Jordan Henderson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In isolation, no-one gives a shit about the size of his wage packet....

The footballing world hasn't turned on Messi for going to the US for a bazzlion dollars a week.

I'm not talking about what other people think or believe. I'm just making the point that regardless of what he comes out with, he went there simply for the insane amount of money on offer, the same as any other foreign player that has recently made the move there. In my opinion he should just be honest about that as people generally aren't as stupid as he seems to think they are.

He's at the back stage of his career so nobody can or should blame him for wanting to make as much money as possible, as quickly as possible. I know he was already set for life but that's besides the point. I think people would have much less of an issue with it if he was just honest about it instead of coming out with the codswallop.
Players are being a little criticised for going he is being shat upon due to all he said and "done" prior and moving there.

I'm not talking about what other people think or believe. I'm just making the point that regardless of what he comes out with, he went there simply for the insane amount of money on offer, the same as any other foreign player that has recently made the move there. In my opinion he should just be honest about that as people generally aren't as stupid as he seems to think they are.

No, they aren't.

He's a fraud; regardless of what shit he comes out with.

"He's at the back stage of his career so nobody can or should blame him for wanting to make as much money as possible, as quickly as possible."

They can.

No, they aren't.

He's a fraud; regardless of what shit he comes out with.

"He's at the back stage of his career so nobody can or should blame him for wanting to make as much money as possible, as quickly as possible."

They can.

Are you always this pendantic and annoying?

He went there to fill his pockets, the same as every other player that's moved there over the last year or so. Had he been honest about that then I highly doubt he would be getting quite the same shit he is. He certainly wouldn't be getting this attention he just put on himself. Ultimately money won over values for him, I'm not sure why you keep on disagreeing with me when I'm stating the obvious.

He went there to fill his pockets, the same as every other player that's moved there over the last year or so. Had he been honest about that then I highly doubt he would be getting quite the same shit he is. He certainly wouldn't be getting this attention he just put on himself. Ultimately money won over values for him, I'm not sure why you keep on disagreeing with me when I'm stating the obvious.
He would because of all the shit he said previously, you can't spend 5 - 10 years pushing a message and then go nah its all about the money bro without getting shat apon. It's only slightly better than the way he has gone about it. By going there he was always going to get a similar reaction

He would because of all the shit he said previously, you can't spend 5 - 10 years pushing a message and then go nah its all about the money bro without getting shat apon. It's only slightly better than the way he has gone about it. By going there he was always going to get a similar reaction

I haven't said he doesn't deserve the shit he's getting though. I just simply made the point that ultimately it was about the money and people aren't so stupid to believe the nonsense he's coming out with about wanting to put Saudi football on the map etc etc.

I haven't said he doesn't deserve the shit he's getting though. I just simply made the point that ultimately it was about the money and people aren't so stupid to believe the nonsense he's coming out with about wanting to put Saudi football on the map etc etc.
know he was already set for life but that's besides the point. I think people would have much less of an issue with it if he was just honest about it instead of coming out with the codswallop.
Thought it was this bit people are disagreeing with.

I just wish more footballers were open and honest about their motivations. I could stomach Henderson a lot more if he hadn't spent the last few years posing and instead just came out with "listen, I was pulled out of school at a young age to play football, so I'm a bit lost when it comes to politics. People should not pretend that I'm a role model, I'm a professional footballer which means I get paid to kick a ball around. This is about making enough money to set me and my family up for the rest of our lives, nothing more and nothing less."

I disagree much of what you said.... That's not pedantry.

"I think people would have much less of an issue with it if he was just honest about it instead of coming out with the codswallop."

I disagree.

I disagree.

.........And if that "annoys" you then tough shit.

"people generally aren't as stupid as he seems to think they are."

I did agree with this bit though.

I've explained above.

Thought it was this bit people are disagreeing with.

That some people would have less of an issue with it if he was at least honest about it, about his motivations?

Unless I'm missing something obvious, I really don't know how that's a statement that is so controversial or wrong.

This is about making enough money to set me and my family up for the rest of our lives, nothing more and nothing less."
I love it when footballers come out with this bullshit. As if his family are going to be living on benefits if he decided to stay in Liverpool on his 6 figure contract.

I just wish more footballers were open and honest about their motivations. I could stomach Henderson a lot more if he hadn't spent the last few years posing and instead just came out with "listen, I was pulled out of school at a young age to play football, so I'm a bit lost when it comes to politics. People should not pretend that I'm a role model, I'm a professional footballer which means I get paid to kick a ball around. This is about making enough money to set me and my family up for the rest of our lives, nothing more and nothing less."
Not sure I buy the school bit in regards to knowing right from wrong. Bloke who worked for me on a construction job got offered a shed load to work out there a while back, he turned it down it just didn't sit well with him, pretty sure hes no better educated than Jordan. Henderson is plenty smart enough he's just a hypocrite.

Last edited:
Not sure I buy the school bit in regards to knowing right from wrong. Bloke who worked for me on a construction job got offered a shed load to work out there a while back, he turned it down it just didn't sit well with him. Henderson is plenty smart enough he's just a hypocrite.
It doesnt exactly take an Oxford politics professor to tell you that homosexuals are oppressed in Saudi Arabia

Its not a simple as 'a player going to make as much money as he can before he retires'.

Henderson placed himself at the forefront of the battle for equal rights. He cast himself as a leader on behalf of minorities. All we heard was that he was the real captain of England - leading the way to stand up to injustices.

Now he's proved that it was all bollocks.

I've said it before and I'll say it again but most people can't afford morals at times. He is one of the lucky ones who can. And he's proved that he was full of shit.

More pertinent to this scenario; maybe he shouldn't have positioned himself as some leader/figurehead of social/moral issues......

We've been forced to swallow this "captain of EPL captains" horseshit for a number of years now..... "England's true captain".... All that shit is a result of his social politics clout chasing. It's not a byproduct of him being reluctantly cast as a role model.

Loads of famous people do charity shit and support causes on the down-low outside of the public eye. It can be done.

I love it when footballers come out with this bullshit. As if his family are going to be living on benefits if he decided to stay in Liverpool on his 6 figure contract.
Not sure I buy the school bit in regards to knowing right from wrong. Bloke who worked for me on a construction job got offered a shed load to work out there a while back, he turned it down it just didn't sit well with him. Henderson is plenty smart enough he's just a hypocrite.
The difference is footballers have a short career. There's absolutely no guarantee that Henderson has any sort of future in either coaching or punditry. Those are very different skills. Don't get me wrong he's made an absolute fortune and if he has spent any amount of time in his career with good advisors or money managers he should already be set up for life, but a lot of them burn through it pretty quickly trying to maintain the same lifestyle they enjoyed as a player, but without any new funds coming in.

I'm in my mid 30's and I wouldn't want to touch Qatar or S.A. or the U.A.E with a ten-foot pole either, but the majority of my career and earnings are still well ahead of me.

You didn't though... You spoke beyond that notion and THAT's the part(s) that have garnered push-back.

He's at the back stage of his career so nobody can or should blame him for wanting to make as much money as possible, as quickly as possible. I know he was already set for life but that's besides the point. I think people would have much less of an issue with it if he was just honest about it instead of coming out with this codswallop.
I'm really tired of this "secure the bag" mentality.

There's just no excuse for it. Henderson and his great grand kids' grand kid's all set for life, if they so choose.

There was no need to go to Saudi for that. It's just he (they) want to have that kind of generational wealth while also living a life of extreme excess. I have no sympathy for that shit.

The guy has plenty of principles, but all are for sale!

To be fair he's not alone, Qatar showed up quite a lot of people that before were seen as having strong progressive beliefs.

It makes it hard to take their views seriously.

Back
Top Bottom