January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we do buy a starter quality CB like Skriniar, what do we do while waiting for Toby/Dier to get injured? Are we going to spend 40m+ for a bench player?

If we drop Dier or Toby, that's gonna cause issues too.

While Rodon is not proven and experinced, we bought him for the first team with the understanding that he has the potential to step and over time be good enough to start. We must either commit or sell him.

Also, as far I'm concerned Sanchez is already past tense.

We will hopefully have a ton of games between PL. EL, FA and League Cup so we could rotate the 3 players throughout those competitions much like we do with guys like Lo Celso, Bale, Doherty/Aurier. I think after Thursday we are going to want a better CB pair than Sanchez-Tanganga in the Europa League and likely don't want Toby-Dier constantly playing weekend-midweek-weekend games all season long.

If it were say Skriniar it wouldn't necessarily be 40 million for a bench player because he would presumedly be taking over for Toby as soon as next season (if he didn't take over for him right now). With Toby's age we are going to need to replace him so I am not sure that having that replacement come in now is worse than waiting until he starts dropping off and then absolutely needing someone.

I also don't think we bought Rodon to be a first team player this year at all and if we did that is a huge risk. He can still develop with bringing a new guy.

Edit:

As some comparables to our rivals Liverpool (when healthy) has VVD-Gomez-Matip, City Laporte-Dias-Ake, Chelsea Zouma-Thiago Silva-Rudiger.

I don't think that Rodon is comparable to any of those 3rd choice options so bringing in a 3rd guy wouldn't really put us in a different spot than other clubs that seem to be able to manage just fine with their guys and minutes.

our most realistic option is to buy a high potential young player who can replae one of Dier/Toby over time. Could even end up being Rodon.

Even then, come the end of the season:

Toby = 32
Dier = 27

Tanganga = 22
Rodon = 23

(+ Sanchez = 24)
(+ Foyth = 23)

The CB position is not urgent, so we should thoroughly search the market for the high potential youth player that could one day be world class rather than a minor upgrade now.

As long as Toby & Dier are deemed a sufficient 1st choice combo for next season then yes, it's not as urgent as it may have felt this past summer. As long as Joe & Japh keep growing then we're in great shape in the medium term.

You are likely right, but I am not sure even Dier's biggest supporters can try to claim that he has been better than Toby this year, so if we brought in a top flight CB it should be at least considered that Dier may sit, but I think Jose loves him too much to care that Toby has clearly been better.

Bore off you twat.... Dier's having a good season.

Meanwhile, you're the guy who wished injury upon him.

Toby = 32 (come the end of the season)
Dier = 27 (ditto)

You do the maths......

Bore off you twat.... Dier's having a good season.

Meanwhile, you're the guy who wished injury upon him.

Toby = 32 (come the end of the season)
Dier = 27 (ditto)

You do the maths......

I have done the math and even if you think Dier is "having a good season" in which he is not, he is not better than Toby, so if a new guy came in it makes sense to play him with Toby rather than Dier.

But yes Toby is the guy that would need replacing after this season moreso than Dier if we are stuck with the idea that Dier is good enough to start for us.

But as usual you only can focus on the pathetic narrative you dream up in your head so miss the fact that even if Dier and Toby are both quality starters for us adding a third guy that is an upgrade over Rodon and Sanchez makes sense in a season in which we have a good shot at winning potentially multiple trophies and will at the very least have many games competing for them.

I have done the math

Seemingly not.

and even if you think Dier is "having a good season" in which he is not, he is not better than Toby, so if a new guy came in it makes sense to play him with Toby rather than Dier.

You're an idiot.

But yes Toby is the guy that would need replacing after this season moreso than Dier if we are stuck with the idea that Dier is good enough to start for us.

Jose > You, you twat.

Best defensive record in the league.

But as usual you only can focus on the pathetic narrative you dream up in your head so miss the fact that even if Dier and Toby are both quality starters for us adding a third guy that is an upgrade over Rodon and Sanchez makes sense in a season in which we have a good shot at winning potentially multiple trophies and will at the very least have many games competing for them.

Try punctuation. As it is I got exhausted half way through that rambling mess of a statement.

Still think PEH is shit, you muppet?

Seemingly not.

You're an idiot.

Jose > You, you twat.

Best defensive record in the league.

Try punctuation. As it is I got exhausted half way through that rambling mess of a statement.

Still think PEH is shit, you muppet?

Good to see that you can only deal in insults rather than putting together an actual real argument.

I said in my earlier post that even taking out my opinion of Dier that if you think he is a starting level CB for us that we could use a CB, then you come in and try to make it about my opinion about Dier rather that what was posted.

Just because you want to try to make it about something else doesn't mean that even if Toby and Dier are our top 2 CB's that we couldn't use a 3rd player to come in and fill the role that Sanchez was supposed to fill but seemingly can't, both because of his play on the field and because of Jose's lack of trust in him.

I never thought that PEH was shit.

Good to see that you can only deal in insults rather than putting together an actual real argument.

I've provided more than just insults.... We're just at the stage where your crappy, blinkered arse-wipe of an opinion on Dier doesn't really warrant anything else.

I said in my earlier post that even taking out my opinion of Dier that if you think he is a starting level CB for us that we could use a CB, then you come in and try to make it about my opinion about Dier rather that what was posted.

My initial post on the matter makes my position perfectly clear; however, Einstein, I'm simply debating the aspect of what you said that I disagree with.

Just because you want to try to make it about something else doesn't mean that even if Toby and Dier are our top 2 CB's that we couldn't use a 3rd player to come in and fill the role that Sanchez was supposed to fill but seemingly can't, both because of his play on the field and because of Jose's lack of trust in him.

We have Rodon & Tanganga... You'll no doubt just say they're shit too, but again.... I'd suggest Jose knows better and likely thinks otherwise.

I never thought that PEH was shit.

Liar.

Last edited:
Geezer's absolutely clueless.
One of the things I enjoy about this forum is how many people put their hands up when they were wrong about a player. Usually when done so they get praise from people who felt similar.

There are always a few though that refuse to see what everybody else can. Constantly waiting for a mistake so it can confirm what they alone knew all along. It must be draining and I can't understand what enjoyment there is in it.

I've provided more than just insults.... We're just at he stage where your crappy, blinkered arse-wipe of an opinion on Dier doesn't really warrant anything else.

My initial post on the matter makes my position perfectly clear; however, Einstein, I'm simply debating the aspect of what you said that I disagree with.

We have Rodon & Tanganga... You'll no doubt just say they're shit too, but again.... I'd suggest Jose knows better and likely thinks otherwise.

Liar.

I do not think that Rodon and Tanganga are shit I just don't think that we want to be relying on them in the PL if an injury occurs or in the later stages of the Europa League, FA Cup or League Cup if we want to avoid over playing Toby and Dier.

The point is fairly simple we came into the season with Sanchez, Dier and Toby as our top 3 CB's likely fairly comfortable with any of the 3 playing for us in the PL. Now we have seen that Sanchez has struggled and Jose (along with most fans I would say) has lost confidence in him so we could use someone to fill that role. Rodon hasn't shown that he is the guy to do it, both him and Tanganga are good development guys but in a season in which we should be competing for a title and potentially multiple trophies it makes sense to have a better option than them for the 3rd spot. With Toby also getting older it also makes sense to bring in a CB that could take over for him as well. It may be sooner than needed for that but with our early season form it might as well be a little too early than half a season too late.

Sorry that this is too hard for you to grasp and that you have to resort to pathetic insults to try and hide your lack of knowledge or ability to contribute to the discussion.

Not a liar at all, but that won't matter to you as we have repeatedly seen that the truth means nothing to you when it comes to the fantasy world you have in your mind.

One of the things I enjoy about this forum is how many people put their hands up when they were wrong about a player. Usually when done so they get praise from people who felt similar.

There are always a few though that refuse to see what everybody else can. Constantly waiting for a mistake so it can confirm what they alone knew all along. It must be draining and I can't understand what enjoyment there is in it.

What I like about the real world is that people can form opinions on what they see and evaluate rather than just saying whatever the fanbois that can't handle that everyone doesn't think that every player is super super awesome A #1 say they have to.

I do not think that Rodon and Tanganga are shit I just don't think that we want to be relying on them in the PL if an injury occurs or in the later stages of the Europa League, FA Cup or League Cup if we want to avoid over playing Toby and Dier.

The point is fairly simple we came into the season with Sanchez, Dier and Toby as our top 3 CB's likely fairly comfortable with any of the 3 playing for us in the PL. Now we have seen that Sanchez has struggled and Jose (along with most fans I would say) has lost confidence in him so we could use someone to fill that role. Rodon hasn't shown that he is the guy to do it, both him and Tanganga are good development guys but in a season in which we should be competing for a title and potentially multiple trophies it makes sense to have a better option than them for the 3rd spot. With Toby also getting older it also makes sense to bring in a CB that could take over for him as well. It may be sooner than needed for that but with our early season form it might as well be a little too early than half a season too late.

Sorry that this is too hard for you to grasp and that you have to resort to pathetic insults to try and hide your lack of knowledge or ability to contribute to the discussion.

What you're saying isn't difficult to comprehend.... Get over yourself.

Perhaps you think spending 45m on (eg) Skriniar just in case is financially viable..... It isn't.

Wrongly castigating Dier and making up crap about Jose only playing him through favouritism whist ignoring our currently excellent defensive record to trump up your case isn't a strong nor suprior argument; it's just puerile, blinkered rubbish.

If you think Rudiger, Gomez, the just relegated Ake or the CB shitshows at Utd & Woolwich are somehow a whole different level of quality depth to that which we have on our books then I guess you aren't paying close attention.

Not a liar at all, but that won't matter to you as we have repeatedly seen that the truth means nothing to you when it comes to the fantasy world you have in your mind.

Yes... You are. You also have a persecution complex and think that people calling your bullshit amounts to a conspiracy.

Your eye for a player is absolute toilet too.

What I like about the real world is that people can form opinions on what they see and evaluate rather than just saying whatever the fanbois that can't handle that everyone doesn't think that every player is super super awesome A #1 say they have to.

"Dier isn't having a good season"
"Jose only plays him through favouritism"
"PEH is a poor player"
"It's OK to wish injury upon your players"
"Levy made Jose play Stevie B as a #10 (even though he had ACTUAL CAMs on the bench) "
"It's a conspiracy..... Everyone's making shit up"

What I like about the real world is that when twats chat shit, they get called out for it..... Unfortunately for you, being behind a keyboard is no different.

What you're saying isn't difficult to comprehend.... Get over yourself.

Perhaps you think spending 45m on (eg) Skriniar just in case is financially viable..... It isn't.

Wrongly castigating Dier and making up crap about Jose only playing him through favouritism whist ignoring our currently excellent defensive record to trump up your case isn't a strong nor suprior argument; it's just puerile, blinkered rubbish.

If you think Rudiger, Gomez, the just relegated Ake or the CB shitshows at Utd & Woolwich are somehow a whole different level of quality depth to that which we have on our books then I guess you aren't paying close attention.

Yes... You are. You also have a persecution complex and think that people calling your bullshit amounts to a conspiracy.

Your eye for a player is absolute toilet too.

I don't think it has to be Skriniar or 45 m never brought up either.

And it isn't just in case, as I have pointed out with other similar teams having 3 quality CB's is normal, it was our plan going into the season with Sanchez, Dier and Toby but that has changed with Sanchez seeming to have taken a big step back.

My argument is based on Dier being considered a fine CB for us, I stated it so people like you wouldn't sidetrack the conversation as I know you always do by taking personal shots, I guess I obviously expected too much out of you.

Rudiger, Gomez and Ake are better options than Rodon and Tanganga. Rodon might end up showing more that is certainly possible but that is a big risk to take for a team with title hopes. The just relegated criticism has been repeatedly shown to be a nonsense criticism as plenty of relegated players have been key contributors to top teams so if that is the best you have to critcize them it shows how weak your argument is.

I don't have any persecution complex at all and have plenty of discussions with people without bringing it up, but when you repeatedly make stuff up about what I say or think then I will legitimately call you out on it. I have never said it was a conspiracy or that there was a conspiracy against me, that is once again you totally making stuff up like you love to do.

"Dier isn't having a good season"
"Jose only plays him through favouritism"
"PEH is a poor player"
"It's OK to wish injury upon your players"
"Levy made Jose play Stevie B as a #10 (even though he had ACTUAL CAMs on the bench) "
"It's a conspiracy..... Everyone's making shit up"

What I like about the real world is that when twats chat shit, they get called out for it..... Unfortunately for you, being behind a keyboard is no different.

LOL

Not sure what you made up fantasy comments have to do with my post.

Perhaps you quoted the wrong post.

I don't think it has to be Skriniar or 45 m never brought up either.

You don't understand what "eg" means?

How much was Ake? 40m
Stones? 50m
Maybe we can prize Mings away from Villa for a fiver. : P

You want proven, ready to go quality that can stake a claim for a staring spot; it costs.... We have HG issues too which complicates matters further.... We know that costs too.

(I cited Skriniar because a) we were previously strongly linked and b) some still cling to the idea of him coming in Jan..... Of course, you knew this, but are just trying to shit-house your way out of your own muck.)

And it isn't just in case, as I have pointed out with other similar teams having 3 quality CB's is normal, it was our plan going into the season with Sanchez, Dier and Toby but that has changed with Sanchez seeming to have taken a big step back.

My argument is based on Dier being considered a fine CB for us, I stated it so people like you wouldn't sidetrack the conversation as I know you always do by taking personal shots, I guess I obviously expected too much out of you.

So you're chatting shit on Dier so as to troll other members are you?

Rudiger, Gomez and Ake are better options than Rodon and Tanganga.

Rodon might end up showing more that is certainly possible but that is a big risk to take for a team with title hopes. The just relegated criticism has been repeatedly shown to be a nonsense criticism as plenty of relegated players have been key contributors to top teams so if that is the best you have to critcize them it shows how weak your argument is.

- Ake is barely getting a sniff at City... He's the new Delph... They paid through the nose for his HG status.
- Rudiger is nothing to be jealous of.
- Gomez has his own question marks hanging over him.
- Arse? United?

Jose CHOSE Rodon and is clearly not shy of playing him. Again; I'm sticking with the gaffa's judgement... Not yours.

I don't have any persecution complex at all and have plenty of discussions with people without bringing it up, but when you repeatedly make stuff up about what I say or think then I will legitimately call you out on it. I have never said it was a conspiracy or that there was a conspiracy against me, that is once again you totally making stuff up like you love to do.

You accuse lots of posters of doing the same thing., Tin-Hat Boy...

If we do buy a starter quality CB like Skriniar, what do we do while waiting for Toby/Dier to get injured? Are we going to spend 40m+ for a bench player?

If we drop Dier or Toby, that's gonna cause issues too.

While Rodon is not proven and experinced, we bought him for the first team with the understanding that he has the potential to step and over time be good enough to start. We must either commit or sell him.

Also, as far I'm concerned Sanchez is already past tense.
This Inter game has been dross but Skriniar has been a bit of a high point. He hasn't put a foot wrong so far.

Back
Top Bottom