Lack of urgency

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Doesn't Hawk Harrelson argue that wins are the best stat for measuring a pitcher's ability because of the ability to pitch with the lead?

Yeah because pitching up 15-0 is much much harder than pitching when you're down by one run. That's why the put the best pitchers as middle-relief mop-ups :holtbytongue:

Played a match yesterday, 1-0 down, ref tells us 10 minutes to go, and everyone began playing with a bit more urgency, fact. Can we put this to bed now.

Played a match yesterday, 1-0 down, ref tells us 10 minutes to go, and everyone began playing with a bit more urgency, fact. Can we put this to bed now.
You poor bugger, you must player with some very unmotivated or dis-organised players if they only show up for the last 10 mins.

But more importantly did you win (knowing he will say 'yes' when he clearly didn't, otherwise would have mentioned it already)?

:troll:

You poor bugger, you must player with some very unmotivated or dis-organised players if they only show up for the last 10 mins.

But more importantly did you win (knowing he will say 'yes' when he clearly didn't, otherwise would have mentioned it already)?

:troll:

Nah we still lost, but we had more chances in the last 10 mins than the whole entire game before hand.

Nah we still lost, but we had more chances in the last 10 mins than the whole entire game before hand.
So that settles it then.

What you needed was more 'composure' or 'ability' or 'structure' or 'a better striker' then.

Clearly urgency made fuck all difference.

:dude:

:troll: :troll: :troll: :ap:

So that settles it then.

What you needed was more 'composure' or 'ability' or 'structure' or 'a better striker' then.

Clearly urgency made fuck all difference.

:dude:

:troll: :troll: :troll: :ap:

If we had shown the same urgency throughout the full game we would have won, but regardless of the difference, you've acknowledged that you can express more or less urgency.

you know - if you want to descend into infantile jargon and being a smart alec, you are not going to get a discussion out of me.
I have been watching professional football for a long time, and know enough to recognise that teams can turn it on and turn it off when they want, or more often, have to.

You can be a dick and call it urgency if you want - fuck it, you can call it Carl Knoblauch for all I care, but one thing is clear to me, after having watched more hours of football, live (mostly at WHL) and on TV - than I care to admit to. From Newcastle down to Southampton, and from Darlington to Aldershot, and irrespective of their salary, players who possess the skill and teams that have the collective will and skills to match - can rack it up a gear, particularly if the end is nigh.
Teams can also play at an increased tempo from the get go, and settle into a more relaxed, possession and patience based game, and then put their foot on the gas and go again.

This whole discussion is not meant to be an invitation for people to write a treatise on tactical approaches to modern football (sacker to you) or revisit Freuds Ego and the Id, in searching for what motivates man on a cerebral level, neither is it an opportunity for someone who has been watching the game for less time than I have spent in pubs, lecturing me - on what you think I need to know, about your misconception of the purpose of the discussion.

So play nice, and dont try to put me down, and I'll afford you the same courtesy.

I'd much rather keep this as a balanced discussion of ideas and an exchange of views, but trust me - if you want to get snarky, I can give (easily) as good as I get.

Edit -
Actually, thats not true, I won't give as good as I get, I'll walk off and leave you talking to yourself
I think Tommy Harmers polite twin has just popped up.

I think Tommy Harmers polite twin has just popped up.
you're the second person to bring his name up......

I don't think I was being unreasonable though, do you?

If I was out of order - I'll apologise, but I just felt that his sarcasm was unwarranted and unnecessary, if the discussion was to remain within the spirit of a debate.

Tricky managed to take the same stance, but without being a dick, and we had a good discussion about it. I don't see the need for things to descend to that kind of level.

However, I'm new in town, and if I've stepped on any toes, I'll wind my neck in.

I'm totally right thouugh..........100%
:)

The Southampton game did zero to change my mind that we lack drive/intensity/urgency (whatever) against smaller clubs. In fact it cemented my opinion further.

Awful showing which leaves me in two minds for Wednesday. We wont play that shit away from home, and certainly not against a top team. But while that in itself is good news, even if we win, I will fear our approach at Stoke and home to Sunderland will not be anywhere near the tempo I expect us to play at Chelsea.

Bale is responsible for goals that had earned 22pts this season, and while I never look at the one man team arguments, its clear that he is the only player capable of taking the reigns and going and winning us 3pts.

Top 4 or no Top 4 next year, Id really like to see us step our game up.

Tottenham are boring me.

Someone put it rather well - we played like Wimbledon at times on Saturday

We need to up our game unless Chelsea or it could end up being embarrassing

Having said that - our run of form prior to OT's visit was hardly inspiring either - so here's hoping

COYS

Someone put it rather well - we played like Wimbledon at times on Saturday

We need to up our game unless Chelsea or it could end up being embarrassing

Having said that - our run of form prior to OT's visit was hardly inspiring either - so here's hoping

COYS

IMHO we played like a disabled version of Pep's Barcelona.

Trying to square the ball 8 yards at a time. With no succes obviously, due to our ridiculously slow tempo when moving the ball.

The Southampton game did zero to change my mind that we lack drive/intensity/urgency (whatever) against smaller clubs. In fact it cemented my opinion further.

Awful showing which leaves me in two minds for Wednesday. We wont play that shit away from home, and certainly not against a top team. But while that in itself is good news, even if we win, I will fear our approach at Stoke and home to Sunderland will not be anywhere near the tempo I expect us to play at Chelsea.

Bale is responsible for goals that had earned 22pts this season, and while I never look at the one man team arguments, its clear that he is the only player capable of taking the reigns and going and winning us 3pts.

Tottenham are boring me.

Well clearly this is because you either don't have a mind worth changing or don't have any natural passion for the team and sit back and wait to be entertained.

Did you not hear? There is not such thing as 'urgency'? :adelol: :adelol: :adelol:

And yes this is a 100% antagonistic troll, gimp boy. :troll: :troll: :troll:

I iz just messin wid yer now, trolloolol, lolol, lol, lol. :dude: :dude: :dude:

Tottenham are boring me.

Then fuck off and support Barnet, they're entertaining.

Then fuck off and support Barnet, they're entertaining.

No, Id rather support a Spurs team playing in the tradition we are known for.

Flowing, attacking football. Athure Rowe defined a playing style in British football some 60 years ago that many managers have emulated over the decades, and class and style is synonymous with our club.

I take great pride in that, and would rather be a top four club playing daring, thrilling football than win the PL playing like the gooners in the 80's.

"It is full of beautiful movements. Ballet movements if you like. It was never meant to be played in the air. Lets give the public real football."

Danny Blanchflower

Maybe he should have fucked off to Barnet too.

Or perhaps Bil Nic himself:

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best."

Didnt he also talk about boring the opposition into defeat?

If only you knew your history...I guess for fans like you though, bumbling our way to 4th playing like a team of snails would make you cum in your pants.

Back
Top Bottom