January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your question was who was Chelsea's manager at the beginning of the 15/16 season when they managed to finish tenth, I was merely answering your question pal ;)

Absolutely there's no certainty that Mourinho will give us what's required to get back up in the mix next season but here we are with him at the helm so let's see how it pans out, not much else we can do as armchair fans who occasionally head down there on a Saturday afternoon really NW. A couple of strong signings and I think we could look alright next year though. It'll be interesting to see how it goes down.

Judging what he did a United, I wouldn't give him another season. The signings made by him were poor, Bailly, Sanchez and Fred... To name but a few, and he gave big contracts to average players like Lingard, Jones and Young to name but a few The football was poor and results were generally poor and he left the club in a complete mess.

I was all for his appointment but for this season only. I see Mourinho doing for us what Allardyce did for Everton. But next season a new project needs to begin with a progressive manager.

Judging what he did a United, I wouldn't give him another season. The signings made by him were poor, Bailly, Sanchez and Fred... To name but a few, and he gave big contracts to average players like Lingard, Jones and Young to name but a few The football was poor and results were generally poor and he left the club in a complete mess.

I was all for his appointment but for this season only. I see Mourinho doing for us what Allardyce did for Everton. But next season a new project needs to begin with a progressive manager.

I can't agree with us only having Mourinho as a stop gap this season. I'm shocked someone only wants him until the end of this campaign so soon into his tenure. He'll be the manager going into next season and rightly so in my opinion. Got to give him the necessary time to get his own boys in and let's be honest, it's Jose Mourinho we'd be mad not to roll the dice on him for a year or two depending on how things go.

Because Utd prior to Mourinho were doing so well? 7th and 4th with Wayne Rooney as the main man. He did win two trophies or did you miss that?

Who said "He's been good at taking over clubs near the top and making incremental improvements for a season or two"

and then within 20 minutes

"Judging what he did a United, I wouldn't give him another season"

Either he's worth a season or two in an attempt to win something, or he's only worth six months ... make your mind up.

I thought he was quite vocal about having no input on the transfer and contract dealings of United and openly said he didn't know about Sanchez until he read it online.

I can't agree with us only having Mourinho as a stop gap this season. I'm shocked someone only wants him until the end of this campaign so soon into his tenure. He'll be the manager going into next season and rightly so in my opinion. Got to give him the necessary time to get his own boys in and let's be honest, it's Jose Mourinho we'd be mad not to roll the dice on him for a year or two depending on how things go.

I'm judging him by his last season at Chelsea where his behaviour was pretty disgraceful and it seemed like he wanted to get the sack and the pay off. And I watched a lot of United under him. They were pretty grim and he made it a not particularly enjoyed club to support.

I think many more will come around to my way of thinking by the end of the season. While he's here I want him to do well but don't want him to be able to do much damage, giving Dele a 200k a week 5 year contract for example, and brining Fellaini in.

I thought he was quite vocal about having no input on the transfer and contract dealings of United and openly said he didn't know about Sanchez until he read it online.

The way I saw it, in the last season, Woodward completely lost faith in Mourinho when it came to comings and goings, and vetoed things like Martial being sold or them massively overpaying for Alderweireld, both look good decisions now.

So a traffic cone is better than Dele, LoCelso, Moura, Ndombele, Lamela, Sissoko, Sessegnon, Winks, Skipp ... what a great contribution to TFC, can't wait for your next stellar insight.
Maybe not a traffic cone as that may be hyperbole. but a tackling dummy would definitely be an upgrade on some. You would be able to at least expect a consistent bounce, played immediately. Beyond that you would be able to rely on its positioning, it would be a reliable shield in front of the back 4 instead of behind play or easily passed. For some of those players this would be an improvement. Looking at you Dier and Dele.

And you're welcome.

Says the bloke that claims Eriksen's 134 goals and assists have been lucky because he has always been shit really but Sissoko and Dier are great.

Most people say Alli isn't playing well. Nobody's claiming Sessegnon is the new Marcelo either.

You just say stuff.
Only I’ve said he can be world class on his day. Probably where most of his good play came from eh there’s a thought.

I haven’t seen you posting his stats from this season much or saying we should build the team around him.
What changed for you in half a year if I may ask?

LOL

Anyone actually got any news instead of spouting all these depressing opinions?
We signed Gedson which should see less Dele, Eriksen is likely off which should see more Lo Celso/Lamela, Tanganga is the bollocks which means we don’t need a CB.

The rest is speculation but hopefully KWP is close to Palace but the fact we are being “reactive” would suggest no RB until that happens (Arrons?) and there’s talk of Cancelo, Piatek and Vecino.
Not sure if that’s depressing but sounds like the club are working their arses off to me.

See there's the bit. Injury or serendipity. That's not planning or smart development.

KWP was MOTM in his first start for us. Second start he got three assists. Is that not "Taking it"? You do know how development works? When you are recommending we sign Dongs for 5m from Ligue1 you realise that's the point when they are still developing right? You know that process doesn't involve giving them one or two games and if they don't look world class in those two games they are scrapped as "not taking their chance"? No, there is a development process. Coaches don't expect them to jump from academy to world class in two games. They are given the time to "develop". The last phase of which - after ten years plus of academy coaching - is to then get appearances and then some starts and then, if that isn't a disaster, maybe a run of starts - because that's where the last leg of development happens.

You know like when we buy a player like Sissoko or Aurier and it takes them 3 years to learn how to not to shit themselves on the ball or take throw ins and whatnot. That kind of process.

And then if that development goes well, those Dong's might turn into Ndombele's that we then pay 60m for not 5m.

Onomah didn't get a single game in his natural position. How is that developing him? Giving the best chance to succeed? He got 20 minutes of proper league football, with the first team, around him in three years. That's not "a chance". Edwards got 15 minutes of LC football. While we watch a fucking plankton like Sissoko play hand grenade every week for three years. Moura the human pinball. KWP three starts a season while Aurier fucks about making Timothy Atouba look safe.

And now we are linked with a 28yo meh CM, rather than giving someone like Skipp a "chance" who by the way has also taken his chances to date pretty well.

I wouldn't mind if you were telling me world class players had been blocking the chances and development of some of these kids with decent potential, and that we are much better off without risking them, but we've spend three years watching fucking clowns out there while not just our football, but our energy and pressing all tank. If nothing else, some of these kids could have at least provided some much needed energy, whilst all least providing some rotation for the senior players to cope with Pochettino's methods.
Im sorry but KWP is shit, and i very rarely say that about one of our players, against tough opposition he has almost always been found out

Not sure if that’s depressing but sounds like the club are working their arses off to me.
As we prepare to go into another important premier league game without a recognised striker, it sounds more like another window where the spreadsheet trumps the football team..
Looking for that risk free bargain here and there to paper over the cracks.
Tbf, it's probably why we're where we are today if you think about it.

As we prepare to go into another important premier league game without a recognised striker, it sounds more like another window where the spreadsheet trumps the football team..
Looking for that risk free bargain here and there to paper over the cracks.
Tbf, it's probably why we're where we are today if you think about it.

If there are not any quality strikers available; what is the club to do? Do you want to sign a good striker; or will anyone do?

If we sign somebody; it is likely they will want a 4 year + contract. If they are proven; they will want 100k+ a week. Once Harry is back, they will get limited game time.

With Moura, Son, Lamela and Alli we have players that can play up top. However; we lack a real aerial threat + strength and muscle. This restricts our playing style and will make opposing teams defensive preparations rather straight forward. .....I've got it.....Play DIer as striker!!!

If we can't get a goal scorer; I'd like us get a player who can be a real nuisance. Keep the defenders busy and bully them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom