January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

More confident than usual for a January that'll we'll get someone in given how we've operated under Mourinho but less convinced they will be difference makers.

In our first XI I think there are three areas to be improved upon:
- Centre back: Need quality rotation for Dier and Toby
- Centre mid: Sissoko upgrade needed, hold out for summer and Skipp's return as Hojberg cover
- RW: Productivity is letting us down there

Of the above I think the most likely signing will be in central midfield. If Jose is so set on his system it means he must know two things:
- We are FUCKED if Hojberg goes down
- Sissoko can be very easily upgraded

As mentioned I imagine he sees Skipp as the natural Hojberg cover so will most likely look for Sissoko cover/all-rounder - Sabitzer fits the bill.

I think we will stick with our centre back pack until the summer, with Rodon now eligible for Europe and more cup games to show his talents.

We have four players vying for that RW role and none have delivered to the point where we stuck Gio in there in the last game and paid the price. I think we will bet on Bale somehow finding form and hopefully we can shift a couple and upgrade there in the summer.

Better if Gedson goes back to Benfica to plat as no room in the Spurs squad. will get him off payroll but no other real difference.

Need to find a new home for Gazzaniga t, before starting on moving on some squad players to create room for incoming.

Can't see it being possible to get one more in as we need one out - candidates I guess being replacement for one of Aurier, Sanchez, Sissoko, Moura or Lamela.

Chance that Dele goes (raises cash) but not too many HG players to bring in - would still like Eze for example but doubt if he would move only 6 months after joining Palace - but not that many candidates

All upgradeable. But maybe we can't do any deals in January and we do deals in the summer.

Milenkovic for 25m would be a great signing. 6’5, mobile, composed on the ball, and just turned 23. Tons of experience already in Serie A and the Serbian national team considering his age. Him and Rodon would be quite the physical pairing.

Only slight concern would be that we could probably use a left footed center half, but I don’t think that’s the biggest deal.

Right back if we know serge is a sandwich short of a picnic and Doherty has been uninspiring unless we go to 3 at the back. May be try that against Stoke. Let’s see what he can do in his preferred position. Play Cirkin on left.

Surely we need an upgrade on sissoko. Basomma from Brighton? Get rid of some dead wood and get Saar as well. Big and powerful and reasonably skill full. Son Kane and Saar could be lethal!

If we looked at in in terms of contracts, any player ending in June 2022 only has 18 months left on the contract so its a question of letting them run down the contract in 18 months or renewing the contract soon.

Really don't see Spurs wanting to renew Aurier or Lamela's contracts (both end June 2022), so given a chance, Spurs will try to move them on in January - true also of Gazzaniga but as he's not in the EL squad he doesn't create a space.

Spurs will face the issue in the summer that Sissoko will only have 2 years left on his contract, so may be any decent offer and he goes.

But any of Autier, Lamela or Sissoko will only move if we can upgrade them I suspect - with current frequency of games I suspect we need the number of players we currently have.

Been rumours of a new contract coming for Lloris for months - expect new contracts in the summer for the youngsters we want to keep whose contracts currently end in 2022 or even 2023.

Contract Termination Dates
2021 Rose (and Gedson loan ends), Bale (one year deal)
2022 Lloris Gazzaniga Aurier, Lamela, Hart, Austin Whiteman, CCV
2023 Alderweireld, Son, Sissoko, Clarke Parrott Eyoma, Bowden, Foyth
2024 Kane Dele, Winks, Sanchez Moura, Davies Skipp, White, Dier, Doherty
2025 Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessegnon, Bergwijn Tanganga, Højbjerg, Reguilon, Rodon

Since his debut in the Everton game we are 10-2-0 when the Doc plays.
And not a single FK given away in the last minutes.

To be fair in the PL, he's started against Southampton (where he was awful), Newcastle, Burnley, Brighton and West Brom.

To be fair in the PL, he's started against Southampton (where he was awful), Newcastle, Burnley, Brighton and West Brom.
Here's Mr Aurier's appearances.
Lost to Antwerp.
He came on in the 82nd minute v Lask and we conceded 2 goals.
His FK led to WHU equaliser in the last minute.
Lost to Liverpool. Lost to Leicester. His FK led to the equaliser v CP
3 in a week let alone 5 in a season.

Back
Top Bottom