Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Claim victory all you want. I just see Spurs in our worst position in 13 years
LOL
Thinking that I needed to claim some sort of 'victory' demonstrates my original point perfectly. Thanks!

To people like you, an opposing opinion is an affront, a challenge to your ego, or an opportunity to 'win' something (who knows what?). To me, an opposing opinion is usually quite welcome and makes me think and consider my stance on something, which I like to do. I have changed my mind about all kinds of things in life because I chose to embrace a different opinion, most of the time for the better....you should try it sometimes.

Your posts leave you looking like uglia and others on here who clearly put their hatred of Mourinho ahead of everything else...ahead of reasoned opinions, ahead of logic...ahead of facts...even ahead of the club and it's short-term success!

Regarding your 'response'....you can't be a Spurs fan surely? I've definitely seen us in worse positions in the last 13 years (sadly)....in fact, we were 14th when Jose took over just last season. And why just 13 years? Oh I see, go back any further and you'd have to include Ramos taking us to rock bottom after 8 games in 2008...the 'mid-table 90s'...the Cristian Gross years etc etc.

The other thing that you conveniently forget is that we haven't even finished Jose's first full season, and yet you are ready to compare our league position (at 1 point this season) to 13 other FULL SEASONS!

Nice try....but I would recommend that you try to live up to your username....unless it's deliberately meant to be ironic!

:moursmall:

COYS

Are you just jumping straight to the insults stage now?

I wish you well supporting Mourinho's next club.
No

I realized that you are either ignoring my points or you simply can't understand them...either way, it would be futile trying to explain it to you any further.

Thanks for your kind wishes...but I'll continue to support Spurs if it's all the same to you.

You should try it sometime!

:vdvshh:

No

I realized that you are either ignoring my points or you simply can't understand them...either way, it would be futile trying to explain it to you any further.

Thanks for your kind wishes...but I'll continue to support Spurs if it's all the same to you.

You should try it sometime!

:vdvshh:
OK fanboy. You misunderstood the posts you originally quoted and proceeded to double down on your stupidity.

Congratulations. I admire the attempt at condescension but unfortunately you're sadly lacking in ability.

LOL
Thinking that I needed to claim some sort of 'victory' demonstrates my original point perfectly. Thanks!

To people like you, an opposing opinion is an affront, a challenge to your ego, or an opportunity to 'win' something (who knows what?). To me, an opposing opinion is usually quite welcome and makes me think and consider my stance on something, which I like to do. I have changed my mind about all kinds of things in life because I chose to embrace a different opinion, most of the time for the better....you should try it sometimes.

Your posts leave you looking like uglia and others on here who clearly put their hatred of Mourinho ahead of everything else...ahead of reasoned opinions, ahead of logic...ahead of facts...even ahead of the club and it's short-term success!

Regarding your 'response'....you can't be a Spurs fan surely? I've definitely seen us in worse positions in the last 13 years (sadly)....in fact, we were 14th when Jose took over just last season. And why just 13 years? Oh I see, go back any further and you'd have to include Ramos taking us to rock bottom after 8 games in 2008...the 'mid-table 90s'...the Cristian Gross years etc etc.

The other thing that you conveniently forget is that we haven't even finished Jose's first full season, and yet you are ready to compare our league position (at 1 point this season) to 13 other FULL SEASONS!

Nice try....but I would recommend that you try to live up to your username....unless it's deliberately meant to be ironic!

:moursmall:

COYS
Quite the opposite my friend.

I would have loved Mourinho to prove me wrong. I want nothing more. If spurs were watchable and/or competitive at the top end (WINNER!) this thread wouldn't be taking place.

This was my initial response on here to the idea of Mourinho coming here; I'm consistent. I've seen nothing to change my mind.

Your habit of projecting through accusing others of being myopic and condescending is not lost on me,

We have never been this deep into a season and been this low in the table since... 2008. That's 13 years, duh. Expectations have risen in the club and with the fanbase. Stop lowering the bar to protect him.

Pochettino got fired for his terrible run. As should Jose. The difference between the 2, in that IN MY OPINION, Pochettino had earnt the right in his previous work to put his mark on the team.

Jose has no such goodwill WITHIN Tottenham. I don't care what he's achieved with anyone else. What's he doing now?! With Spurs he's been George Graham with a dash of Tim Sherwood.

The suppose point of Mourinho is he takes a team after progression in the first year, he makes them winners in the 2nd, and you take a meltdown in the 3rd. it's been a damp squib.

As for Full season, why are you making such provisions? Gross & Sherwood didn't need full seasons to confirm they were not up to snuff. Nobody cried when Santini left.

Klopp took over Liverpool in the winter of 2015 and had them in the LC & EL final within months, and top 4 by the 2nd season. They had several big wins.

Tuchel has improved Chelsea immeasurably in less than 3 months. That's the impact of actual modern coaching.

We're not paying Mourinho £15mil a year to compare him to the worst of Poch or Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. We are paying him to be one of the best and it's clear the opposite is happening.

"Better players than I had at Man Utd" NEVER FORGET.

I love Spurs (ok superfan!) and it pains me to see this washed up version of Mourinho directing our ship.

I wouldn't have Gerrard as my first, second or third choice. But I think it's clear he's going to go on to be a very good manager. As one of the best players of his generation, despite what one or two numpties think here, he'll instantly have the respect of his players, despite not being much older than many of them, and will be able to lure players to the club some other managers wouldn't. I think tactically he's still got an awful lot to learn.

I´m sorry, but this is not a very honest argument. You start by saying: "Mourinho hasn´t won a CL knockout since 2015". However, he only played two CL knockouts since - exactly the two cases you mentioned as "his last 2 exits". So, as you know, he didn´t play six or seven CL knockouts since 2015 and got defeated in all of them.

By the way, just in case you forgotten:

First leg against Leipzig:

Lloris; Aurier, Sanchez, Toby, Davies; Gedson, Winks, Lo Celso, Bergwijn; D. Alli and Lucas.

Second leg against Leipzig:

Lloris; Tanganga, Dier and Toby; Aurier, Winks, Lo Celso and Sessegnon; Lamela, Lucas; D. Alli. (Subs: Gedson Fernandes and Malachi Fagan-Walcott).

Dinosaur, right? Any other manager would win the CL with those players...

COYS
Leipzig tie needs context.

Their 3 first choice CB’s were out in that first leg. They started Nathan Ampadu, who is about the be relegated with Sheff U.

They didn’t use that as an excuse like Jose did, they played attacking expansive football and beat us at the Lane whilst we cowered like little children.

It was putrid.

I wouldn't have Gerrard as my first, second or third choice. But I think it's clear he's going to go on to be a very good manager. As one of the best players of his generation, despite what one or two numpties think here, he'll instantly have the respect of his players, despite not being much older than many of them, and will be able to lure players to the club some other managers wouldn't. I think tactically he's still got an awful lot to learn.
That didn’t help fat Frank, nor De Boer, nor Laudrup...

I hated that team with all the burning anger a ten-year-old could muster, maybe more than I knew I hated Arsen@l. I only liked Giles and Lorimer, may they both rest in peace.

I knew I hated the Arse in 71 at just nine, I was only vaguely aware of our rivalry, coming from rural Norfolk with precious few points of reference. I learnt all that stuff in the coming years as I grew into my lilywhite identity. After that crap double they faded from my view if I'm honest. The Leeds dislike was more organic somehow, I had an instinctive loathing for them, that bullshit way they lined up in the centre circle and did that turning wave, it proper fecked me off as a kid.

And don't get me started on these...

EGrbFoQWsAAQTxX
EGrbFoWWwAAz8Wz

Cunt team, cunt fans.
Sure its been mentioned on here before,but they were invented by a Spurs fan,from Love lane.
He thought it would be a great thing that was cheap for the players to sign and give to fans at the end of games.He contacted Billy Nick who wasn't interested,so contacted Don Revie who liked the idea.

Leipzig tie needs context.

Their 3 first choice CB’s were out in that first leg. They started Nathan Ampadu, who is about the be relegated with Sheff U.

They didn’t use that as an excuse like Jose did, they played attacking expansive football and beat us at the Lane whilst we cowered like little children.

It was putrid.
Fair point. I´d say they had better people to cover the CB position in comparison to our situation up front: Halstenberg and Klostermann were the other CB´s in that game - you could argue that both of them would play in our team (then and now) -, while Mukelele and Tasende were the WB´s - two really important pieces of Leipzig´s first team until today. In comparison, to replace our two most important ones (Kane and Sonny), we played a front 2 of Lucas and D. Alli, using Lamela (coming from a big injury) for a few minutes in the end. Not really a balanced situation.

In any case, by describing our reality then - playing a CL knockout tie without strikers (Kane, Sonny and a backup striker, which we simply didn´t have at that point) -, I was explaining how dishonest is the "Jose failed to qualify in a CL knockout since 2015" argument. His teams only played a CL knockout tie in 2 occasions since 2015, and one of them was against Leipzig, facing a depressing scenario in relation to our team selection, etc.

P.S: just to finish, in relation to Leipzig and the attacking expansive football: they had all their attacking players available. Sabitzer, Poulsen, Schick, Werner, Fosberg and Nkunku all played a part. Considering their quality up front as well our lack of quality in defence (where we were "complete"), again, it was not a balanced situation.

Last edited:
Because you are using a (likely handpicked) 8 game sample size to try to compare pochs and AVBs entire managerial tenures. That’s ridiculous logic.

If we go back to our streak earlier starting at west ham. The 8 games in reverse were LWLLWLLL. Worse than either stretch. And those 2 wins were marine and west brom!

We could easily guess poch would have won 5 of his next 8. Nobody will know.

Im not making a point besides your last paragraph is ridiculous.
It's literally the last 8 games as at now, and the last 2 coaches who were sacked.
My point is, their form was considerably worse which is why they got sacked. You'll struggle to find anyone, let alone Spurs, that have sacked their coach when they have the joint best form over the last 5 with the league leaders. Whatever people say about who the opposition is it just won't happen.

It's literally the last 8 games as at now, and the last 2 coaches who were sacked.
My point is, their form was considerably worse which is why they got sacked. You'll struggle to find anyone, let alone Spurs, that have sacked their coach when they have the joint best form over the last 5 with the league leaders. Whatever people say about who the opposition is it just won't happen.
Makes more sense to me to examine the form over the last 8 games than it does to pick a random 8 games from West Ham onwards.

Are people genuinely calling Nagelsman greater than Mourinho?

State of TFC..
Could anyone do any worse than the Portuguese yesterday’s man? I don’t doubt his heritage from yesteryear, but Brian Clough is more likely to get this lot motivated and enjoying their football (vs Jose)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom