Jan Vertonghen broke me

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why? I don't give a fuck why. The guys is making a shit ton of money, he should be motivated by that alone.

Now over here in Chicago we have a player that saw his teammate and super star go down with a second consecutive season ending injury and then our front office trade his best friend and long time teammate in an attempt to shed money and tank for a draft pick. Instead of sulking, he's putting up career numbers and put the team on his back. What I wouldn't give for a player like Joakim Noah on Tottenham.

Noah's passion is everything I'd like to see in a Spurs kit.

I agree with this, they need to make sure they don't stand for bad reasons though (walking off straight after a win, looking unfazed after giving away a lead). Not saying that that isn't perhaps what he's like normally, but you sometimes have to put in a little extra to make a point, y'know?
yep

i know passion isnt everything and not everyone can have the care that someone like daws shows but for god sake these players arent 4th division players they are internationals so they are not shit!

i just want to see a bit more from them thats all

Regardless of how shit everyone else is he shouldn't be playing Left back. Especially in the big games.
I know it's no excuse for his recent attitude but goes some way to explaining it.

Regardless of how shit everyone else is he shouldn't be playing Left back. Especially in the big games.
I know it's no excuse for his recent attitude but goes some way to explaining it.
but who else would you trust to put there? i agree he should be centre back all day long but who would you stick there that has not already been there this season and ballsed it up

but who else would you trust to put there? i agree he should be centre back all day long but who would you stick there that has not already been there this season and ballsed it up
If I had to throw someone in there then I suppose it would have to be Fryers.
I don't see the benefit of weakening your entire defence by playing your best defender out of position. At least be as strong as possible through the middle. The winger can easily drop in to aid a vulnerably left back, as much to do with basic tactics than anything else.

If I had to throw someone in there then I suppose it would have to be Fryers.
I don't see the benefit of weakening your entire defence by playing your best defender out of position. At least be as strong as possible through the middle. The winger can easily drop in to aid a vulnerably left back, as much to do with basic tactics than anything else.
true i thought fryer did ok at left back. just annoyed that it was glowing obvious we needed a left back but did not get one

You do know that BAE spent the majority of last season injured?

I don't get why you keep referring to Bale, do you also realise he hasn't been a left back since something like 2009?

Additionally, Dawson & Kaboul have been at the club for a long time, so nothing new or unexpected there. Saying that no one is solid or fit is daft as Vertonghen has been neither this season too.

"He's never looked happy. Period."

Really?

jan-vertonghen_2274855b.jpg
Jan-Vertonghen-1755072.jpg

Jan+Vertonghen.jpg

Could go on forever with "First Season Jan" happy pics.

I actually almost don't recognise him in those pics

not so much the mistake anyone can do that but its just his general attitude that stinks

Trying not to judge him on it, but if it were Dawson who said it then I'd be thinking that there were a certain lack of spirit in what he's saying.

I don't know. I just hope he does well tomorrow and Sunday to make up for it.

agree i know it sounds like i am knocking him but im really not. Last season he was brilliant put in a shift and showed some passion but this season its like he has given up

tomorrow and sunday will show us all where his head is at i think

What is the real story about Vertonghen. Vertonghen someone all of us have put a lot of emotion into. We were excited when he joined and looked forward to a long association of goals, great defending, someone to replace Ledley as a rock of the back.
Forward to today we feel cheated, dumped from what is implied as someone disinterested, grumpy and someone who wants to leave.
He wants CL football, well go to Shaktar, Basel, Porto, Olymapakis cause is he really displaying for Germany, Spanish CL Teams - no and we ain't gonna sell to EPL top 4.

What is the real story about Vertonghen. Vertonghen someone all of us have put a lot of emotion into. We were excited when he joined and looked forward to a long association of goals, great defending, someone to replace Ledley as a rock of the back.
Forward to today we feel cheated, dumped from what is implied as someone disinterested, grumpy and someone who wants to leave.
He wants CL football, well go to Shaktar, Basel, Porto, Olymapakis cause is he really displaying for Germany, Spanish CL Teams - no and we ain't gonna sell to EPL top 4.

We might be reading too much into it.

When I read that "Vertonghen does not want to respond to Mourinho's words" or whatever the headline was, I hate to say I instantly thought "trying to flirt with the CL teams..." I'm sure I completely misinterpreted it, but I can't shake off this feeling it's edging closer to spurs + vertonghen, and he won't want to take responsibility for the season's disappointments.

Also, to be clear, there's probably more players like that, which I think is what Tim was implying.

If its CL football he's after then he can f**k right off. And if he keeps playing like this he'll be lucky grtting a start for our shower of shite. I'm sick to the back teeth with f**king CL football. I miss our relegation battles;)

IMO we're a EL team till we supposidy build a new stadium. I'm fine with that.

If its CL football he's after then he can f**k right off. And if he keeps playing like this he'll be lucky grtting a start for our shower of shite. I'm sick to the back teeth with f**king CL football. I miss our relegation battles;)

IMO we're a EL team till we supposidy build a new stadium. I'm fine with that.
As a fan I don't like to tread water and stay in mediocrity. I want our team to play CL again and I don't blame our players for wanting this too!!

As a fan I don't like to tread water and stay in mediocrity. I want our team to play CL again and I don't blame our players for wanting this too!!

As I said in another thread, I impart some of the blame onto Harry Redknapp for making us think we were capable of CL football and title challenges, then spending the next two seasons fucking that up, the opposition got stronger (so much so that our most points in the PL wasn't enough to break top four) and we're all left bitter and twisted about it all.

If someone gave me the chance to go into a world where Redknapp never happened, I don't know what I'd do - In reality, we won nothing and all we gained was a unrealistic expectation that resurfaces every season

:paulinhobored:

Last edited:
As I said in another thread, I impart some of the blame onto Harry Redknapp for making us think we were capable of CL football and title challenges, then spending the next two seasons fucking that up, the opposition got stronger (so much so that our most points in the PL wasn't enough to break top four) and we're all left bitter and twisted about it all.

If someone gave me the chance to go into a world where Redknapp never happened, I don't know what I'd do - In reality, we won nothing and all we gained was a unrealistic expectation that resurfaces every season

:paulinhobored:

Sort of agree. We got a taste and starting thinking we were sort of entitled to it. The way the Lane has turned into a shithole full of fans thinking were should win week in week out tells me this.

We simply don't have the funds to compete until we build a bigger stadium. We've had a few good years now were, in my opinion we've punched above our weight. Without Bale and Liverpool now looking like a force again. I personally think we can forget about CL football for quite some time to come.

At the end of the day most of Jans misery is caused by the club not listening to him about getting a left back last season. We ended up with a player previously only good enough to go on loan.

IMO Rose, Fryers and Naughton are OBVIOUSLY not top 4 quality. So why play them at all in the prem? It's wasting time and energy on players when Capoue and Vlad were fit under AVB. The only way I see it, is if we play Van Gaal style with 3 at the back until we get reinforcements at the back next summer.

I would rather see that and an extra DM on the pitch like Capoue or Vlad than have a flank that is wide open. And we need backup for Walker too.

And the funny thing is, it's all because the tv zoomed on him and it's pretty much

At the end of the day most of Jans misery is caused by the club not listening to him about getting a left back last season. We ended up with a player previously only good enough to go on loan.

IMO Rose, Fryers and Naughton are OBVIOUSLY not top 4 quality. So why play them at all in the prem? It's wasting time and players like Capoue, Vlad etc have had stop start confused roles. The only way I see it, is if we play Van Gaal style with 3 at the back until we get reinforcements at the back next summer.
Thats true everyone in the whole world could see we needed a left back apart from the spurs management team....agree Rose, Fryers and Naughton are championship quality at best..harsh but fair although naughton has never really been given a run at rightback just 1 or 2 games here and there but you wouldnt drop walker.

3 at the back could work but who would you trust to play left wingback?

Back
Top Bottom