January 2013 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Squads have limits, and the best squads are very finely balanced. When that balance is thrown out it can be a detrimental thing.

Dempsey plays virtually when fit. Sigurdsson is currently trying to earn his spot on the roster. We have Holtby to add to the mix. That to me shows a lot of strength in depth.

Sneijder would be an instant 100% guaranteed starter. He wouldnt have to earn his spot, its a given. If thats the case, what happens to the 3 we already have? He wouldnt be rotated in and out, he wouldnt be played out of position - not a player of that calibre and cost. So the others would be the ones to compromise.

So the team imediately is stronger, no question, but what about the long term when these players jump ship for regular football? What of the squad? Flexibility in selection/rotation?

Once again, I reiterate, Im not saying dont sign Sneijder, or that he wouldnt improve the side. Im simply saying there is a concern for me about wider implications.

The link posted in the Independant to Willian, however, stacks up much better - introduce a player that covers either wing as well as the AM position? Thats makes a lot of sense for the team and squad IMO, his flexibility means he offers cover to players and competition rather than simply ousting them to the bench.

I'm not gunning for his signing, I think his wage demands will be too much, I'm just saying your argument of "Don't sign this good player because we have loads of worse players instead" is flawed..

I'm not gunning for his signing, I think his wage demands will be too much, I'm just saying your argument of "Don't sign this good player because we have loads of worse players instead" is flawed..

Thats not what Im saying, is it?

There is a big difference between "worse players" and "worse players but still very high quality", especially when we are talking about an area of the squad that is hardly weak.

On balance I think Dempsey, Sigurdsson and Holtby is a first class pool to choose from. Excellent strength in depth and potential to get better and better. Im not sure one excellent player is worth jeapordising that talented area of the squad for.

If I had to choose between Sneijder or those 3, I think I would choose the group and not the individual.

Now talking strikers, thats different. We have only two, one of which is in very poor form and the other is arguably not suited to the direction we are taking. If someone really talented was available but it would put Defoes nose out of joint I wouldnt be so bothered. Natural selection runs through and Im fine with that, predominantly because its an area where we really really need to improve.

Throwing that situation at an area where we are already strong seems pointless to me, our efforts are needed elsewhere.

I suppose it wouldn't be so much of an issue if we hadn't just bought Sigg and Dempsey. If they'd been here a few years people would be happier to see one (or both) of them go in return for better players.

There is a big difference between "worse players" and "worse players but still very high quality"

No there isn't, Better - Worse, it's black and white, worse doesn't mean not good, it means not as good as the other tangible.

I'm not talking about our squad, try to be retrospective for a second.
The argument of not buying a stronger player, because we have multiple worse players in the same position is flawed.

Simple.

I suppose it wouldn't be so much of an issue if we hadn't just bought Sigg and Dempsey. If they'd been here a few years people would be happier to see one (or both) of them go in return for better players.

I'm already happy to see both of them go. I don't like to get on the back of players trying to make the grade, but don't see that either is of the calibre required, possibly Sigg given time but the Deuce is too old to improve to the required standard. I see them as blocking the development of young players. poor signings of the Pienaar kind - good at clubs with less strength in depth. Out of their depth with us.

So I for one would be happy to see these positions improved upon.

I'm already happy to see both of them go. I don't like to get on the back of players trying to make the grade, but don't see that either is of the calibre required, possibly Sigg given time but the Deuce is too old to improve to the required standard. I see them as blocking the development of young players. poor signings of the Pienaar kind - good at clubs with less strength in depth. Out of their depth with us.

So I for one would be happy to see these positions improved upon.

Agreed, they both make Van Der Vaart look like some kind of god king. :vdvcry:

Someday Harry will learn that the best way to get a sell on bung is to not hang a huge wages chain around a player's neck. You don't get 10% of what you can't sell, friendo.

The swindle is to sign a player on high wages elsewhere on the same deal at his current club and the selling club gives him a bung for shifting on a liability - doesn't matter if the player is injured as long as the doctor doing the medical can be bought.

Please see Paolo Futre and Florin Raducioiu.

Agreed, they both make Van Der Vaart look like some kind of god king. :vdvcry:
I loved VDV but he had his fair share of shit games for us. And that's before considering his semi-annual spells on the sidelines for hamstring injuries, and tendency to run out of gas in the 70th minute.

Back
Top Bottom