January 2013 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Having said that, I have a nagging feeling Willian might turn out to be a bit of a flop, and £20 million is a lot to spend on a player only proven in Ukraine with 2 international caps. Little bit risky. What happened to the Belhanda rumours, he might be an option

Willian is the best AM in the entire Brazil system (better than Oscar, Ganso, Kaka, etc), he is stuck at 2 caps only because the Brazilian clubs pressure the federation into not calling up players who leave young for Eastern European cash - trying to keep those players at home.

Willian isn't just "proven in Ukraine". He's boat raced the CL for several years running now. He's a legitimately world class AM, and if we have any chance at getting him we should bite Shakhtar's arm off to get it.

My point is Dempsey looks our player most likely to score at the moment.Is Willian better than him? Possibly but it's a huge punt to spend twenty million on. If we are going to spend twenty million on a player it should be a striker. If Van Persie played for us we win that game today.

Andre Villas-Boas: Tottenham need another striker in January transfer window

“We are in the same position as we were at the start of the season, when [Emmanuel] Adebayor was injured,” he said. “We went six or seven games with Clint [Dempsey] and [Jermain] Defoe up front who built a very good partnership as you saw in the match against Man United.

“Obviously it’s a difficult situation but that doesn’t mean that we won’t do anything in the transfer market. We are also aware of the risk that it entails though, so we’ll just have to be careful.”

Clint Dempsey’s last-minute equaliser gained Spurs a point against the league leaders but Villas-Boas went on state that the result will mean nothing if they do not impress in their next two Premier League fixtures.

“The least we deserved was a point. It’s always important against the big teams to get results but it’s against the other teams in the league that you can sometimes lose your way.

“This point will mean nothing if we can’t get wins against Norwich and West Brom. We need to continue to get results and put ourselves where we want to be at the end of the season.”

Willian is the best AM in the entire Brazil system (better than Oscar, Ganso, Kaka, etc), he is stuck at 2 caps only because the Brazilian clubs pressure the federation into not calling up players who leave young for Eastern European cash - trying to keep those players at home.

Willian isn't just "proven in Ukraine". He's boat raced the CL for several years running now. He's a legitimately world class AM, and if we have any chance at getting him we should bite Shakhtar's arm off to get it.
Willian is a good player, but it would be a risky signing, and I don't know whether he's worth £20 million. That's just my opinion. What is more clear-cut is that we definately need a striker, and if we've got £20 million to spend, I'd rather it were on a striker than Willian

I'd agree that a £20m striker is far more important than a £20m CAM, but I feel like Willian would be great for us. But if it came down to being able to get Willian, I don't think having Dempsey or Siggy should stop us.

My point is Dempsey looks our player most likely to score at the moment.Is Willian better than him? Possibly but it's a huge punt to spend twenty million on. If we are going to spend twenty million on a player it should be a striker. If Van Persie played for us we win that game today.

If Dempsey was such a goal scorer we would have won today, there's lots of tangibles, just dropping in a striker doesn't make our whole team wonderful and solve every problem we have, we will still struggle to break down teams even with the Rapist or who ever, it's a team sport.

Our team needs to become more creative and get better at exploiting space. It's a new system it will take time

I'd agree that a £20m striker is far more important than a £20m CAM, but I feel like Willian would be great for us. But if it came down to being able to get Willian, I don't think having Dempsey or Siggy should stop us.

Finally someone else see's sense, I'm not going delusional so

Why does this keep coming up, what is ingrained in our minds that we are so concerned about who misses out. If a player is better than what we already have, we shouldn't not sign him just because we have numbers there. I really can't get my head around this mentality and it keeps coming up.

To start, i would love to see Willian or any other player, better then what we have already, come in. But I think you are misunderstanding things. Bringing in Willian would be awesome, Bringing in a £20 million striker who can be our number one striker would also be great. What is better, Willian over Lennon or Dempsey and basically killing Siggy's career, or a striker coming in and converting many of the chances and having JD and Ade play a little less? I'm taking the latter. This "mentality" is not that people don't want to bring other's in that would take current member's spots, it's that there are holes in our current squad that the money could be used better for.

To start, i would love to see Willian or any other player, better then what we have already, come in. But I think you are misunderstanding things. Bringing in Willian would be awesome, Bringing in a £20 million striker who can be our number one striker would also be great. What is better, Willian over Lennon or Dempsey and basically killing Siggy's career, or a striker coming in and converting many of the chances and having JD and Ade play a little less? I'm taking the latter. This "mentality" is not that people don't want to bring other's in that would take current member's spots, it's that there are holes in our current squad that the money could be used better for.

I never said Willian over a striker, I actually never said sign Willian, I just said this mentality about being concerned about how much game time a player will have after a new arrival is just stupid. If a player wants to play he needs to prove it in training, AVB has shown if you impress you play, so signing someone like Willian doesn't mean Sig will never play again, he controls his own destiny.

Just to clear things up, I am not anti-Lennon, Sig or Dempsey, I'm not Willian > Striker.

I'm just trying to say the logic some people are using to justify or snub signings doesn't actually make sense.

As for Willian vs a Striker
tumblr_mb13fhdDM71qkj0bo.jpg

I never said Willian over a striker, I actually never said sign Willian, I just said this mentality about being concerned about how much game time a player will have after a new arrival is just stupid. If a player wants to play he needs to prove it in training, AVB has shown if you impress you play, so signing someone like Willian doesn't mean Sig will never play again, he controls his own destiny.

Just to clear things up, I am not anti-Lennon, Sig or Dempsey, I'm not Willian > Striker.

I'm just trying to say the logic some people are using to justify or snub signings doesn't actually make sense.

As for Willian vs a Striker
tumblr_mb13fhdDM71qkj0bo.jpg

I agree, but the argument most people use is incomplete. What they're aren't saying is that money should be spent on the holes in our squad rather then areas we are good in. Good to Great or Decent to great? Those are the two options i see. Again, i'm taking the latter.

Why don't we have both? We aren't chelski, we can't afford 2 £20 million players at the same time.

For January i say:
bring in Holtby now, i'm not expecting him to be brought in till January 31.
I say Look seriously into David Villa.
If there isn't a WC striker, then bring in Willian.
Bring in Altidore (assuming he is cheap, someone said £3 million)

Why don't we have both? We aren't chelski, we can't afford 2 £20 million players at the same time.

That was a joke

For January i say:
bring in Holtby now, i'm not expecting him to be brought in till January 31.
I say Look seriously into David Villa.
If there isn't a WC striker, then bring in Willian.
Bring in Altidore (assuming he is cheap, someone said £3 million)

David Villa, no chance, Altidore no thanks.

You don't get world class players easily in Jan, I wouldn't get your hopes up, Willian is only on the cards because he is pushing for a move, and if he's available I say we snatch him up, he is a quality quality player and our team will only benefit from him.

Id prefer we went for Soldado than Negredo... If hes available
Soldado is not available. He rejected us in the summer and just signed a 3 year contract extension that expires in 2017. He even said in the summer that he wants to retire with Valencia. Sorry, no chance, although he'd be a perfect fit.

I don't know why you guys are dismissing Moutinho. He is still on the top of my want list, even with Holtby coming in. Think about it, we could have Dembele and Holtby holding with Willian behind the striker, or we could have Dembele and Moutinho holding and Holtby roaming behind the striker. I think having Moutinho is exactly what we need, his passing is exceptional and he is solid defensively. A Dembele, Holtby, and Moutinho midfield would also allow AVB to play his 4-3-3 that he prefers.

My ideal scenario would be bringing in Moutinho, Holtby, and I really want Wilfried Bony. He'd be perfect for us and isn't too expensive. Realistically, I would be happy with just Holtby and a striker. Moutinho would just be a bonus.

With Lennon's form over this season I think Willian is an extravagant and wasteful expense. We want someone to nip at Lennon's heels and push him to perform at the level that we all know that he's capable of, and to provide cover. That's not Willian.

Put it this way. Is it worth spending 20m on Lennon's replacement (let's not be naive, Willian would push Lennon out of the first team) when Lennon is already performing at a top level?

Considering where we are at the moment, that money should go to a top striker 9 times out of 10, with the remainder going to a promising young right winger like Hoilett (assuming QPR get relegated), that will threaten Lennon's place in the team and push him to consistently perform, but not be 20m down the toilet as a replacement for a player that doesn't need replacing.

Back
Top Bottom