January 2013 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wasn't there a letter after the summer explaining the transfer window? Maybe I dreamt it :)

I think it's true that the same names crop up, even AvB mentioned Leandro & we've been after him since the Great Fire of London or something .

Around as long as United have been after Sneijder, or Chelsea were after Pep.

I wonder how long Woolwich will be after Cavani for :bentley:

Yeah. From the top of my head Falcao to Chelsea, De Rossi to MC, Lewandowski to MU...

and that's just what you are picking up from the press........every club has their Zzzzzzset claiming to have inside info which fuels the fire

and where we have minor gripes about Levy not chucking £££'s around holding us back imagine all the conspiracy theories coming from clubs like Woolwich, Liverpool or Newcastle where they've actually regressed - our fortunes are still very much on an upward curve and yet people still whine and bitch.

I long for the old days where you had to buy The News of the World to see what the transfer rumours are. This is the first window where I have been patient (or at least not actively seeking transfer news) and decided to not to allow my expectations or hope to exceed the realism that is more likely to occur, anything after that is a bonus.

Expounded on this a month or two ago. He's exactly the type of signing that 95% of this forum would have rioted over. One season at the bottom of La Liga? I can hear the bitching right now...
Not to mention he's a bit off the boil now, too. His early season form was simply unsustainable, and who knows what's in store for him once teams start seeing him a second time. He was quite the Woolwich killer, don't forget, until for whatever reason he didn't even figure in the FA Cup replay…

My bosses set me targets. If I achieve them their natural response is not 'well done Simon' - they want more, they must have made the targets too easy...

Levy is probably the same... I'm not suggesting he is demanding a top two finish, but considering our league position and the fact that we haven't been at our best for large parts, possibly that we can get top 3-4 without the £20/30/40mil expenditure that has been suggested.

I can't honestly say I'm expecting any big signings, I'm actually quite happy that our minor signings are of the quality that they appear to be. The reality is, although fans of other clubs consistently go on about the hundreds of millions we spend on players, we can all see that our nett spend is invariably on or around nothing. I don't think that this is a 'happy coincidence', more that the club wants to balance the books in the short term so that they'll be balanced in the long term. It's a long process (1 in, 2 out...), but when you consider the overall improvement to the squad over the last 5 years or so I think we are a good example of how to run a football club. The difficulty now, is that to move forward we want to be buying the 20-30mil players - the Mouts and Willians of the world and we don't have enough Nikos and Charlies to offset against this. Regular CL football is the next milestone, but I don't necessarily see the board gambling that sort of money to get us there. Rather, keep with the programme, because it has brought us this far...

At the start of the season many were saying that this was going to be Evertons year, what with Fellaini, Jelavic, Baines et al. They do have some good players in there. However, from a spurs fans point of view it is easy to see how thin their squad is. They have a good 11, that's it really. Last season we had a good 15, maybe 18 and we still ran out of steam. I think that we are probably at about the same level (though maybe with a little less quality, VDV, Rat Face), I hope that AVBs arrival will bring about more of a structure to our 1st team so that we can maximise the players we have...

I know, I know... Didn't read... Me neither.

:baletroll:

Worth a punt, if only to wind up Woolwich, but they'll never loan to us...

Reports in France this morning confirm that Lyon have offered playmaker Yoann Gourcuff to English clubs due to financial problems.
L’Equipe claim Gourcuff has been offered to clubs in England, Spain and Turkey with Woolwich tipped to make an offer for the Frenchman.
Woolwich boss Arsene Wenger has previously shown interest in the 26-year-old midfielder and L’Equipe suggest today that the Gunners could make their move in the final days of the transfer window.
Gourcuff joined Lyon from Bordeaux for 22.3 million euros in 2010 and up until now has not shown any desire to leave the club.
The French international started for Lyon in their 0-0 draw with Evian on Friday night. Gourcuff was booked and substituted just after the hour.
A loan move for Gourcuff would also impact Woolwich’s north London rivals Tottenham who play Lyon in the next round of the Europa League.

I'm strangely saddened that Norwich have put so much extra spotlight on Hooper by bidding for him this week. I was half-hoping we'd make a cheeky under-the-radar bid for him and he'd turn out to be the star No.9 we've wanted for an age.

I'm strangely saddened that Norwich have put so much extra spotlight on Hooper by bidding for him this week. I was half-hoping we'd make a cheeky under-the-radar bid for him and he'd turn out to be the star No.9 we've wanted for an age.

I had the same hope for Danny Graham :klinsmann:

Worth a punt, if only to wind up Woolwich, but they'll never loan to us...

Reports in France this morning confirm that Lyon have offered playmaker Yoann Gourcuff to English clubs due to financial problems.
L’Equipe claim Gourcuff has been offered to clubs in England, Spain and Turkey with Woolwich tipped to make an offer for the Frenchman.
Woolwich boss Arsene Wenger has previously shown interest in the 26-year-old midfielder and L’Equipe suggest today that the Gunners could make their move in the final days of the transfer window.
Gourcuff joined Lyon from Bordeaux for 22.3 million euros in 2010 and up until now has not shown any desire to leave the club.
The French international started for Lyon in their 0-0 draw with Evian on Friday night. Gourcuff was booked and substituted just after the hour.
A loan move for Gourcuff would also impact Woolwich’s north London rivals Tottenham who play Lyon in the next round of the Europa League.
Ah, Gourcuff. The former next Zidane… Much as I hate the French national team, I was especially irritated that Gourcuff hasn't had a chance to really shine. But it reaches a point where is the question "why doesn't he shine?" or should it be "is he maybe just not that good?"

Lyon spunked huge bringing him over from Bordeaux, and, well… Now watch him perpetrate a Valentine's Day massacre at WHL.

Ah, Gourcuff. The former next Zidane… Much as I hate the French national team, I was especially irritated that Gourcuff hasn't had a chance to really shine. But it reaches a point where is the question "why doesn't he shine?" or should it be "is he maybe just not that good?"

Lyon spunked huge bringing him over from Bordeaux, and, well… Now watch him perpetrate a Valentine's Day massacre at WHL.

Agree completely. He is one of those players who you think is one transfer away from being a star. I wouldn't be averse to him joining Spurs, though.

Sounds like a typical Woolwich signing.

Back
Top Bottom