Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And yet his defensive header from that last free kick was weak, which put pressure on Winks, which...

Imagine that had been Dier, he would be getting roasted.

I'm not digging Harry out, obviously, just that mistakes are collective affairs. My father-in-law was chief mechanic for Iberia at Madrid Airport, he told me about a training course they had done examining just this. They looked at an incident in which the windscreen of a 747 completely blew out at cruising altitude (thankfully the pilot managed to land the plane without any injury to anyone). Anyhow, they traced the evolution of the fault, which was initially attibuted to one person or service area, and found that ten or so people or units had been involved, each contributing a small but unnoticed addition to the problem until its awful conclusion.

He said the course had pretty much changed his life in some ways, both professionally, but also in many other contexts. The one that occurred to me was football (he's a big fan too) and he agreed, how a goal against or a sending off or whatever is the culmination of a series of events, that pinning the blame on one person - Aurier, Kane, Winks, Lloris is insane, yes all those played their part but so did other elements that may have gone unnoticed, and other actors at earlier stages - Bale missing, Sánchez's own goal, Reguilon allowing the player inside, Moura not tracking back, Kane not passing to a better placed striker, Mourinho's sub choices etc etc etc.

Whenever I see one player being scapegoated I think back to this conversation. Pinning it all on one player is little more than venting your own prejudices and frustrations
As soon as Bale missed i knew they would score again!

And yet his defensive header from that last free kick was weak, which put pressure on Winks, which...

I'm not digging Harry out, obviously, just that mistakes are collective affairs. My father-in-law was chief mechanic for Iberia at Madrid Airport, he told me about a training course they had done examining just this. They looked at an incident in which the windscreen of a 747 completely blew out at cruising altitude (thankfully the pilot managed to land the plane without any injury to anyone). Anyhow, they traced the evolution of the fault, which was initially attibuted to one person or service area, and found that ten or so people or units had been involved, each contributing a small but unnoticed addition to the problem until its awful conclusion.

He said the course had pretty much changed his life in some ways, not just professionally, but also in many other contexts. The one that occurred to me was football (he's a big fan too) and he agreed, how a goal against or a sending off or whatever is the culmination of a series of events, that pinning the blame on one person - Aurier, Kane, Winks, Lloris is insane, yes all those played their part but so did other elements that may have gone unnoticed, and other actors at earlier stages - Bale missing, Sánchez's own goal, Reguilon allowing the player inside, Moura not tracking back, Kane not passing to a better placed striker, Mourinho's sub choices etc etc etc.

Whenever I see one player being scapegoated I think back to this conversation. Pinning it all on one player is little more than venting your own prejudices and frustrations

Exactly, we win and lose as a team. All managers know this. We can analyse situations and individual performances but you can't blame one player for a result like the one we just had. Collectively we have to do better.

He said the course had pretty much changed his life in some ways, not just professionally, but also in many other contexts. The one that occurred to me was football (he's a big fan too) and he agreed, how a goal against or a sending off or whatever is the culmination of a series of events, that pinning the blame on one person - Aurier, Kane, Winks, Lloris is insane, yes all those played their part but so did other elements that may have gone unnoticed, and other actors at earlier stages - Bale missing, Sánchez's own goal, Reguilon allowing the player inside, Moura not tracking back, Kane not passing to a better placed striker, Mourinho's sub choices etc etc etc.

Fascinating story,.
Shame we live in 2020 where absolutely NO ONE takes personal responsibility anymore.

But for real, is JM that is responsible for this draw?
Sissoko lost man to man at first goal, Sanchez scores an amazing goal -btw, what a finishing!- and then no comments for the equaliser.

I really can't stand Sanchez in starting eleven any more. Full of mistakes and bad positioning. I guess he is going to be the 4th CB soon because he doesn't have any quality other than being athletic.

But for real, is JM that is responsible for this draw?
Sissoko lost man to man at first goal, Sanchez scores an amazing goal -btw, what a finishing!- and then no comments for the equaliser.

I really can't stand Sanchez in starting eleven any more. Full of mistakes and bad positioning. I guess he is going to be the 4th CB soon because he doesn't have any quality other than being athletic.
What made it worse was that Sanchez was under no real pressure, it was a barmy decision to do what he did after that they smelt blood.

He'll be dropping F bombs galore no doubt.
But we still have the same players. All the ranting in the world can't change that now.
I have faith that Tanganga - Dier working well together.. I have strong hope in Rodon too. Think Jose can work with this. Toby for Europe and Sanchez well.. back to the drawing board.

Should Jose go 3 at the back to cut out some of these silly mistakes? All three of Alderweireld, Sanchez and Dier have played in a back 3 before and played very well. We also did okay at the back against Chelsea in the cup recently when we deployed 3 CBs. It'd also give Reguilon and Doherty/Aurier a lot more freedom to do what they do best and the front three would remain same.

Very well put. A great mindset to ingrain in a team, IF you don't let them think they can hide behind that collective. Chin in, chest out and take responsibility both as a team and individuals.

I am sure Mou has that covered.

Also hard for us as fans to credit the opposition or acknowledge that luck plays a role. West Ham played well second half, but they also got lucky. To score 3 goals and concede none from those last 10 mins needed the luck to go their way, a lot. As Jose said, 'that's football'.

By the way Lanzini's goal was rated a 1 in 100 chance (0.01xG on Understat). He'll probably never score a goal as good as that again.

Also hard for us as fans to credit the opposition or acknowledge that luck plays a role. West Ham played well second half, but they also got lucky. To score 3 goals and concede none from those last 10 mins needed the luck to go their way, a lot. As Jose said, 'that's football'.

By the way Lanzini's goal was rated a 1 in 100 chance (0.01xG on Understat). He'll probably never score a goal as good as that again.
I don't think they played that badly in the first half either

I don't think they played that badly in the first half either
Yes we were just better. Our attack is top and can score against anyone. Our defence is not sadly.

I think Mourinho will be tempted to sacrifice an attacking player to bolster the defence. Maybe play only one attacking FB. He could go with Tanganga for Aurier or Davies for Reguilón. Gives us a bit more aerial ability for set plays too.

Brilliant post . This is the bit so many posters do not understand. Yet this here is how you get to the top. Collective responsibility wins leagues and cups. In the post above it also saves lives. Harry's weak header or Winks's decision making they are the chain that unnoticed earn Westham a point. Aurier and Sissoko....its too easy.

Yes we were just better. Our attack is top and can score against anyone. Our defence is not sadly.

I think Mourinho will be tempted to sacrifice an attacking player to bolster the defence. Maybe play only one attacking FB. He could go with Tanganga for Aurier or Davies for Reguilón. Gives us a bit more aerial ability for set plays too.

Nooooooooooo! Please no.... I hate wonky systems; they're just too predictable.

Back
Top Bottom