Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He is and always has been an utter cunt. For about the last 7 years he has also been a shit manager as well as an utter cunt. I'll never forgive Levy for bringing him here.
He seemed to be more bitter after Madrid and basically ruined Dele and Rose's career. Don't understand why we signed Bale and never used him. But to sack him before a cup final was just as stupid as bringing him in imo, if you were never going to like his style anyway.

He seemed to be more bitter after Madrid and basically ruined Dele and Rose's career. Don't understand why we signed Bale and never used him. But to sack him before a cup final was just as stupid as bringing him in imo, if you were never going to like his style anyway.
It was stupid doing that before a final but Levy has history, did the same to George Graham a week before an FA cup semi final against Woolwich. I wouldnt have touched Mourinho with a bargepole, it was obvious he was a busted flush but once here he should have been sacked after Zagreb at the latest.

NO WAY JOSE

Jose Mourinho claims football will soon be played without goalkeepers in ‘genius’ tactical innovation​

Mourinho also highlighted a second tactical move which helped Man City win the Champions League
  • Published: 14:08, 22 Apr 2024
JOSE MOURINHO has revealed what he believes to be football's next "genius" innovation - playing with no goalkeepers.
The role of goalkeepers has transformed from that of a simple shot stopper to that of an 11th outfield player over the last two decades.

Onana took a number of touches outside of the box during Man Utd's FA Cup semi-final win over Coventry
Onana took a number of touches outside of the box during Man Utd's FA Cup semi-final win over Coventry

The likes of Manuel Neuer were pioneers in the form, with modern goalies such as Manchester City's Ederson and Manchester United's Andre Onana among the prime examples.

Indeed, Onana took a number of touches outside of the Man Utd penalty box against in yesterday's FA Cup semi-final and even got as far up as the centre circle.

However, the next development of the position could soon see an outfield player inherit the role late in games - rules would mean they will still need to wear the goalkeeper shirt, but gloves would be optional.

At least, that is what three-time Premier League winner Mourinho believes.

In an interview with The Telegraph, the former Chelsea, Man Utd and Tottenham boss hypothesised that a leading manager would soon make the step to substitute their goalkeeper for an outfield player when chasing a game late on.

The 61-year-old said: "Why do you play with a goalkeeper, even if he is good with his feet, almost in the midfield, if you can do that with a proper player? I can see that substitution happening.

"And the coach who does it will be considered a genius."

He even suggested he would try it himself, saying: "To have an extra player there … when the opposition is very low in the block and 10 minutes left? Let’s try it – yeah!"

Another change Mourinho has highlighted is the rise of central defenders in wide defensive positions.

The Portuguese said: "Look to Manchester City, look to Woolwich - just to give two examples.

"How many central defenders do they have in the team? Sometimes they have six.

"As a matter of principle. Then they play in other positions.

"They play right-back, left-back, they play midfield.

"But they play with five or six central defenders on the pitch. Why? If I am a journalist I would ask the manager."

He continued: "They feel the need for defensive stability and a defensive compactness."

“The way to look at it is thinking how many Champions League years Man City were not successful and the difference in the season they were successful.

"And I go immediately in one direction – look at the physicality."

Referring initially to Barcelona's Champions League quarter final with PSG last week, he said: “Lots of long balls from [Marc] Ter Stegen to [Robert] Lewandowski on the build-up.

"Paris trying to press higher, Ter Stegen to Lewandowski, Lewandowski chest, control and play from that position.

"I won a Europa League final with [long balls from] Sergio Romero to Marouane Fellaini.

"Ajax pressing – but pressing oxygen because the ball was not there.

"Ball to Fellaini’s chest. Play from there. Two-nil. Bring the cup home. Three titles. Disaster of a season."

Mourinho was sacked from his most recent job at Roma in January and has been linked with various positions including roles in Saudi Arabia.

I still remember playing Chelsea away when we were top of the league and he refused to bring Bale on to win us the game. Bale just sits on the bench as we draw 0-0. Mourinho brings on Lo Celso at 65 mins, then Lucas and Davies in the 90th minute. Doesn't even want 3 points.

You were just bigging up Jose's versatiliy, philosophy and mentality in the Ange thread.... Now this!?!?! 🤡

Back
Top Bottom