January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely we have to be in for Gabriel Barbosa? 20m for a 23 year old with bags of potential and Kane out for 2 months. Especially with Eriksen now going the other way?

Hes just won a libertadores and is ripe for Europe.
He MASSIVELY failed at Inter though, so I would guess that's what is keeping clubs away from making a move for him. As you said, he was incredible at Flamengo, but I would much rather prefer a Cavani or a Paco Alcacer than take chances on a Gabigol...

He MASSIVELY failed at Inter though, so I would guess that's what is keeping clubs away from making a move for him. As you said, he was incredible at Flamengo, but I would much rather prefer a Cavani or a Paco Alcacer than take chances on a Gabigol...

Massively failed?

He started 1 game. And it came in the cup.

So he was so bad he didn’t even play, could be the argument.

I mean Harry Kane could barely get in a Leicester City team competing in the Championship at his age.

Anyone who scores 43 goals and gets 11 assists in 59 games is probably worth a loan (or transfer at a reasonable price) - especially one as highly rated as Gabigol

I mean Harry Kane could barely get in a Leicester City team competing in the Championship at his age.

Anyone who scores 43 goals and gets 11 assists in 59 games is probably worth a loan (or transfer at a reasonable price) - especially one as highly rated as Gabigol

He moved to Italy a bit too young IMO. Hes now established in brazil and scored 50 odd over 2 seasons and 23, nows the time for the step up.

He moved to Italy a bit too young IMO. Hes now established in brazil and scored 50 odd over 2 seasons and 23, nows the time for the step up.
Agreed. Youth players either need to move real early so they adapt to the country and culture and develop the "domestic" way. Or move once they have a few seasons of first team football in them from back home. Too many move when they are in between those two and end up stuck and have to move back home to regroup.

All entirely reasonable. Do you think that would be enough to keep him from the clutches of a German club?

Providing the club shows him (and his agent) that he is being progressed and paid reasonably even if not on Chelsea/ManCity levels

Biggest risk imo is if Spurs continue the policy over the last 5 years of almost no loans and minimal development of other youth players - he is 17 so will be able to judge if the likes of Tanganga (20), Roles (20) Skipp (19) and up and coming CMs (both 18) White and Bowden and LB Cirkin ,(also 18) are being treated well and developed appropriately ( or his agent wil). Spurs have already lost potential stars out of that kind of age group (eg former u16 captain and England star Noni Mandueke who went to PSV as there was no obvious path to first team. The next year of creating a far better 18-21 year old development strategy with loans (suitably staffed and monitored etc) is key to retaining players like Parrott. Particularly with Chelsea giving meaningful playing time to perhaps a dozen of their academy products this season - so a new standard set

ENYRlfKWkAkzI6w

I can't get some contract extensions :vert::eriksenlol:

I was listening to this podcast last night, and I have to say that I am somewhat alarmed by this story. It's not just his age; it's also the fact that I have watched sooo much of Chelsea this season (because I see them as our main rival for a CL spot), and I don't rate him in terms of his creativity. Would he be bring more to the table than Moura or Sissoko? Yes, but I'd still like to aim a little bit higher than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom