Kyle Walker

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

These stats are nice, but Walker has been at fault for the majority of our goals this season, just via sloppy mistakes and concentration. I can see him turning into a great player, but this season he's been below par for me, certantly compared to last season.

Would say that he's gotten better going forward this season and worse defensively.

I just wonder if he is another Bale, where he was considered a full back at first but struggled defensively as he enjoyed getting forward more. It's difficult to say as he is only young and he was quite content at right back last season. I'll just be interested to see him in Lennon's position for 45 minutes

CJM said:
These stats are nice, but Walker has been at fault for the majority of our goals this season, just via sloppy mistakes and concentration.

My personal assessment of 'fault'

- QPR - 5-10% - Friedel/Dembele share the bulk for me
- Reading - 20-30% - the goal started on our right-hand side
- Norwich - 20% -watch Hudd observe Holt and do fuck all about it
- West Brom - 50% fault - lost his man in the box
- Newcastle - no fault - if anything he did brilliantly to get a header in - then Gallas should have closed Ba down

Looking at the match ratings does not make good reading for Walker, that said he gets much better ratings here and I thought he was close to be being MOTM against Reading and would have been for me had he not been partially at fault for their goal.

Just a quick cursory look at those stats and there seems to be something missing.

Now what is it?

Ah yes 'context', the season so far is only five games ffs, thus rendering pretty much all application of statistical analysis virtually redundant, as a single good or bad game skews them too much.

Fact is he's one of the best right back we've had for a while, he's young, has the potential to be better and has a great smilie.

Which is nice.

:walker:

I think with his increasing involvement with the England squad, he should begin to pick things up from the likes of Cole/Baines/Johnson etc. and help him round his game

Thelonious said:
The problem with Walker is his concentration defensively, he can be caught napping at times, he's pretty young for a defender so he'll have plenty of time to iron out the kinks in his game, he's our very own wonderboy.

This, things like his positioning need to be worked on, though his pace has gotten him out of trouble a good few times. Can't see any reason, with the right coaching importantly, he won't develop into a top notch right back and mug off Glen Johnson for the England spot too...Which shouldn't be too hard.

Can he please just mark the right side of his man instead of thinking his pace will get him out of any situation?........My heart sinks every time someone puts him under real pressure

He's been our weakest link so far this season. Doesn't even look particularly good going forward and combining with Lennon which is where he was so good last season. I don't know if he is lacking confidence, sophomore slump or what. It is very perplexing.

I wouldn't be opposed to Naughton getting a game or two at RB when he comes back and giving Walker a rest.

I think the official Sky Sports Premier League term to describe this would be "second season syndrome"

It's always easy to say that young players will be inconsistent, the difference here is that there's one consistent problem. Maybe he just needs a little longer to understand AVB rather than being told to go out and FRAAB

Not sure it's Second-Season Syndrome, as he has had 2 strong seasons in the Premier League (with us and before that on loan at Villa). I think lack of competition (from Corluka?) & new tactics/manager have had an effect, but with his pace he should be well-suited to the high-line! Briefly covered his poor (?) form in the September ratings thread, and someone pointed out about his new baby - could well be to blame for some of the zzzzzz moments? Either way, he needs to shake them off & find last season's form again

He's young, he's still polishing his game. I'm sure he'll sort it out soon, even if he needs to be dropped for a little while.

In the meantime I am happy to fill in. :baletroll:

When is Naughton coming back? He has looked good at LB and I would like to see what he can do at RB. Also, with him pushing for first team place may give Walker the incentive required to push himself a little more.

Back
Top Bottom