James Maddison

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

i hear that, but as a #10 he needs players in front of him to work with. hes dealing with utter shit in front of him. if he had a competent front 3 and was doing nothing id agree. i think hes passionate about the game. its hard for him to look good when hes working with utter crap. its different for the defenders as they have a decent keeper behind them and a decent enough midfield in front of them. the midfield have a very poor front line to try and get things going with.

hes not gareth bale where he can burst past players and bang a ball in, hes a footballer that likes to play, you can only do that if you have quality around you.
wait you're actually blaming Maddisons lack of defensive contribution and his non existent 'creativity' on the attackers?

maddison is to blame for the team being shit defensively?
absolutely.
He's not helping out the other 2 midfielders thus they are being exposed to 3vs2 battles that they are continuously losing and every one of them look shit for it.

Its absolutely no coincidence that Bentancurs form has nose dived since Maddison has come back into the team (have a look at how Bentancur played vs Villa and United when Madddion wasn't around) and the other 2 midfielders (sarr and bissouma) have looked lesser versions of themselves as well.

I bet if he's taken out the team at least 2 of them will look good to very good again.

absolutely.
He's not helping out the other 2 midfielders thus they are being exposed to 3vs2 battles that they are continuously losing and every one of them look shit for it.

Its absolutely no coincidence that Bentancurs form has nose dived since Maddison has come back into the team (have a look at how Bentancur played vs Villa and United when Madddion wasn't around) and the other 2 midfielders (sarr and bissouma) have looked lesser versions of themselves as well.

I bet if he's taken out the team at least 2 of them will look good to very good again.
so youre saying hes standing about doing fuck all when its his turn to put pressure on the ball etc?

ill have to watch out for it next time, havent really been paying attention to him in terms of defending. didnt he jar his knee earlier in the season getting stuck into someone? or maybe that was him with the ball i cant remember!

he cant be any worse than the captain who offers fuck all! might sprint to close a distance but thats all hell do, hell put the breaks on before actually getting into a dual! all for show

i hear that, but as a #10 he needs players in front of him to work with. hes dealing with utter shit in front of him. if he had a competent front 3 and was doing nothing id agree. i think hes passionate about the game. its hard for him to look good when hes working with utter crap. its different for the defenders as they have a decent keeper behind them and a decent enough midfield in front of them. the midfield have a very poor front line to try and get things going with.

hes not gareth bale where he can burst past players and bang a ball in, hes a footballer that likes to play, you can only do that if you have quality around you.
I agree with this. From box to box we are decent but not enough up top with any of our front three. All our front players don’t offer enough to be a top team.
Sonny - on the way down,timid and can’t play with his back to goal. As a 9 he’s not brave enough and doesn’t get between the posts enough to sniff out chances. Will still produce but needs to be an impact player next season so definitely worth having around.

Richy- not good enough,just barges about and will hit wee hot spells but his overall game is pretty poor. Not great at anything and not quick enough to trouble decent defences.

Werner - something there but will let you down more than he produces because he can’t finish and goes through spells of looking dangerous then full of fear within minutes. We need brave wide players who are clinical. Don’t sign.

Johnson - enigma. Don’t ever know what we will get from him. Has no self confidence even when he’s going through a very good spell. His face when he makes mistakes shows that. Most of the time he’s 5 yards off the press but on the off occasion he’s up for it. We need miles more from £50 million player. Not clinical either and won’t score anything other than tap ins. We need a lot more from wide players.
Slowest fast player I’ve ever seen. Doesn’t want to use his main attribute enough.

Kulusevski- don’t know where to start with him. Up till today he’s been a disaster for about 6 weeks. I thought he looked back to his best today but we can’t wait 6 weeks for a player to be on form if we are to challenge for anything. He doesn’t score enough for a wide player and doesn’t mix his game up enough because he’s capable of going on his right and crossing or shooting because we’ve seen him do it.

I see all of these players as subs next season and hopefully the manager sees that too because these guys will only make us stagnate if they are first 11 players.

For us to get the best of Maddison we need clever players that can link the game with him as he will find the pass. All out front players are straight line players who can’t come in and play one twos,interchange with each other and create something out of nothing. That’s the type of front players we need when we play against low blocks because it’s difficult to get in behind.

Our recruitment in the summer must be spot on regarding signing front players. If not we will still be here next season in the same position. Its not our only problem but its one that changes the whole dynamic of the team.

absolutely.

Disagree with that. He works as hard as any of the midfielders. He’s pressing higher up and if the opposition get through that then obviously the other two are left in 3v2. When it comes to the press I think the two wide players are always 5 yards off the press and teams can get out too easy. To just blame madders is too easy.

I agree with this. From box to box we are decent but not enough up top with any of our front three. All our front players don’t offer enough to be a top team.
Sonny - on the way down,timid and can’t play with his back to goal. As a 9 he’s not brave enough and doesn’t get between the posts enough to sniff out chances. Will still produce but needs to be an impact player next season so definitely worth having around.

Richy- not good enough,just barges about and will hit wee hot spells but his overall game is pretty poor. Not great at anything and not quick enough to trouble decent defences.

Werner - something there but will let you down more than he produces because he can’t finish and goes through spells of looking dangerous then full of fear within minutes. We need brave wide players who are clinical. Don’t sign.

Johnson - enigma. Don’t ever know what we will get from him. Has no self confidence even when he’s going through a very good spell. His face when he makes mistakes shows that. Most of the time he’s 5 yards off the press but on the off occasion he’s up for it. We need miles more from £50 million player. Not clinical either and won’t score anything other than tap ins. We need a lot more from wide players.
Slowest fast player I’ve ever seen. Doesn’t want to use his main attribute enough.

Kulusevski- don’t know where to start with him. Up till today he’s been a disaster for about 6 weeks. I thought he looked back to his best today but we can’t wait 6 weeks for a player to be on form if we are to challenge for anything. He doesn’t score enough for a wide player and doesn’t mix his game up enough because he’s capable of going on his right and crossing or shooting because we’ve seen him do it.

I see all of these players as subs next season and hopefully the manager sees that too because these guys will only make us stagnate if they are first 11 players.

For us to get the best of Maddison we need clever players that can link the game with him as he will find the pass. All out front players are straight line players who can’t come in and play one twos,interchange with each other and create something out of nothing. That’s the type of front players we need when we play against low blocks because it’s difficult to get in behind.

Our recruitment in the summer must be spot on regarding signing front players. If not we will still be here next season in the same position. Its not our only problem but its one that changes the whole dynamic of the team.
yea agree. its worrying times when richarlison should be starting every game just on the fact he offers you fight and someone willing to have a scrap in the box....that says how bad the rest of the forwards are!

youre right. all of them are squad players for what we want to be! not one of them id be happy with starting in a big game where we need quality...no wonder maddison is struggling! KDB would struggle with that pile of shit in front of him every game...

I blame the pre-meditated goal celebrations... (I'm serious)

Dele was never quite the same after he started that weird 'curly finger salute over the eye' celebration (or whatever the fuck that was)

Sonny's 'camera thing' seems to have got in the way of his prolific goalscoring...

Richarlison's Pigeon Dance now seems a distant memory...

...and Maddison got too caught up in the whole Darts nonsense, that it seems to have curtailed any actual goalscoring ability he had...

Just stick to scoring, and going mental in front of the fans, that's all we ask...

Disagree with that. He works as hard as any of the midfielders. He’s pressing higher up and if the opposition get through that then obviously the other two are left in 3v2. When it comes to the press I think the two wide players are always 5 yards off the press and teams can get out too easy. To just blame madders is too easy.
He doesn't but i absolutely understand why you'd have that opinion if you're watching the game on TV. If however you've seen him live then I'm stunned that you're fooled by his 'for the cameras pressing'.

I blame the pre-meditated goal celebrations... (I'm serious)

Dele was never quite the same after he started that weird 'curly finger salute over the eye' celebration (or whatever the fuck that was)

Sonny's 'camera thing' seems to have got in the way of his prolific goalscoring...

Richarlison's Pigeon Dance now seems a distant memory...

...and Maddison got too caught up in the whole Darts nonsense, that it seems to have curtailed any actual goalscoring ability he had...

Just stick to scoring, and going mental in front of the fans, that's all we ask...

Hmmmm.....

He is looking weak and playing like a wimp. When he goes for a 50/50 it’s half hearted and he falls down far too much. Seriously he looked like he had brittle bone disease today.

He’s also very easily would up and when he gets petulant his game suffers. He has tremendous quality but as with so many of our players, he lacks the focus to deliver consistently. The guy who was getting stuck in and fighting hard in the first 10 games was a completely different player.

The guy who was getting stuck in and fighting hard in the first 10 games was a completely different player.
theres probably a couple reasons why, maybe more?

1. fed up with having a dog shit front 3 to work with

2. fed up with having a manager who will hang them out to dry and embarrass them with his naive tactics

they aint robots unfortunately. they are going to get pissed off when shit aint going right and its not being rectified.

you see it with salah and nunez now... when the donkey misses a chance hes put on a plate for him you can see in his body language hes sick of it...players get drained from having to suffer shit.

Last edited:
absolutely.

100% spot on mate.

Watch him live it's even more glaring, prances about like he's god's gift but does fuck all to warrant the arrogance he has.

I've seen fans turn on much better players for less which boggles the mind.

Lo Celso has proven he's better than him when he's played but our blinkered fans will take a player who was relegated last season over a player that has won trophies for his nation and was a key man for Villareal making it to the semi's of the CL, he doesn't do a darts celebration though or talk a good game so he's clearly inferior to the golden No 10.

The first half of his season and the second half couldn't be more contrasting. He's a fine player and will come good again but it's not likely to happen now until next season. He's also screwed his chances of making the England squad for the Euros this summer. A few months ago it wouldn't have been unfathomable for him not to go.

He is looking weak and playing like a wimp. When he goes for a 50/50 it’s half hearted and he falls down far too much. Seriously he looked like he had brittle bone disease today.

He’s also very easily would up and when he gets petulant his game suffers. He has tremendous quality but as with so many of our players, he lacks the focus to deliver consistently. The guy who was getting stuck in and fighting hard in the first 10 games was a completely different player.
He’s constantly fouled (much like Grealish) which probably has something to do with it.

Probably also mindful that’s how he got injured when he’s taking repeated pot shots to the ankles.

I wholeheartedly agree he needs to do better, and fear he’s believing his own hype atm.

He’s constantly fouled (much like Grealish) which probably has something to do with it.

Probably also mindful that’s how he got injured when he’s taking repeated pot shots to the ankles.

I wholeheartedly agree he needs to do better, and fear he’s believing his own hype atm.

All good players are fouled constantly, that’s the game of football. If he can’t put up with rough treatment then he’s not going to make it.

I wouldn’t say he got treated particularly roughly today yet he crumpled to the floor about 10 times.

Back
Top Bottom