciate there is more to it with him getting stick but the point stands)

I don't really give a fuck about this "not winning anything" thing.

Will a Carabou Cup win stop Kane or Eriksen or Poch from potentially leaving - probably not. Will it change the media bias or get bitter gooners / spammers / dippers off our back - No.

It would be amazing for the fans, i will celebrate it like crazy. And i agree it will be good for the players to feel what lifting a trophy is like and hopefully start a ball rolling.

Got a feeling we will win the league cup this year. Can see Son and Lamela playing the early rounds due to the form of Lucas and absolutely tearing it up.

Once were at the QF stage there is really no reason not to go for it.

The media and opposing fans will just pick up a different stick to beat us with. It will change to "its not a proper trophy" Look at Mourinho getting stick for "only" winning the League Cup and the Europa (i appreciate there is more to it with him getting stick but the point stands)

Will a Carabou Cup win stop Kane or Eriksen or Poch from potentially leaving - probably not. Will it change the media bias or get bitter gooners / spammers / dippers off our back - No.

It would be amazing for the fans, i will celebrate it like crazy. And i agree it will be good for the players to feel what lifting a trophy is like and hopefully start a ball rolling.

I know what you are saying, but the thing is this. The media had Spurs as a nice team, entertaining but fragile...not any more. Harry Kane was a one season wonder.....now he's the best striker in Europe/World. Once big team come calling for our players, they are gone.....oops, file that under bullshit.

No matter what the media comes up with, we prove them wrong and keep setting new standards. Yes, I'd love the Premier League. Yes, it would be the ultimate STFU to doubters. But winning something is winning something and ultimately I'd like to finish a season with a trophy rather than a "well we were so near, but hey, we go again".

You say the League cup isn't a real trophy. I'm pretty sure City, a team much more is expected of, celebrated winning it last year and Man Ure the season before.

Media bias is what it is, we're still seen as that nearly team, I don't want to be nearly. The media loved the Fergie "It's only Tottenham" quote.

That's damn fucking well changed.

Ball numbers :
1. AFC Bournemouth

2. Scum

3. Blackburn Rovers

4. Blackpool

5. Brentford

6. Burnley

7. Burton Albion

8. Chelscum

9. Crystal Palace

10. Derby County

11. Everton

12. Fulham

13. Leicester City

14. Liverpool

15. Macclesfield Town

16. Manchester City

17. Manchester United

18. Middlesbrough

19. Millwall

20. Norwich City

21. Nottingham Forest

22. Oxford United

23. Preston North End

24. Queens Park Rangers

25. Southampton

26. Stoke City

27. Tottenham Hotspur

28. Watford

29. West Bromwich Albion

30. Wet Spam

31. Wolverhampton Wanderers

32. Wycombe Wanderers

I know what you are saying, but the thing is this. The media had Spurs as a nice team, entertaining but fragile...not any more. Harry Kane was a one season wonder.....now he's the best striker in Europe/World. Once big team come calling for our players, they are gone.....oops, file that under bullshit.

No matter what the media comes up with, we prove them wrong and keep setting new standards. Yes, I'd love the Premier League. Yes, it would be the ultimate STFU to doubters. But winning something is winning something and ultimately I'd like to finish a season with a trophy rather than a "well we were so near, but hey, we go again".

You say the League cup isn't a real trophy. I'm pretty sure City, a team much more is expected of, celebrated winning it last year and Man Ure the season before.

Media bias is what it is, we're still seen as that nearly team, I don't want to be nearly. The media loved the Fergie "It's only Tottenham" quote.

I'm not saying that, but that is what our detractors will say.

Woolwich have won 3 x FA cups in the last 5 years - but i'm pretty sure i have used the "easy home draws / played 2 non league sides in a row" line before.

People with an agenda against us will use what they can to maintain it. And i agree we are slowly changing the preconceived notions around our club and i also agree winning a league cup will add to that change - but it is a very slow process. Things are so throw away now, Leicester probably thought that they where entering a new era when they shocked the whole world and won the league - but it is old news now. Pedigree and status are built from sustained success over decades and (nowadays) bags and bags of money.

Ah, but even IF we won it, we wouldn't be ALLOWED to celebrate too much, as, according to everyone in football apparently, it makes us small time!
When's the draw anyway??

Winning things becomes a habit and is contagious to Players.i think we should try and win this. Play the young uns and fringe players till the latter stages(should we get there) and beef it up a bit with senior players then.The FA cup we should take more seriously,though I accept its not what it was.

Back
Top Bottom