Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The short answer is there isn’t one, maybe anchelotti was the play but we missed that chance obviously.

I feel we need to shy away from managers who done the business a decade plus ago.

And we need to find the next Ancelotti, Mourinho etc.

Or find someone who can get the best out of our players and hope for the best when it comes to trophies as its always luck based.

Let's just hope and pray Mourinhos 15m a year brings us a trophy before he moves on.

Here’s a thought if Jose keeps saying that he doesn’t tell the players to sit deep in 2nd half of games how about the players actually deciding to take it upon themselves and push forward. Surely he can’t then scold the players afterwards if that’s what he says he wanted them to do. Then we would see if it’s the players or him who is driving to sit back. I just think some of the senior players either go and see jose and tell him what they think or basically they decide the in game management themselves. After all they are all internationals including WC winning captain. On the latter he should not be captain as he doesn’t drive the team on. In fact not many do when you watch the game and we get the ball back in defence I don’t see anyone wave their arms to tell everyone to push up.

Here’s a thought if Jose keeps saying that he doesn’t tell the players to sit deep in 2nd half of games how about the players actually deciding to take it upon themselves and push forward. Surely he can’t then scold the players afterwards if that’s what he says he wanted them to do. Then we would see if it’s the players or him who is driving to sit back. I just think some of the senior players either go and see jose and tell him what they think or basically they decide the in game management themselves. After all they are all internationals including WC winning captain. On the latter he should not be captain as he doesn’t drive the team on. In fact not many do when you watch the game and we get the ball back in defence I don’t see anyone wave their arms to tell everyone to push up.

I said this is another thread so apologies for the double post but I don't think it's particularly a case of us 'sitting deep' in the second half against Fulham but just playing with no conviction or intent when we've got the ball. I think they're scared shitless to try anything in case god forbid we give the ball away trying to make a forward pass.

There's a different between losing the ball trying to make something happen and just outright sloppiness as well.

I said this is another thread so apologies for the double post but I don't think it's particularly a case of us 'sitting deep' in the second half against Fulham but just playing with no conviction or intent when we've got the ball. I think they're scared shitless to try anything in case god forbid we give the ball away trying to make a forward pass.

There's a different between losing the ball trying to make something happen and just outright sloppiness as well.
I think the slow lack of intent leads to the sloppiness. How often do you hear pundits if you start off half asleep nitin your game it’s hard to it around. No light switch to turn it in or off.

I no longer look forward to our games and have little to no desire to watch them
It’s the cup final that’s left.

people can’t say “winner” and sacrifice any process for immediate Short-term results, and then brazenly turn around and say “give him time” when the results don’t come.

We’ve got 2010-12 Michael Schumacher at our wheel. Capable of showing a bit of the old magic but it’s a damp squib overall.

It’s the cup final that’s left.

people can’t say “winner” and sacrifice any process for immediate Short-term results, and then brazenly turn around and say “give him time” when the results don’t come.

We’ve got 2010-12 Michael Schumacher at our wheel. Capable of showing a bit of the old magic but it’s a damp squib overall.
This is what gets me, the narrative is starting to change to give him more time, give him another 3 or 4 players. He hasn't done that in his entire career, he is a short term results merchant with a 3rd season meltdown thrown in at every club he has been at. We didnt appoint an up and coming manager to build something, we are paying £15m for results now. I'm pretty sure this is known in the boardroom, if this were a project they'd be backing him and selling Alli.

This is what gets me, the narrative is starting to change to give him more time, give him another 3 or 4 players. He hasn't done that in his entire career, he is a short term results merchant with a 3rd season meltdown thrown in at every club he has been at. We didnt appoint an up and coming manager to build something, we are paying £15m for results now. I'm pretty sure this is known in the boardroom, if this were a project they'd be backing him and selling Alli.
I’m 100% in the “give him more time” camp. He took over a club on its arse. Had to deal with the league being stopped. And then started again. The lack of opportunities to train the players properly. And he’s only been here for just over a year. Of course he should get a pass so far.

Much rather that than being in the camp of wanting him sacked when we were top of the league a few weeks back and are in a cup final.

My one issue at present is his assertion that the players aren’t following his demands. This means he is either lying to save face, or needs to communicate better. Whichever one, it’s not a positive.

I’m 100% in the “give him more time” camp. He took over a club on its arse. Had to deal with the league being stopped. And then started again. The lack of opportunities to train the players properly. And he’s only been here for just over a year. Of course he should get a pass so far.

Much rather that than being in the camp of wanting him sacked when we were top of the league a few weeks back and are in a cup final.

My one issue at present is his assertion that the players aren’t following his demands. This means he is either lying to save face, or needs to communicate better. Whichever one, it’s not a positive.
I'm not sure i've ever said i want him sacked but i would like to see us move on at the end of the season to avoid 3rd season meltdown, to give younger players a chance and to avoid having to watch this football for another 12 months. Obviously Levys decision and like all our managers he needs to get champions league. He got a pass last season because of the disruption and timeframe in the job, i'm pretty sure he won't get another one.

I'm not sure i've ever said i want him sacked but i would like to see us move on at the end of the season to avoid 3rd season meltdown, to give younger players a chance and to avoid having to watch this football for another 12 months. Obviously Levys decision and like all our managers he needs to get champions league. He got a pass last season because of the disruption and timeframe in the job, i'm pretty sure he won't get another one.
I wasn’t inferring that you said you want him sacked. Was just talking generally. But now you have said you want him to go at the end of the season. So.....

I wasn’t inferring that you said you want him sacked. Was just talking generally. But now you have said you want him to go at the end of the season. So.....
Mid season sackings are counter productive and you end up making panic choices, bar Redknapp i cant think when it has ever worked. Jol was already at the club so not sure he really counts. Yes i think end of the season would be a good time to move on. All Mourinhos best seasons have been the first 2 at any given club and then it gets toxic quickly. I dont see why we would be the first in a 17 year career to break that cycle, especially with a thrifty, trigger happy chairman.

Mid season sackings are counter productive and you end up making panic choices, bar Redknapp i cant think when it has ever worked. Jol was already at the club so not sure he really counts. Yes i think end of the season would be a good time to move on. All Mourinhos best seasons have been the first 2 at any given club and then it gets toxic quickly. I dont see why we would be the first in a 17 year career to break that cycle, especially with a thrifty, trigger happy chairman.
I don’t think there is any chance of Jose getting sacked at the end of the season, barring that we drop below 10th or something crazy. I also think he will get all of next season as well.

What Mourinho needs is the right kind of players to play the way he wants. Giving him more time wouldnt change anything if he doesnt have the needed players.

Similar to Pep, he has a way in which he wants to set up his team, and thus only fits clubs that have or can get the type and quality of players needed. When they do have the players, they can produce a dominant side, but without the players that fit the needs, the output is less than desirable.

I think the transfers have been good so far (except for Doherty who seems to have an aversion for regular football). The key players needed going forward are a CM playmaker (help with ball retention and constructing attacks, instead of always losing it under the slightest press and inviting pressure back)and an elite CB (play a high backline and not need other players to be so defensive) . Those would likely be needed irrespective of the manager. So it would be better to get the needed players and see how Mourinho does, before going for a new manager.

With same players, its possible to have a new manager play better football, but dont see the results being much better. The squad is simply lacking some key players. Unless there is a generational talent youth player that you think the manager is best suited to developing, I dont see the miracle any manager is going work.

Of course, if the plan is to play possession football (like City and Barcelona), then Mourinho should be fired ASAP cos that would require a squad overhaul

What Mourinho needs is the right kind of players to play the way he wants. Giving him more time wouldnt change anything if he doesnt have the needed players.

Similar to Pep, he has a way in which he wants to set up his team, and thus only fits clubs that have or can get the type and quality of players needed. When they do have the players, they can produce a dominant side, but without the players that fit the needs, the output is less than desirable.

I think the transfers have been good so far (except for Doherty who seems to have an aversion for regular football). The key players needed going forward are a CM playmaker (help with ball retention and constructing attacks, instead of always losing it under the slightest press and inviting pressure back)and an elite CB (play a high backline and not need other players to be so defensive) . Those would likely be needed irrespective of the manager. So it would be better to get the needed players and see how Mourinho does, before going for a new manager.

With same players, its possible to have a new manager play better football, but dont see the results being much better. The squad is simply lacking some key players. Unless there is a generational talent youth player that you think the manager is best suited to developing, I dont see the miracle any manager is going work.

Of course, if the plan is to play possession football (like City and Barcelona), then Mourinho should be fired ASAP cos that would require a squad overhaul
Our current set of personnel are probably closer to playing possession football than they are Mourinho bus-ball. If we could play both in possession and on the counter, we'd be leading the league by a mile this season. Too bad we are a one trick pony under Mou. I hope it all works out but the evidence is not strong right now that it can long-term.

Back
Top Bottom